Finger cracks

More
11 years 8 months ago #429276 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Finger cracks

Ruth;427365 wrote: I no longer do any washing of anything - milk buckets, dishes, bathroom, etc. - without wearing gloves. I bought a box of Nitrile milking gloves and use them over and again until they get holes or disintegrate. They're thin and flexible and don't have powder, just a very smooth inside surface, so are easy to re-use. Otherwise the wetness was causing splits in my skin to a painful degree. Funny how our skin can't cope so well as we age.

Jeanie, we hammer our hands and think they're going to last forever. They don't. They are an odd combination of toughness and sensitivity but they do get to a point that if we over-abuse them, they throw in the towel. I suspect that yours have got to this point.

I spent a lifetime doing physical work - milking cows, pruning pines, thinning to waste, hay making, butchering etc. - and in the process my hands were either constantly immersed in water or covered with pine sap, oil, petrol, dairy detergent, or whatever. About 7 years ago they started to crack, it progressed to the skin sloughing off first the fingers and then the palms and finally the backs of both hands. I had neuro-dermatitis. They had thrown in the towel. I now wear dairy gloves for almost everything I do from milking the cows, washing the machine and pig buckets, drenching stock, gardening, weed spraying, in fact anything at all that may have an adverse reaction on my hands. Normal household detergents such as dishwashing liquid or Ajax don't seem to be a problem.

Invest in box of dairy gloves (I too use nitrile) and get into the habit of putting them on every time you go to do something involved with chemicals or water. They are around $20.00 a box of a hundred and like Ruth, I wear mine until they either rip or get a hole in them. I find the biggest problem is that they do stretch with wear and when I put the cups on a cow, find a finger has gone in with the teat and I'm attached[;)]
Also find a good barrier cream - not a hand cream - and try to get into the habit of using it several times a day.

But first, buy those gloves!

Just to add, I also have fungal nails on five digits - 3 on one hand, two on the other. Ugly and almost impossible to heal. The reason? Too much water and chemicals. While not confined to, a problem largely associated with hairdressers, butchers and farmers.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #429277 by brodie
Replied by brodie on topic Finger cracks
I use gloves where I can but as I work with horses it's not practical to do so at work.Scullys lavender gardeners hand cream or body shop body butter (a hypoallergenic one or it makes my hands break out worse than the cracks)are my hand creams of choice and when the splits are bad I wrap them up in honey and band aids.

2 dogs,2 kids,goldfish,20-ish chooks,2 axolytl,2 turtles,Lotsa free-range pigeons, budgies, pekin, cayuga & muscovy ducks + their babies, 5 horses,a cockatoo called Charlie and no money...[:D][:D];)

More
11 years 8 months ago #429299 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Finger cracks

Anne;427443 wrote: That will be aqueous cream. Its also used as a soap substitute. Can be bought cheaply at a pharmacy.

That's the one my doctor proscribed (Aqueous Cream BP) will know to get it from the chemist in future, I also think gloves are a necessity in the garden, and as you get older circulation becomes a problem for fingers in cold weather, I use half a Ginkgo max 8000 tablet a day, if it's a problem I go to half morning and evening, but mostly half in the morning does the trick. I get the Ginkgo max from healthpost.co.nz

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
11 years 8 months ago #429319 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Finger cracks
Thanks for all those comments. Since yesterday I've been monitoring how often I have my hands in water and am amazed - much more than I thought. So will get some gloves! I do wear gloves when gardening and today when putting the homekill meat in the freezer (it was already frozen). Have tried calmurid but with limited success but love the Herb Farm products so will try the paw paw cream and the aqueous as well.
They are such small things but so painful and I'm glad I asked! Thanks again.

More
11 years 8 months ago #429330 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Finger cracks
I always wear gloves whenever I can, but have to be careful to choose non-latex, as I have developed an allergy to it over the years, and get peeling skin and itching within a few minutes if I forget. I also use, believe it or not, MilkEze (yes, an udder cream!) on my hands when they start to get rough, which is usually about now in winter.

More
11 years 8 months ago #429361 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic Finger cracks
I suffer (or used to suffer) from shocking splits in my heels.. friend told me to use Merino Lanolin Skin creme.. can get it from Countdown for about $6 (50g) and it's worth it's weight in gold.. I had splits that I'd had for years heal in a week... cheap enough to slather it on thick and it will really help.. hope you get some relief from all this advice.. something has to work for you.. all the best

More
11 years 8 months ago #429371 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Finger cracks
I have found cracked heel cream very effective. I saw a lady recently and she was putting lip balm on splits on her fingers, said she was desperate and if it worked on her lips then she would give anything a go.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 8 months ago #429378 by Kiwismum
Replied by Kiwismum on topic Finger cracks
I have spent my whole life battling bad skin in my hands. Many years ago when they were particularly bad, the pharmacists told me to soak them in Pinetarsol for 20 minutes a day. I was very sceptical but it certainly made a big difference.

Now I find my hands are the best they have ever been and I am putting it down to using an iodine based cream on the cows udders when I milk. Any excess is just rubbed into my hands. Since I have been doing this I have not had any problems at all.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
11 years 8 months ago #429388 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Finger cracks

The Kats Place;427561 wrote: ... she was putting lip balm on splits on her fingers, said she was desperate and if it worked on her lips then she would give anything a go.

I do the same, since I always carry a chap-stick in my camera bag (belt bag, goes with me everywhere) and those splits really hurt in the cold! When one hasn't a plaster, lip-salve is great - except if you want to be doing something non-greasy with your hands, of course. [;)]

More
11 years 8 months ago #429405 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Finger cracks
I'm a big fan of Paw Paw cream too, but my friend has bad heel cracks and was told to use Rawleigh's Salve and it worked a treat. Trouble is the silly old sod forgets to use it once it stops hurting so the cracks split open again after a period of time.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 8 months ago #429431 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Finger cracks
I just use a smidge of coconut oil - and of course gloves!!!

I don't like using the alcohol based hand sanitisers - they sting, stink and dry my skin out horribly - also don't like the idea of killing Everything...

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds