Amazing pictures of the Transit of Venus

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #31945 by GrantK
Those of you with fast broadband connections can view some amazing time-lapse movie clips of the Transit of Venus here:

venustransit.gsfc.nasa.gov/data

It has just finished a few minutes ago at 4:43pm and NASA have now posted the "Egress" sequences as well.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #427566 by Ruth
I tried to see it in the fleeting moments of sun breaking through the almost relentless cloud. I was watching in my observatory (dark shed, holes in the tin) and thought I saw it, but then realised it had legs: Transit of Spider.

I may have seen it in a puddle, when there was enough cloud to keep the brightness low enough to watch for a second, around 2.30pm, when I think it was somewhere in the middle of its journey across the sun?

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #427571 by GrantK
2:30pm would have been about 2/3rds of the way across because it started at about 10:30am. Around 4pm when the clouds rolled away, I tried to see it by using binoculars projected onto a sheet of white paper, but the image was too small and blurry. A proper telescope on a stand projecting onto a sheet of white card would have been the ticket.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #427577 by Ruth
My puddle glimpse was only very quick, but I'm sure I saw that dot!

I must console myself with having Venus with my own eyes in the sky back in about 1996, when it was very close to the earth and remained visible after dawn for some time.

Comet McNaught I associate primarily with angry bees and Halleys with late-night washing gathering in New North Road in Auckland. (It was my washing. [;)])

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds