Cattle Genomic Breeding - interesting article

• Andrea
11 years 8 months ago #32013 by Andrea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #428419 by Ruth
The NZ dairy industry has gone down the track of using fewer and fewer bulls, seemingly only chasing milk production and fertility has steadily dropped. It's a risky path to take.

Writing that, I realise I've hung my herd's future on two pedigree hooks, myself. Almost the whole lot of them are related to one cow and/or one bull now. Sink or swim?

More
11 years 8 months ago #428442 by tonic
i beleive nz does have a good focus on fertility. my family works for lic and fertility is considered seriously when bulls are selected. of course the farmers want high production too so there has to be a balance or they will not buy the semen....

my dad works for the reproductive unit at lic, researching fertility and advising vets and farmers of ways to improve it.

my parents worked with irish dairy farmers for 2 years and were amazed at how low fertility was and that it was considered normal. usually with those following the usa model though, those buying nz genetics were doing better. i understand we have pretty good fertility compared to most countries with a 'developed' dairy industry.

More
11 years 8 months ago #428450 by Ruth
Interesting. When I was doing AB, Friesian fertility appeared to be slipping quite quickly and many were becoming concerned about it. That would be 12 years ago now, I guess. There needed to be a focus on it!

More
11 years 8 months ago #428456 by tonic
in my experience lic seems pretty good at noticing such negative trends and trying to stop them. like i said it is tricky trying to juggle what the dairy farmers want with a long term plan like increasing fertility, esp if it means recommending they use bulls with lower production values for example.

my parents were very interested in the differences in ireland where a lot of the farmland is similar to nz, but the farming style is similar to the us. they ended up travelling to do a series of seminars on fertility and reproduction as they felt it would make a positive difference. not a lot of point in trying to sell specific genetics when the cows are not cycling properly...

More
11 years 8 months ago #428457 by Ruth

tonic;426556 wrote: ...it is tricky trying to juggle what the dairy farmers want with a long term plan like increasing fertility, esp if it means recommending they use bulls with lower production values for example....

But that's crazy. Fertility is the beginning of milk production!

You need to get your shift key fixed! [;)]

More
11 years 8 months ago #428460 by tonic

Ruth;426557 wrote:

You need to get your shift key fixed! [;)]

i know, isn't it shocking!

More
11 years 8 months ago #428461 by Ruth
Now you're teasing me - you can't do a ? without shift! Too bad!!!!

More
11 years 8 months ago #428522 by tonic
LOL. OH NO! NOW IT IS STUCK ON...

Sorry, stopping now before I get carried away.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds