Homemade Laundry powder/liquid

More
9 years 11 months ago #32273 by thevarneys
I have made both the liquid and powder, recipe taken from Wendyl Nissen Green Goddess (though heaps recipes on te internet the same). So far it seems to work as well as bought stuff, minus the toxic chemicals, and a fraction of the price. My daughter is going to do her science fair project (year 7) on whether or not the home made stuff cleans as well as the bought stuff (cheaper of the range, ie not Drive or Persil).
If anyone interested will post the recipe, very easy. :D

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #431478 by tonic
yes please!

More
9 years 11 months ago #431481 by BlueSkyBee
Soapnuts are great too :)

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
9 years 11 months ago #431490 by KiplingAngel
Ooh Yes - recipe please!

More
9 years 11 months ago #431521 by diggs
Me to please

Kapiti

More
9 years 11 months ago #431541 by stephclark
me too or is it four? please...

More
9 years 11 months ago #431593 by kindajojo
I have been making mine for the last 12 months adjusted it a bit from the original recipe
half a cup washing soda
half a cup borax
half a block of sunlight soap (grated)
Dissolve the above in 1 litre of boiling water until dissolved
Add 7 litres of warm water. Mix and bottle

I also add half a cup of wool mix ...I could add eucalyptus oil but the wool mix was handy
Have been toying with using seaweed soap ..

Bottle in 2 litre milk bottles .....use half a cup per wash

Dont: try to hasten the dissolve process by using the kitchen whizz/blender...

It works really well, smells good and is cheap

More
9 years 11 months ago #432080 by Edenview
Where can you get borax? Have the rest, might give this a go sounds good!

More
9 years 11 months ago #432082 by shad297
You can get Borax from Binn Inn type of shops or Health food shops in cleaning section. Don't get the draincleaner type borax from hardware stores I think that one is a bit different?

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432100 by llvonn
I use my recipe as a powder. I have a frontloader washing machine.
My recipe is 2:1:1 ration of grated soap, borax and washing soda. I put it through the blender to get it even, then use 1-2 dessertspoons in the wash. Works well and no suds.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432115 by kindajojo
LLvon is that by weight or cup measure.?

More
9 years 11 months ago #432140 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Homemade Laundry powder/liquid
you can also get borax from the garden bit in Mitre 10, it is a treatment for borer and other things

More
9 years 11 months ago #432141 by SarahM
My skin gets itchy from commercial washing powder - even the sensitive stuff occasionally irritates me. I make a recipe similar to Kindajojo from the Wendyl Nissen recipes. I add in lavender/tea tree oil when I feel like it.

I have noticed a complete absence of itchy symptoms when using my homemade stuff, and I think it might be better for the septic system too.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432147 by thevarneys
I am slack for not checking on here and do apologise if anyone was waiting for the recipies. The recipe I use is basically the same as ones posted here (liquid and powder).
You can put white vinegar in your fabric softener compartment in your machine, or 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup washing soda and some eucalyptus/lavender/peppermint/ lemon essential oil (one, not all).
Daughter is doing her science fair project these next few weeks so will even post how effective it is compared to Ecostore liquid or powder (got free stuff with our washing machine).
If anyone who uses home made stuff is happy with the results, if they wanted to they could PM me with their comment so we can add that to the research bit on daughters project. We are giving samples to people up here to try and to comment on. :D :D :D :D

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432181 by Country Girl
I will definately try this thanks. I had a blocked drain the other day and used Wendyls recipe for that which worked amazingly 3/4 cup of baking soda down the drain and then 200mls white vinegar - the chemical reaction causes what can only be described as a bubbling volcano effect :) Wait for 10 minutes then flush with water - works a treat, no nasty chemicals fab :)

A pessimist is never disappointed

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds