Holiday?

More
11 years 11 months ago #426886 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Holiday?
It is a very wet time to be visiting Stewart Island...unless you go on the North west circuit area where parts are sandy so the mud generally only gets knee deep.
I had a good giggle at the expletives of several tourists in the Fred's Camp hut book, regarding a puddle on the track that was head height deep...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #426901 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Holiday?
If I had 2 weeks, and could choose the time of year, I'd either do Southland or Abel Tasman area at the other end of the island. It would depend also on what you wanted to do - just relax away from home worries, or get out and get the feel of a region - people, food, history, etc, or if you're into extreme sports (and let's face, sometimes you get into some pretty extreme situations on farm, don't you Ruth! So maybe not so much in the way of adrenalin?)

I've had a taste of both areas I mentioned above, and have always wanted to go back and spend more time.

More
11 years 11 months ago #426903 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Holiday?
Sadly we are restricted to the quietest time of our farming year -although I suspect our friends would happily oversee some busier times too... might have to negotiate that possibility after this first break.

My inclination is to go somewhere different from here, and stay there without the need for too much travelling around in what could be cold and wet, hazardous driving conditions! You're right, I'd quite like to keep the adrenaline levels low: that would be a holiday in itself!

I've never been to Queenstown and we have family there; never been to Hokitika but family there; relatives also in Nelson and it might be nice to go and see where some of them live.

I think I'll have a longer-term plan for the tiki-tour holiday I'd really like to take, travelling as we please around a whole region.

More
11 years 11 months ago #426991 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Holiday?
While you are in Nelson, if you feel like an ass ......
well, you know the answer :-).

More
11 years 11 months ago #427135 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Holiday?
If you've never been to Queenstown - then you won't regret going there - especially if you can stay for free with relatives. Perhaps get a cosy, secluded Book-a-Batch for a night or two as well. A day trip to Glenorchy is also a must - scenery beyond description. Good Grab-a-Seat deals on AirNZ sometimes - so you might want to start looking early for cheap fares.

Have fun!

More
11 years 11 months ago #427139 by Ruth
I'd like to add Thanks ticks to all your posts. I am appreciating them all and giving it all lots of thought. :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #427151 by lars arsbjorn
Replied by lars arsbjorn on topic Holiday?
Confusing time pending New Zealand so everywhere nice decision

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
11 years 11 months ago #427157 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Holiday?
if you go to hokitika or hamner then you are nearly smack bang in the middle of a few hours travel to nelson, queenstown (a bit further) and hamner or hokitika.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
11 years 11 months ago #427205 by Rata
Replied by Rata on topic Holiday?
Visit your relatives in Nelson and pop over to Golden Bay for a few days. So much there to see, and warmer than down here in the deep south...

More
11 years 11 months ago #428055 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Holiday?

billmckinstry;424764 wrote: One week ?? 7 days or 6 days ?
Drive or fly ?

sadly, it is sometimes cheaper to travel overseas.
Noumea, Cook Islands, Tonga, depending on specials.

Main thing is to enjoy yourselves :)

If you are looking at Noumea... think x3 for the price of everything you pay for in NZ! New Caledonia is expensive! French is the main language.

But... if you were to visit Noumea, there is one place you must visit... Amedee Lighthouse with MaryD cruises.
It is a fantastic day out with a fantastic lunch supplied, the most beautiful lighthouse to see, in a Marine Reserve, on the reef edge with a very beautiful lagoon surrounding the island. Complete with resident Sea Eagles, turtles and Tricot Raye. www.amedeeisland.com/

Been there 3 times already and would love the 4th opportunity if it arose!
The weather would still be perfect; dry and cool in late winter/ early spring.

Have fun planning you break!

More
11 years 8 months ago #436132 by Ruth
We went to Queenstown. It was cold; there was snow and one of us learnt to ski! We had a great time, have returned exhausted, but so glad we were able to go.

On the way down we talked about the two options: go somewhere warm for a break, or go somewhere hellishly cold and when you get back, it feels lovely and warm.

The biggest surprise was how dry it was down there. People there walk ON the ground. What a novelty.

Naturally, in only a week, there was far more we didn't do than we did, but we managed a trip on the lake, a walk in the Routeburn, a hike up a track in the Beech forest to somewhere/nowhere which was delightful. Stephan skiied on the Remarkables, got on television when he visited the guy in the snow cave, swam in Wakatipu (very briefly) and all the rocks we brought home contain gold. We had a ball.

We drove in the gate at home and the cows all started yelling. When I moved them, they all rushed around the paddock kicking up their heels. I have a funny feeling they are glad I'm home, because they were reportedly quite quiet about moving from paddock to paddock in my absence. The cats obviously still don't believe we're home to stay.

More
11 years 8 months ago #436137 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Holiday?
Glad you loved it!!!

To me, there is nowhere more beautiful than Queenstwon in the winter - and its a wildly fun place in the summer too for all the get wet thrill-seekers.

For summer beauty though - it's your neck of the woods for me!

More
11 years 8 months ago #436138 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Holiday?
Sounds luverly.
Heh heh...your comments about the dryness amused me. Imagine it in summer! :D
Although it isn't as dry as some places, Queenstown gets about 900mm of rain a year: Near Alex is the driest part of the country - the only bit that qualifies as desert - by getting less than 400mmm of rain a year...[:0]

More
11 years 8 months ago #436140 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Holiday?
Glad to hear you had such a great time in Queenstown. Some dryness underfoot would be wonderful right now!

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 8 months ago #436147 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Holiday?
Queenstown is our favourite place as well. We just looooove doing the market on Saturdays (when we have spare stock). We get to meet so many interesting people from all over the world.
As for it being dry, this is the driest winter I can ever remember. We have had very little rain, only one lot of snow (had 8 lots last year), next to no wind, and rather mild temperatures. Even the driveway is mud free this year :D

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds