internet icon displays a red cross through it even when connected

More
11 years 10 months ago #32403 by rob
I have looked under Google about this and I am getting even more confused.:confused:

I read if your wireless connection shows more than one network this is OK, ours shows 5, but when I go to my B.I.L. next door his shows 2 and his shows vertical columns. totally confused on this matter.

I have not put ant info about my PC yet as i maybe putting down info that is not important.

can anyone help me on this matter.

How can I fix this[:(!]

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #432881 by GrantK
It sounds to me as though you have two different network icons showing Rob:

- One for a wired connection which will be showing disconnected if you are using wireless
- One for a wireless connection which is showing the 5 bars of signal

If this is the case, you can hide the icon for the wired connection via "Properties" of that connection, accessed via Control Panel. If you confirm which version of Windows you are using, I can tell you exactly the steps you need to take.

Secondly, the fact that there are only 2 bars of signal next door at your BIL's place:

- Either his router is somewhere down the other end of the house
- Or it is actually your router you are seeing and not his

By hovering your mouse pointer over the signal strength bars (near the clock on your task bar) it will show the name of the network and you should be able to figure out which router you are looking at. Hopefully you have them set to different names, or else it will be confusing!

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 10 months ago #432907 by rob
sorry grant
bil shows 2 network connections,(that's his and mine) and 4 bars, my shows up to 5 network connections and the infamous red cross

we are wireless as well and i can see ours and i no the name

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #432912 by GrantK

rob;431424 wrote: ...
my shows up to 5 network connections and the infamous red cross

So is the red cross showing on the Task Bar or in the list of "Active Networks" or both places?

If you look in the list of Active Networks (accessed from the Network and Sharing Centre), do you see the usual vertical signal bars alongside ALL other networks apart from your own?

You're right; it is very peculiar that you are seeing a red cross alongside your own router's icon if indeed you are connected through it. That's why I'm wondering if in fact you are connected via somebody else's router, without realising it. If you can answer the above two questions, I can hopefully figure out what is going on.

More
11 years 10 months ago #432919 by rob
the red cross is showing on the Task Bar.
in the list of Active Networks, you see the usual vertical signal bars alongside ALL networks including my own.
i am connected to my own router.

what also happens is when we first power up our PC, on the task bar icon it shows: not connected.
but in the active networks it shows limited access, then changes to connected.

hope this helps

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #432930 by GrantK
OK, thanks for clarifying Rob. The behaviour you are seeing in "Active Networks" is fine; it's just the Task Bar icon that is playing up.

It makes me wonder if you have accidentally hidden the icon that should be there, and are showing another one from some old driver software. So try clicking the white upwards-pointing arrow to the left of your status icons/clock etc on the Task Bar. In there you may find the icon you are looking for.

Then it's a matter of getting rid of that invalid icon and there are two ways:

1) Hide it using the "Customise" option inside the box of hidden icons.
2) Uninstall whatever software is responsible for creating it using Control Panel | Programs & Features.

With Windows 7, you shouldn't need to install any extra driver software for wireless networks. It's all built in.

Of course, there is a chance I am barking up the wrong tree here regarding extra software being installed. But it seems the most likely possibility from my experience.

More
11 years 10 months ago #432933 by rob
i opened up the window and just clicked on show all icons, as i had a lot hidden and the red cross is still there, this just beats me up[:(!]

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #432940 by DiDi
I'm not sure I am following this but are you trying to log into your BIL's internet computer via WiFi?

I do have a friend (IT business) who is not taking on new customers but she MAY help you with this based on friendship. I am saying this, having just recently bought a Laptop and been all over the place trying to get it working but it is now. Not crazy money either!

My ISP provider was suggesting that I use certain numbers to connect but she disagreed and has it on Auto and the other thing was changing the channel you are receiving from. Let's say Channel six shows three names whereas Channel 11 may show seven users (but all are hidden in terms of connecting to them) but the difference here is that I never had the red cross of death. I have Vista (desktop) and now Windows 7 laptop and have had IMAP set up for email etc but none of it is straight forward. The red cross can surely only mean that you have no connection to your ISP provider so would a call in day hours to your ISP maybe help? Some techies are amazing and really take it on as a challenge - at least the Voda ones do! Love them! If they sound like a newbie reading the script, I just ask for someone more senior and don't seem to upset them in doing so. I know what I am doing (basically!) so expect the same from a techie and not be treated as an idiot!

More
11 years 10 months ago #432953 by GrantK

rob;431455 wrote: i opened up the window and just clicked on show all icons, as i had a lot hidden and the red cross is still there, this just beats me up[:(!]

Yes, but when you opened up the window, was the correct icon showing up in there with the vertical bars?

That's the important bit, getting hold of the correct icon. Never mind the red-crossed one for now!

More
11 years 10 months ago #432959 by rob
didi,

i can get access to my own network, i was using my bil as an example only.

the correct icon was not showing up in there with the vertical bars.

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #432981 by GrantK

rob;431482 wrote: the correct icon was not showing up in there with the vertical bars.

Hmmmm ... the plot thickens.

1) Did you install any extra driver software for your wireless adaptor?

2) Was your PC upgraded from an earlier version of Windows, or did it come pre-installed?

3) Has this problem always existed since you started using a wireless adaptor, or did it start by itself?

More
11 years 10 months ago #433020 by rob
1. I am not sure as everything is on auto update, if that makes sense

2. pre installed

3.it seemed to start by itself

4. I do appreciate this help from you

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #433023 by rob
I am sure someone else had this problem on LSB, but i cannot find the link anywhere

any suggestions Kate on a better way to look for it??

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #433037 by GrantK
OK, cheers Rob, you've answered pretty much everything possible. Here are some suggestions I found from the Microsoft website:

1. From the Network and Sharing Centre, select Manage Wireless Networks (on the left).

2. If there are several networks listed there that you no longer use, remove them.

3. ALSO ( this maybe the most important step), remove the network that will not connect properly - i.e. the one with the red x!

4. Your computer should then automatically search again for networks, and, with any luck, re-find yours and re-connect. If your network is protected, you will have to re-enter the security key.

See if any of that helps. There is another much lengthier process suggested, but people are reporting mixed results. After doing some research, it seems this problem has been around for quite a while, but it usually comes back to the installation of some third-party software that came with a modem or wireless adaptor of some kind. We have two Windows 7 laptops here, both running wireless and I've never installed any third-party wireless driver software on either of them. Just used the built-in Windows drivers and everything has worked flawlessly since day one.

More
11 years 10 months ago #433057 by rob
Grant,

www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/1586...ing-red-cross-2.html

found this link while looking and it is saying i am wired, not wireless.
i pressed F12 on keyboard. connect/no connection and it shows the vertical bars but shows not connected.
will carry on looking

Rob

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds