Buying a new computer

More
11 years 8 months ago #31919 by ronnie
Buying a new computer was created by ronnie
Hello all knowledgable computer people.

My old HP computer and Epson printer are in their final death throes so its time to replace both.
I think I would prefer desktop rather than laptop.
I spend most of my time answering and sending emails with the usual websites to visit. Don't view any video, but that may change with a computer that can handle them. Same with photos - don't store a lot of them as camera also sort of died as it wont talk to the computer.
Has been suggested a colour laser printer would be the way to go so no more ink cartridges to cause me grief. Printer is used for the usual stuff plus invoices and address labels etc. and is used every day.
Also need a new monitor as mine is the old 14 inch that looks like a telly.

So, what are your suggestions and rough price for a package please. I am a computer novice, so the technical stuff will go right over my head. There is not an unlimited budget for this purchase.
Where would be the best place to purchase from - retailer or online store and who is reputable to deal with.

I have been offered an ex business lease computer (by a bloke who makes his living by selling these) with new monitor at a sensible price. Not sure if that is the best way to go, or spend the extra and buy new.
Please pm me if you prefer

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #427233 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Buying a new computer
Hi Ronnie,

we purchased a new desk top computer recently. Be aware that what once was 'Windows' is now split up into different packages. You don't get 'Word' with it anymore, only 'Word Starter' which is of no use whatsoever or, alternatively, a 30 day trial of Word. Once these 30 days are up you have the choice between paying $$$ or not having a word processor. Also 'Outlook Express' is no more.

We've got computer experts in the family and have gone with Linux/Ubuntu which is available for free.

If the package offered to you is reasonably priced and is NOT Windows Vista I'd go for it. You'll have everything set up as opposed to having the hassle of having to purchase more products as time goes by.

More
11 years 8 months ago #427235 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Buying a new computer
Thanks Simkin,

I bought Microsoft Office a few years ago so am assuming I can download that again onto whatever computer I buy as I still have the original disk. Could not live without a word processor.

More
11 years 8 months ago #427236 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Buying a new computer
My first recommendation to most is Apple they make high quality, very simple & user friendly products. But a basic package from them will set you back around 1300-1500$ + printer
If your wanting cheaper or want to go Win7 I've found dodgybasterds to be good on price & service (despite the name) you could get something like one of these AIO (All In Ones) + A colour laser from HP or Fuji for around 1200$ + shipping & given your requirements don't appear to be hefty at all I'd say they should more than suffice.

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
11 years 8 months ago #427237 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Buying a new computer
I recently bought a new computer. A friend built it for me and I paid for the parts - she loves doing the techy stuff, so didn't charge me labour. It has fast everything, huge RAM, a mirror hard-drive so if anything craps out, I don't lose it all. She put Windows 7 on it and as Simkin says, no email, no Word. I'm now using OpenOffice which has the equivalent of Word and Excel and a database and various other things. It's more similar to the old Word programme I had than the new Word I tried for a month, which I found incredibly frustrating to try and figure out.

Printer? I have a monochrome laser Canon printer and you do still need to buy cartridges to make it work. I never print colour, so it seemed pointless to buy a more expensive colour printer.

More
11 years 8 months ago #427239 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Buying a new computer
What Ruth has said regarding OpenOffice is good advice. It's very similar to Office 97 if you are familiar with that. The "ribbon" in Office 2007/2010 does take some getting used to, and I still haven't managed to find where all the functions are that I knew in Office 97. Inger uses OpenOffice on her laptop and it does all she needs. I have some files with macros in them that were written for Office 97. They would need a complete re-write for OpenOffice so I have upgraded to Office 2007 out of necessity. If OpenOffice will do the job for then go for it. You could download and try it, and if you don't like it, stump up for Office 2010 once the 30 day trial expires.

I'll do a bit of research on the PC part of it, and post something later.

What Scuba_Steve has posted regarding Colour Printers is also good advice. About the cheapest Colour Laser you will find is around $700 if memory serves correctly, and although the per page costs are cheaper than inkjet, you will be up for a lot of money when the toner cartridges come up for replacement. There are usually 4 of them (CMYK) and they typically cost upwards of $100 each. The cartridges initially shipped with the printer are usually "starter" cartridges which means they only last for 1/2 or 1/3 the time the full-priced ones do. Therefore, when those run out, you will be looking at $400 to $500 just to get printing again. They can be replaced individually though, so at least you aren't hit with that cost all at once.

I'll get back to you later re PC options. As Simkin says -- avoid anything with Vista at all costs. I find Windows 7 really good, although I still have a desktop running XP. You will struggle to find an XP machine now though unless it's pretty old, and in any case I wouldn't recommend it. A lot of things like uploading and playing video clips from cameras simply work much better in Windows 7. In many ways, it's what Vista should have been from the beginning, but they rushed it out to market before it was ready.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 8 months ago #427241 by Ruth
I bought my b/w Canon printer for under $50 with a "cash back" redemption. Its toner was twice that price, but I bought one then anyway, so I'd be set to go for some time - except now I can't remember where I stashed the toner! It's not a perfect machine, but I only print invoices, the occasional business letter and drafts of articles I'm writing.

More
11 years 8 months ago #427245 by GrantK

ronnie;425238 wrote: I bought Microsoft Office a few years ago so am assuming I can download that again onto whatever computer I buy as I still have the original disk. Could not live without a word processor.

It depends on which version it is. 2003/7/10 will be fine. Anything older will probably not work, and Office 97 definitely won't work.

More
11 years 8 months ago #427246 by GrantK
Regarding a Desktop PC, here is a good option from a company I trust:

www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB40...riple-Core-3500-WITH

They don't have any branches in the South Island though, so probably not the best option for you. I have listed the details as a reference that you could use when presenting your requirements to a local company. Also the price of $599+GST gives you some idea of what you should be paying.

A desktop system like this would do all you need and more. It includes Windows 7 64-bit edition, so you will be "future-proofed" for some time.

You will also need to buy an LCD Monitor, and here are some pointers in that respect:

- If you have the space, go for a 22" or 24" widescreen, you won't regret it
- Don't choose less than 19"
- Good brands are LG, Samsung or Dell
- I wouldn't recommend HP or Acer
- Choose one with a Matte finish if you will be working with a lot of text (Glossy is better for movies, but the reflections are a real pain for working with text)

More
11 years 8 months ago #427253 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Buying a new computer
We had a disk with Windows/Word, too, but they make absolutely sure that new computers won't run it. Microsoft puts more effort in making people pay for every little bit of software than for user convenience and ease of use.

More
11 years 8 months ago #427256 by Ruth
You can opt for the pro version of Windows, which supports the running of older programs - probably cheaper if you have a number of them.

More
11 years 8 months ago #427266 by wandering free
I would go with a 64 bit operating system if you have the option as it is backward compatible with 32 bit programs, 32 bit operating systems aren't compatible with 64 bit programs, as time goes on new programs are likely to be all 64 bit.

My operating system is still XP but friends with Windows 7 tell me it can be run in compatibility mode to other operating systems so most programs can still be run on it.

As for printers once my Canon inkjet ran out of guarantee I switched to Inkvenus cartridges at a fraction of the cost of Canon only thing is they haven't got the 300 year photo life that Canon claim, only a problem if photos are important to you.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
11 years 8 months ago #427271 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Buying a new computer
I have used these guys several time to purchase and deliver to Nelson and they seem OK. Great prices on branded inks as well. www.tastech.co.nz/ have look it may or may not suit you.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
11 years 8 months ago #427309 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Hi
Several years back i purchased a HP computer complete,It cost 30000 pesos ,It turned out to be the biggest piece of Sh-t i had ever purchased ,Within 2 years the only original part of the HP setup was the CPU casing ,everything else had been replaced .
For my daughters birthday i purchased a built up computer which was 1/3 of the price of the HP,Her computer runs faster ,and can do more things than mine ,we have had it for 6 months now and never had a problem with it ,With a build up they use all the latest available parts
.Operating systems ,I have used ubuntu for many years ,but it is now getting like windows ,after a lot of research ,i have changed to PCLinux .it is most probably one of the best systems available ,and very easy for people who switch from windows ,They use LibreOffice which has replaced open Office ,.With openOffice or LibreOfiice you can save your files in many different formats and the packages can read any format
The best part about using Ubuntu or PCLinux is that they are completley free ,whereas Windows will cost you big bucks
Printer we use a Brother ,which includes printing ,scanning ,copying .and have had it for over 2 years ,and no problems ,it is a colour printer as well.We got sick of replacing cartridges and had an ink system installed ,where you have 4 bottles in a rack and they just need to be topped up every so often ,That system has paid for its self already.
Cheers
Kevin

More
11 years 8 months ago #427313 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Buying a new computer
colour lasers cost a lot more to operate than a mono. Unless you do a lot of colour printing, stick with a mono.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds