Hot water cylinder overflowing when cold??

More
9 years 11 months ago #32409 by 3 girls farming
OK.. I know that when the hot water cylinder is very hot it can overflow out the pipe at the top and run down the roof but today we had water pouring out the top and the cylinder was cold (not through any fault but just because I haven't had the coal range running and thats the only hot water production in my house at the moment)...

What causes that? :confused: Could it have been happening for a while and we just happened to notice it today because we were walking past at the waterfall started?? What a shocking waste of water...

any ideas on what caused it???? and does it need fixing somehow... ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432944 by DiDi
I am not a plumber but if you were urban and you had water pouring out of your overflow valve (paying for every litre) you would be getting a plumber in. I am picking that you have a problem with the valve staying open and it needs sorting. Beyond that, I can't help. Sorry

More
9 years 11 months ago #432949 by Twinmills
There is a valve just below your cly called a ajax valve. There is normally a tap above and one below it, turn both these off. then on one side of the ajax valve you will see a small clyinder looking thing, held in place by two screws, undo and take it off. You will now see a brass flat bar slid in to two slots, slide that out and under that is a very small (normally plastic) egg cup shaped unit with a rubber washer inside it. Check that as normally if that getts a bit of shit or a grain of sand on it the stops it sealing off and water continues to run and ends up running out the cly overflow on the roof :) :)

While you have it apart turn the rubber washer over as well :D

Me and
sheep
Chooks
dog[:D][:D]

More
9 years 11 months ago #432951 by Stikkibeek
Ours was doing precisely that, a few weeks ago. OH took the ajax valve apart and it had some leaf debris that had come from the tank, wedged under it. Seems fine now.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 11 months ago #433059 by 3 girls farming
thanks everyone... another job to add to the weekend job list...

More
9 years 11 months ago #433073 by Anne
You need to have a fiddle before the weekend[:0]. If you get the fire going and start heating water, the water that will be coming out will be the hottest stuff - real waste of hot water.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds