Capacity of Homewood Heritage solid fuel cooker?

More
10 years 1 month ago #31769 by Qatargranny
Can anyone tell me if a Homewood Heritage solid fuel cooker would, cook the food, keep 2 adults in hot water (when it was lit of course) AND heat an 84 square metre, open plan, well insulated new house, in the Wairarapa, without any additional heating. We will of course also pay much attention to gaining passive heat.
Thanks for helping out here - as is often said - this community of people is amazing!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425621 by wandering free
I see thy rate them at 10 to 12 Kw, if this is right it would do all you want, we have a 14 Kw log fire in an older house that we have had insulated and double glazed, we now have to let heat out and I don't think you have the frosts we do.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
10 years 1 month ago #425633 by GrantK
Here is a link to a thread I started a couple of years ago regarding Homewood stoves:

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/showthread.php?t=23783

Have a read through regarding the design. These stoves are very expensive for what they are, but if you like their unique style I guess that's what you will have to pay. My wife wasn't keen at all about the lack of proper door handles.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425650 by Qatargranny
Thank you for your help. Yes Homewood Heritage is expensive. Grant, I had read the thread you started. Good information thank you. Did you end up getting a Homewood, or did you go for an alternative and how happy have you been with whatever you went with?

More
10 years 1 month ago #425663 by GrantK

Qatargranny;423503 wrote: Thank you for your help. Yes Homewood Heritage is expensive. Grant, I had read the thread you started. Good information thank you. Did you end up getting a Homewood, or did you go for an alternative and how happy have you been with whatever you went with?

In the end, we decided not to build our dream house because the cost would have gone through the roof. Had we done so however, the Wagener Fairburn would likely have been our choice. It seemed to have everything we were looking for -- including proper door handles -- and was about $5000 cheaper.

More
10 years 1 month ago #426039 by lisaeve
We have ordered our Homewood (heritage) for our house we will be building leading up to next summer. We really wanted a NZ made range, and a cast iron one. We also wanted glass doors.
the handles didn't really worry us.
We will be building a roughly 140spm home, with plenty of solar gain and thermal mass. The homewood will provide hot water which is also for underfloor heating. We'll have gas hobs as a backup. It'll be our only heating for the house, but will also have a solar hot water system.
The price to get mains power to our house site was huge and we didn't really want it anyway. For less money, we'll be buying the stove, PV panels, batteries, and solar hot water system.
We have friends with a wood range (also off grid) and they do use it over summer; it's right by the back door so if it's warm, they just open doors and get some air through. It's warm right by the stove, but not noticeably in the rest of the house.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
10 years 1 month ago #426040 by lisaeve
Meant to say - the Fairburn is steel, the Homewood is iron. That was a big factor for us. also the Fairburn only has one oven. the Homewood has two, at different temps - so one can be hot and then other moderate, or one can be moderate and the other to keep stuff warm.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds