'copyright' on photos/images

• Andrea
10 years 2 weeks ago #31989 by Andrea
'copyright' on photos/images was created by Andrea
Whilst looking for images I can legally use in a newsletter I've been working on, I came across a photo from MY website, which someone has used in an ebook without my permission. It credits the URL from which the photo comes, but they have not asked me if they can use it.

This isn't about any sort of financial gain, just about the fact that they didn't ask! This same photo appears in several publications, but I have always been asked for, and given (for no financial gain), permission for its use.

What can I do about this? Worth pursuing with the person who's used it the photo?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428116 by gemini kiwi
I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago, I was looking on this particular website I used to participate on until it all went pear shaped and noticed this newbie was using my Angora Goat "Tinx" photo as her avatar. I had to do a double take, the nerve, she is our favourite. I sent this cheeky little buggar a private email asking her to remove my goat as her avatar. It was this persons first post on this list, and I have heard nothing since, but I shall be checking on her from time to time. I don't know what else I can do apart from what I have done already.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428117 by Stikkibeek

Andrea wrote: What can I do about this? Worth pursuing with the person who's used the photo?

I did. I came across a photo I took and posted on these pages. LSB got the credit. I wrote to the person concerned and the credit is now mine. I was not seeking financial gain either, but it is nice to be acknowledged for ones own work. Perhaps we should watermark our photos with something we feel is appropriate.
With my other hat as a Freelance Journalist, perhaps all of us should be more mindful of protecting copyright. I have had my articles stolen and photographs used in small town newspapers before. I lent a photo to a proud parent of a child who won some award for swimming, (to get a copy for themselves) and next thing my picture is "sublet" to a newspaper. I was not acknowledged for that nor paid for my contribution.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428119 by gemini kiwi
A friend in Israel had photo's of her fibre art poached and listed on this person's site in Chile as her own creations. She mentioned it on facebook so everyone gave them a good telling off and her photo's were removed, other artists from Chile were very embarassed and kept apologising. Her site doesn't look half as impressive now since other artists looked to see what was going on and also saw their work listed.
Some people must be a bit thick to think they can get away with poaching other artists work like that with a power of social media these days.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428121 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic 'copyright' on photos/images
I have the same problem with photos and text lifted directly from my website. If I spot it I send a polite but stern email to whomever I can identify as responsible. I've never been thanked or apologised to in retrospect. Some people are rude and lack their own creativity.

I would be extremely peeved to find my images in someone else's publication without my express permission.

I've liked giving free use to those who have asked for various reasons and publications, so far non-profit purposes. If they were for profit, I'd expect a different arrangement.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428126 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic 'copyright' on photos/images
I am always very careful to get permission from the copyright holder for any text/photos I use in other publications, and have found people to be very gracious and only too happy for me to use their work providing it is correctly acknowledged. I always give the copyright holder the option to choose the acknowledgement text as well as giving them an idea of where I might use the text/image in the future, and have never been turned down yet. A simple thing to do, but so very important.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you can copy photos for your own use - for instance, I've often copied photos of quilts to my hard drive for use as inspiration, but not for publication. Is this acceptable? The creation of an exact copy or something sufficiently similar as to be identified as the original creator's work does breach copyright, however there are some patterns that are so old that they are now firmly in the public domain and therefore don't breach copyright. A fine line, really.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428128 by muri
Replied by muri on topic 'copyright' on photos/images
Where are you Mr Dotcom? And your opinions please.
When its happened on trade me, people using my photos to sell their product, I have emailed them direct and said its my intellectual property and they will be reported to trade me. They have had to take the watermark with your name off to resize it then use as their own. Its happened a few times and they have been prompt in changing their photos after my email.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428142 by Ruth

Mich;426199 wrote: ...The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you can copy photos for your own use - for instance, I've often copied photos of quilts to my hard drive for use as inspiration, but not for publication. Is this acceptable? The creation of an exact copy or something sufficiently similar as to be identified as the original creator's work does breach copyright, however there are some patterns that are so old that they are now firmly in the public domain and therefore don't breach copyright. A fine line, really....

I personally have no problem with people retaining a copy of photos I put online for their own computer-based use. If someone wanted to print a wall-copy of a picture, they'd be better to ask me for it, because otherwise the quality would be horrid.

It's all about the misrepresentation of someone's work as someone else's, and I've actually never understood that, in that why would you feel proud of something you'd produced which wasn't your creation anyway? Maybe it's different for people for whom creativity isn't a gift they possess? Perhaps it's fine then, if creativity, as a human "gift" and therefore what's mine is anyone's. But not if someone then buggers off and makes money out of it which should accrue to me, to support my life and whatever it is I'm creating!

I too have copied pictures for inspiration on some projects. It's a little like taking notes at a lecture, and I'm always careful that they really are only a source of ideas, not the actual form or appearance of the creation itself.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428152 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic 'copyright' on photos/images
This thread is a timely reminder of the correct procedure to follow when uploading someone else's copyrighted photos to their own website. As it happens, one of our members who is a professional photographer sent me some mouth-watering photos of Dexter meat yesterday. I have now uploaded them to the society's website, along with a link attributing copyright to the owner:

http://www.dexter-cattle.co.nz/benefits

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428165 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic 'copyright' on photos/images
It's all about the misrepresentation of someone's work as someone else's, and I've actually never understood that, in that why would you feel proud of something you'd produced which wasn't your creation anyway? Maybe it's different for people for whom creativity isn't a gift they possess? Perhaps it's fine then, if creativity, as a human "gift" and therefore what's mine is anyone's. But not if someone then buggers off and makes money out of it which should accrue to me, to support my life and whatever it is I'm creating!

Hi Ruth - I agree with you, except that it's important to separate out the deliberate theft of someone's idea to make money out of your own reproduction of it, compared with the use of patterns/templates etc that are in the public domain and freely available for use - of which there are numerous examples - e.g. free online knitting/quilting/craft patterns or clipart etc. For purchased patterns etc, the general rule of thumb is that you may use them for your own personal use and, in some cases, you can make small numbers for sale, but large-scale use for sale isn't on unless you get the permission of the author/owner.

I disagree with the notion of not being proud of one's work if you use someone else's idea/pattern/whatever. I regularly make quilts using patterns that aren't my original ideas but are in the public domain or I purchase, and am often very proud of the end result. The skill with which I make them and the desire to make the product as perfect as I can is a goal I constantly try to achieve. That's not to say I'm totally lacking in creativity, but often I just like the pattern. :D However I would never attempt to make money out of a copyrighted pattern without the express written permission of the copyright holder. That's a line one just doesn't cross.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428166 by Ruth

Mich;426244 wrote: ...I disagree with the notion of not being proud of one's work if you use someone else's idea/pattern/whatever. ...

I did not express that part clearly enough, having more in mind people who cut and paste electronic text or pictures and then "create" things to which they append their own names. Handcrafts are an entirely different thing and I agree with you entirely. I'm extremely pleased with the things I've created from other people's patterns, because while I do not have the skill to create a pattern of my own, I can knit or stitch and that is my own work, albeit guided by the pattern of someone else. :)

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428168 by stephclark
i believe that if the image is for personal use and it was in the public domain, no problem.. its when it is used for financial gain or republished with correct acknowledgement.. then that is a problem..
i work in the multimedia industry, we create alot of imagery for events,we do purchase the odd image.. but most is straight out of the public domain, ( google images ) but as the event is a private affair and the media is not for public display.. we dont have the copyright issues.. same with using music..

on a similar note..we have a trademarked and copyrighted logo.. didnt stop a company in Taupo using it, just different colours..same font and tag line..
we contacted them and they were horrified.. turns out they had contracted a designer to create the logo for them, just happened to be someone who had worked at the same place we had ours done 10 years earlier..as if we wouldnt notice eh?

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428233 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic 'copyright' on photos/images
I agree with everything that has been written 100%

but

I have a daughter in Y11 doing arts. All they are doing is canvassing the Internet, printing out pictures they find there and making up collages or copy it by painting the same thing - at least that's what I get to see. Then their name is added to the work and it is marked.

Today's youngsters are so used to having everything available at their finger tips that they don't think anything about using somebody else's image for their own purposes. Now what's done at school is never for monetary gain but once they leave school they don't suddenly change their attitude - they just continue to do what they have been doing for 13 years. Also today's generation thinks they are entitled to everything for free - 'because I'm worth it' or whatever else the media tell them to believe.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428303 by lydiar
Replied by lydiar on topic 'copyright' on photos/images
One idea which might prevent this happening in the future would be to add a watermark to your published photos so they can't be stolen without proper reference.
A Google search for "watermarking photos" brings back a variety of options.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #428322 by Ruth
I've considered watermarking, but the point of posting photos is to show a picture, clearly, without a nasty smudge across it diminishing its quality.

Anything small enough not to do that, could be cropped out of a copy by someone wanting to use it anyway.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds