Dog breeding

More
9 years 11 months ago #32296 by Hawkspur
Dog breeding was created by Hawkspur
I just saw this follow-up to the BBC "Pedigree dogs exposed" programme:
Pedigree dogs exposed: 3 years on

Rather a big download for those without broadband, sorry.

This is the statement made at the end (note this is about the UK dog breed situation):
"...I believe we need a new independent regulatory body to drive through meaningful reform for dogs. Backed by government, the new authority could be funded by a new national registration scheme for all dogs, not just pedigree, enabling a joined up strategy to deal with the other pressing dog issues too: stray dogs, dangerous dogs and puppy farms.
We as consumers also have a responsibility to examine our attraction to dogs that would not look out of place in a Victorian freak show.. and to just say no to those suffering unacceptable levels of disease..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #431735 by Crusha
Replied by Crusha on topic Dog breeding
I saw the original, but have not seen the follow-up. Can I take it from that closing paragraph that nothing has changed in the intervening years? The Kennel Club is still sitting on it's hands and dogs (and in some cases their unsuspecting owners) are still suffering.

More
9 years 11 months ago #431758 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Dog breeding
The Kennel club has made some significant changes, including a very useful service to find out what the inbreeding coefficient of all breeds on average and of particular dogs. It does not allow the registration of dogs that have been bred by mother/son father/daughter or grandmother/grandson etc, but does allow the registration of dogs with an equivalent or greater cumulative inbreeding coefficient.

There have been changes to many breed standards removing extreme appearance comments, but the judges at each show have their interpretation.

There is no restriction on breeding from a dog with known hereditary health issues, and no limit on the number of progeny from one dog. One case was quoted where a dog with a high likelihood of passing on a disease had sired nearly 900 pups.

Each Crufts show, for 15 chosen breeds, the Best of Breed is vet checked before being allowed to go on to be eligible for Best in Group or Show. The Reserve does not take their place. The other breeds are not vet checked.
In 2012, at least 6 of the 15 failed the vet check. These were the Pekingese, Bulldog, English Mastiff, Neopolitan Mastiff, Basset and Clumber Spaniel. Another winner of a breed not in the 15 was noted as having a defect that would have failed it: severe ectropion.

A Dogue De Bordeaux, (I don't know whether it was awarded any prize) collapsed and died on the way out of the ring.

More
9 years 11 months ago #431776 by Crusha
Replied by Crusha on topic Dog breeding
I recall seeing photo's in the first show of (I think) Brittish Bulldogs and Basset Hounds from the late 1800's and you would hardly have recognised them as the same breed as todays versions. How can it be legally, ethically or even morally right to breed from an animal with known defects?

I know they focused on the disease that Cavalier King Charles Spaniels often suffer from (don't ask me to spell it!) given the immense pain that it can cause the sufferer how do the breeders get away with breeding from carriers? I wonder if there isn't some recourse through consumer legislation if not animal welfare Acts.

More
9 years 11 months ago #431815 by Hawai
Replied by Hawai on topic Dog breeding

Hawkspur;430161 wrote:

A Dogue De Bordeaux, (I don't know whether it was awarded any prize) collapsed and died on the way out of the ring.

I feel I have to comment on this Hawkspur because the context in which you've posted this will make people think Marley died as a result of some dreadful health condition that plagues the DDBx & this is simply not the case.
Marley was a seemingly healthly 3 year old bitch, she did collapse after leaving the ring but certainly did not drop dead, she was euthanased after being seen by the on site vets who diagnosed laryngeal paralysis. This is not a health issue specific the the Dogue de Bordeaux, it can happen to any dog at any time. Prior to her collapse there had been no concerns whatsoever with her health, she had in fact been anaesthetised a few months earlier for routine hip & elbow xrays & no problems were detected.

The best of breed Dogue de Bordeaux at Crufts passed the vet inspection with flying colours & went on to be judged in group.

PriorLaryngeal paralysis

More
9 years 11 months ago #431838 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Dog breeding
Thanks for that clarification. I could not find an explanation for its death when I looked. In hindsight (20/20) I would have been better off leaving the info out.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds