Cat people - need info for seizuring cat

• Andrea
10 years 1 month ago #31927 by Andrea
I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow, but as it doesn't appear urgent at the moment, I'm asking here, mostly so I can ask useful questions of the vet.

So, approx 1 3/4 years old, neutered male, a cat dumped here about a year ago. When dumped here, we, along with the vet, guessed he was a spring kitten, so about 9 months old when we got him. We had him vet checked at first to make sure he was ok, and then shortly thereafter had him neutered.

He must have some kind of Asian cat in him the way he wanders about the house yowling to himself. Not loud, jut sort of muttering to himself.

Oh, and he's also strictly an indoor cat.

So, about a month ago, he had what appeared to my untrained eye a small and short seizure. Sort of got all wobbly and then fell over on his side. It was over before it started. That was it.

But today, he has had 3 similar episodes today, and this time he seems quite frightened, as the episodes have lasted about a minute each, and yells very loudly unless he's held. He gets all wobbly in his legs, barely seems to be able to hold his own weight up, and this last episode a few minutes ago his head wobbles back and forth, and when held still it's his eyes moving back and forth quite rapidly.

When it was done, he went straight off to have his dinner with the rest of the cats, and now he's cleaning himself in front of the fire.

What could this likely be, and what can I expect the vet to be able to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #427284 by eelcat
I understand that cats can have epilepsy, but that so few vets know much about it it is difficult to actually diagnose. I'd be watching as closely as possible to give the vet as much info as possible.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 1 month ago #427285 by kate

Web Goddess

More
10 years 1 month ago #427288 by Andrea1
Thanks, Kate and eelcat - I've been reading heaps this evening, and it appears that there are many causes for seizures in cats, hence my post.

More
10 years 1 month ago #427293 by Aria
We once had a cat with a similar problem - had it physically examined but with no conclusion... Eventually it started turning in circles during the episodes and then started toileting in wardrobes ... seemed to be really confused and frightened. We had it pts as the vet couldn't say whether or not it was/wasn't in pain during these episodes. The only explanation offered was a possible head injury. Not easy! Best wishes.

More
10 years 1 month ago #427373 by Andrea1
Thanks, everyone. Took Nunu to the vet first thing this AM, and she said that she could find nothing medically wrong with him (temp fine, lungs clear, no heart murmur), and what I described doesn't sound like a seizure, but she's not sure what it is.

We're to keep a close watch on him and report back, and if we can get any of the 'fit' on video, to please do so so she can see just what it looks like. Further to that, she would do bloods and xray, but she said at this stage, it's not necessary.

More
10 years 1 month ago #427407 by Stikkibeek
I would suggest that although he is a young cat, then there's a strong possibility of kidney failure. My old Birman started his symptoms with seizures, but with regular steroids and good care, he lived until he was 18.5.
A simple blood test will confirm or otherwise. The poor kidney function can lead to neurological damage, hence the seizures. Other symptoms may be drinking excessive water and peeing a lot.
A brain infection also a possibility. Take hold of his head so he's facing you and keep his head still. Does he have involuntary eye movements that affect vision; ie. rapid flickering of the eyes, (or nystagmus) usually sideways. Quite often this is more pronounced one way. This may make him vomit, (like he was seasick). Does his seizure cause him to lose control of bowel or bladder? Tumour in the brain also a possibility, the other is lead poisoning. Expensive to test for the latter.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 1 month ago #427408 by Stikkibeek
I would suggest that although he is a young cat, there's a strong possibility of kidney failure. My old Birman started his symptoms with seizures, but with regular steroids and good care, he lived until he was 18½.
A simple blood test will confirm or otherwise. The poor kidney function can lead to neurological damage, hence the seizures. Other symptoms may be drinking excessive water and peeing a lot.
A brain infection also a possibility. Take hold of his head so he's facing you and keep his head still. Does he have involuntary eye movements that affect vision; ie. rapid flickering of the eyes, usually sideways. Quite often this is more pronounced one way. This may make him vomit, (like he was seasick). Does his seizure cause him to lose control of bowel or bladder? Tumour in the brain also a possibility, the other is lead poisoning. Expensive to test for the latter.

More
10 years 1 month ago #427414 by Andrea1
Thanks for your input, sb - will ask vet when we take him back. He doesn't drink or pee excessively (this is one of the things DS has been watching for, as the cat's water and the dirt box are in his room), and the holding the head thingy is one of the things the vet did to rule out a brain infection (sorry, in a bit of an information-overload!). I wondered also about a tumour, but the vet said his behaviours aren't consistent... anyway, will keep an eye on my dear boy (I'm HIS, apparently - he is my secretary cat - whilst I'm working he sits on my diary and flicks pens, paper, whatever, all over the place). :D

More
10 years 1 month ago #427432 by Stikkibeek
For those of you with "secretary cats" here's my favourite internet pic. "Something's crashed on my keyboard"
funnydb.com/big_21218894313.jpg

Just to cheer you up Andrea.

More
10 years 1 month ago #427442 by 3 girls farming
I know it's a different species but my dog started doing that.. turned out to be a brain tumour and eventually after much sadness my beautiful dog was put to sleep... symptoms started as little fits when the dog was very scared afterwards, unable to reverse (would get stuck in chair legs), through to fear driven agression towards the end... I hope it's not that with your cat but if your vet thinks that's what you've got I would suggest a peaceful end sooner rather than later... my dog was left way too long in retrospect.. fingers crossed I'm wrong...

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds