Flight of the phoenix

More
10 years 1 month ago #31782 by Stikkibeek
OH set to work today to fell a phoenix palm which was successfully killing other nice specimen trees as it was too close to them.

Being an engineer, he calculated the height he would need to scarf and cut it to make it clear the fence. He braved the nasty spines and got the snig chain attached and cranked the tractor back to add weight to the theory, then cut.:rolleyes:

He seriously underestimated its weight. Unlike the movie, this phoenix didn't fly. It obeyed gravity instead, hitting the deck like a ton of lead bricks, squashing the fence and almost making the tractor nose dive into the turf. [}:)]
The tractor did not have enough grunt (more than 40 HP) to move the beast. All he did was dig holes with the wheels and make the FEL groan on its hydraulics! He ended up having to cut it up some more, roll it along on what was left of the head in order to get the snig onto a better place, and finally managed to drag it in pieces to the fire heap. All that is left of the truk, is a pile of fine white sawdust and some heavy blocks that will probably not make good fire wood as once the water dries out of them, they will be like balsa. :D

But the phoenix is gone! :p although I seriously doubt it will be burnt until next autumn!
I just supervised the carpet cleaner!:rolleyes:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425707 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Flight of the phoenix
It is now banned to sell Phoenix palms in auckland area, not becasue of the problems you had, but their tendency to self seed and go rampant
It is amazing how many people put them on trade me for $1, and then how many large ones have price tags in the 4 digits
I would imagine that it would be a good thing to get rid of, they are very dominant and obviously close enough to the house/deck to be imposing.
Just watch the spikes, they can be poisonous.
Does sound like you had a bit of fun tho

More
10 years 1 month ago #425722 by billmckinstry
Replied by billmckinstry on topic Flight of the phoenix
Pictures ? Sounds like two good days (2nd day is fence fixing :D )
Chevy Chase could use this script for a good movie :)

More
10 years 1 month ago #425747 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Flight of the phoenix
i think they are lovely as mature palms. however my father did spike himself near the elbow whilst removing low branches from a young one and got blood poisoning. mum took him to hospital in the middle of that night and they said he would have died if she had waited till morning... and he is one of those robust types that does not often get ill.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425770 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Flight of the phoenix

billmckinstry;423585 wrote: Pictures ? Sounds like two good days (2nd day is fence fixing :D )
Chevy Chase could use this script for a good movie :)

Alas, no pictures. Didn't have the camera with me, but a nice neighbour came and helped OH fix the fence so that's all good. Don't know about Chevy Chase. I think Michael Crawford (aka Frank Spencer) could use this script! :D

I'm amazed at the light that is now coming into the plantation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425965 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic Flight of the phoenix
Hubby is an arbourist - he refuses to deal with phoenix palms without sufficient engine power to help, so good on your OH for successfully getting rid!

A whisper in my ear says many people get themselves in trouble by seriously underestimating the weight of trees.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
10 years 1 month ago #425967 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Flight of the phoenix

tonic;423614 wrote: i think they are lovely as mature palms. however my father did spike himself near the elbow whilst removing low branches from a young one and got blood poisoning. mum took him to hospital in the middle of that night and they said he would have died if she had waited till morning... and he is one of those robust types that does not often get ill.

Check out www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=137712

I have the same hatred for bamboo as I got spiked as a child and they eventually - some time after injury, when I was having problems - found a spike gouging its way around inside my leg. I still remember them reopening the original entry wound and digging round to remove it - yuck... :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 1 month ago #425987 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Flight of the phoenix
There's one left in the plantation, also as big, but it is not so easily removed.

More
10 years 1 month ago #426199 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Flight of the phoenix
Oh, Stickkibeek, what a pity you didnt have the camera around... video captures action like that best...
glad everyone is safe.

More
10 years 1 month ago #426200 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Flight of the phoenix
They are magificent looking trees in the right place, but far too many people plant them too close to a house and then let do not pull them out before they get too big to be able to be pulled out.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds