cutting back manuka

More
11 years 11 months ago #428830 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic cutting back manuka
3girls, I started buying and selling animals about 40 years ago. One of the important bits of advice I got was that a breeding animal needed good wide hips. As you have had 2 girls, if the births were easy then you have good hips ..... and if they were difficult then you have small hips :-)
Scrub cutting on a slope is a very good way to get extra weight under control. But .... never wear gumboots when on steep slopes. I slid 50 meters down a slope that I was spraying. It was very scarey waiting for my legs or hips to break :-(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #428831 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic cutting back manuka

LongRidge;426973 wrote: Scrub cutting on a slope is a very good way to get extra weight under control. But .... never wear gumboots when on steep slopes. I slid 50 meters down a slope that I was spraying. It was very scarey waiting for my legs or hips to break :-(

Jeez if I took your advice LR, I'd never get any spraying done!

I wear thigh-length gumboots (the long ones) so that less of the spray gets on my jeans and more on my boots. Admittedly they are Skellerup 4x4s with decent tread, and yes I have slipped over a few times and bruised my ar$e but it's all in a day's work, and no real harm done.

There's usually something to grab hold of, even if it's shoving your boots into the next Gorse bush to stop yourself sliding. Gumboots are by far the most practical boots to wear when spraying for the reason mentioned above.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 11 months ago #428899 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic cutting back manuka
It's OK LongRidge... I lost 87 kilos two and a half years ago.. no weight worries here!!!!! hahaha

More
11 years 11 months ago #428914 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic cutting back manuka
Blooming heck 3 girls - that is awesome! That is more than I weigh and I am here going I would ideally like to lose at least 10kg. If it wasn't stomach stapling (that is ok too) that shows your strength big time. Well done you!

More
11 years 11 months ago #428996 by 3 girls farming
hahah DiDi... it was the kind of 87 kilos that packs his bags and goes to find a 'better' life... since then I just haven't had the chance to put any weight on .. too busy and SOOO much happier...

More
11 years 11 months ago #429000 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic cutting back manuka
Grant, I thought that I had good tread on my gumboots, but the ground surface conditions were just right to make gumboots slippery. The extra weight made me even less safe, even though I had done lots of spraying without an accident before,

More
11 years 11 months ago #429012 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic cutting back manuka

LongRidge;427161 wrote: Grant, I thought that I had good tread on my gumboots, but the ground surface conditions were just right to make gumboots slippery. The extra weight made me even less safe, even though I had done lots of spraying without an accident before,

Oh I think I get it now: You were using a backpack sprayer?

Almost all of my spraying is done with a 100 metre hose on a wind-up drum attached to my trailer sprayer. Admittedly, dragging the 100 metres of hose back up the hill again is a bit of a chore, but it's not as bad as lugging 16 Litres of spray on your back!

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 11 months ago #429341 by RayH
Replied by RayH on topic cutting back manuka
hey there , yep im still interested in cutting them down for you well what i can anyhow.. just waiting to finish my bathrooms and shed that is 85.45% completed should be done in next week ...after many delays... we got ripped off by plasterer in ashurst did a great job on shed then ensuite did the walls and rough job on ceiling and took 4 visits arrived on final day to finish ceiling stayed for 30 mins took money and ran ...well drove in his red ute !! whats worse his son is my 1st cousins partner !! crazy man..soi dont reccomend him if your getting plastering done in ashurst etc message me ill tell you who it is ....anyway yep so prob in 2 weeks ill be up to help

More
11 years 11 months ago #429343 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic cutting back manuka

3 girls farming;427156 wrote: hahah DiDi... it was the kind of 87 kilos that packs his bags and goes to find a 'better' life... since then I just haven't had the chance to put any weight on .. too busy and SOOO much happier...

You nearly owed me a new keyboard!!! Lucky I hadn't yet taken a mouthful. Obviously a very good plan!

More
11 years 11 months ago #429350 by 3 girls farming
glad to give you a laugh Anne... try not to spray the keyboard with wine.. that's alcohol abuse!!!!!

Ray... anytime .. always welcome.. bring the family... we'll put them ALL to work.. hehehee...

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds