Barefeet

More
11 years 8 months ago #32095 by bevhawkins
Barefeet was created by bevhawkins
I have a UK friend who's little lad has just started kindy, she gets very cross because he keeps taking his shoes and socks off there and she worries about catching something not to mention the filthy feet! I laugh and although I am UK born I accept that this is what Kiwi Kids do, but why do they do it? especially in the winter, I shudder when I see them run about in the wet and cold, it is unheard of in the UK?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #429228 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Barefeet
lol must be a kiwi thing my son now 19 wears barefeet, jandals ......or rugby boots......shoes are reserved for hatch, match and dispatch occasions....mind you he has feet like paddles and shoes are uncomfortable.....bit of a catch 22 really

More
11 years 8 months ago #429235 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Barefeet
Probably has it's roots in our pioneering days, when families were quite poor and shoes were a luxury that few could afford. I never wore shoes until I went to high school, where there was a uniform that had to be adhered to. Well I remember the chilblains and the stone bruises in the winter; barbed wire cuts, and slivers of broken glass, but, I still wear bare feet in the summer. . Also, because we have so few poisonous critters, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of risk, if you disregard all of the above :rolleyes: :p :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 8 months ago #429249 by X-Toma
Replied by X-Toma on topic Barefeet
I grew up in South Auckland and quite often went to school barefoot. No one thought anything of it. Family moved to Aus when I was 10 and I was told of for going to school in jandals. People looked at us like we were hillbillies when we went thru the shopping centre with no shoes on.

I came back to NZ from age 16-20 then moved back to Aus. I must of slipped into old habits and was once refused entry to the cinema because I wasn't wearing shoes! Though I did learn a valuable lesson once in Perth on a 40+ degree day when I went to the beach and got blisters on the soles of my feet!!

More
11 years 7 months ago #430062 by Panda
Replied by Panda on topic Barefeet
I also don't understand the barefoot thing. In Africa kids don't wear shoes, but that's because they can't afford them. There's no reason for it here, unless you're at the beach. While I'm at it....a couple of other things I don't understand - wearing pyjamas at the supermarket ???? And....why do cyclists ride on the wrong side of the road towards the traffic ???? Is there a different law here or what? :confused:

Murphy the dog. 4 chooks: Mocha, Otis, Betty and Suzi.

More
11 years 7 months ago #430067 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Barefeet
Cyclists who ride on the wrong side of the road facing the traffic are stupid and asking for trouble. A bicycle is a vehicle under the law so must travel on the left just the same as a motor vehicle.

More
11 years 7 months ago #430078 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Barefeet
hee hee, this is interesting! we always HAD to wear shoes in town, but pretty much went bare feet at home unless going out to do farm work.... now i have kids and they like to run around bare feet. i still prefer them to have shoes in town, though more to do with standing on broken glass etc than anything else. if i dress them up then they definietly wear shoes, but in relaxed situations i really do not care.

i have also taken the kids to the supermarket in pjs.... they are a bit older now (5 and 6 yrs) but when they were younger and it was chilly and they were snuggly in their all in one, zip up suits i really did not see the point in re dressing them and then trying to get them warm again just so they looked acceptable to others.

my mum says it shows a lack of class... which when i questioned her about she really couldn't justify. i think it is a relic from when it was more important how you looked to others, so long as my kids are comfortable, safe and well behaved i do not often consider others opinions to be that important. as is said now they are older the are usually dressed when we go out anyway, though they love pj days when they stay snuggled in their zip ups all day.

having said all that, i lost count of the comments from adults such as ' gosh aren't they gorgeous in their pjs, wish i could do that!'

More
11 years 7 months ago #430081 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Barefeet
i am a kiwi kid thru and thru..i have been barefoot my whole life.. for some reason i still seem to kick off my shoes and wonder around barefoot.. i dont realy realise it until some one asks why i am scooting around work in barefeet:o
the only time i definately wear shoes is around stock and horses.. even a night out will have me barefoot and carrying the shoes :)

one of my lasting memories as a kid was the wonderful feeling of breaking the ice on puddles on the way to school ( leave home in shoes, 1/2 way to school they were in my bag )

More
11 years 7 months ago #430119 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Barefeet
lol Panda..from choice I would wear bare feet....you are born with bare feet..its not natural to wear shoes....so where possible )I will go bare footed, besides it better for you feet...unfortunately I have to work in boots.
PJ's is just lazy although it is a fashion thing among some people see the craze for onezies (sp) no i don't get I but I done get low riders either.
Riding facing oncoming traffic is illegal but makes sense on narrow roads when you can see and avoid oncoming traffic..I also walk my horse facing traffic better to see it coming than have it on you at high speed and they don't pull over.

More
11 years 7 months ago #430169 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic Barefeet
The new Bishop of Wellington doesn't wear shoes . . .

More
11 years 7 months ago #430190 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Barefeet
I really don't understand why some people are bothered by bare feet. They are not worried by bare hands! There are very few situations where bare feet are a safety issue, and generally, that is where steel cap footwear is required.
Most little kids rip their shoes off whenever they can because bare feet are usually more comfortable, and because we feel a lot with our feet, and it is incredibly frustrating to miss out on things.

More
11 years 7 months ago #430196 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Barefeet
years ago I got threatened with disciplinary action on the grounds of health and safety for slipping off my shoes at work. I worked in an office any they said they did not want risking me getting paper cuts on my feet!

More
11 years 7 months ago #430199 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Barefeet
oh for srying out loud.. Kai thats insanity, also rather difficult to achieve..

More
11 years 7 months ago #430200 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Barefeet
Having lived in Asia where we wouldn't have dreamed of wearing shoes in the house, we realise that its a habit we could well copy here. Much cleaner! I'm in barefeet as often as I can get away with it and certainly wasn't taught it in NZ!

More
11 years 7 months ago #430204 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Barefeet
Thing that really annoys me is people who insist visitors remove their shoes in the house but let the filthy dogs wander in and out at will.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds