Anyone on here a plumber....

More
10 years 1 month ago #31716 by DiDi
I promise - this will not take up much of your time! I just want to know with a Feltonmix system (ie before Ventura), which way do you put the rotor into a town water system (trying to improve on a low/low system rotor) to get better pressure in a high pressure cold/ low pressure hot water system?

The unequal rotor has a small hole and a large hole so which is set on the cold and which on the hot? Easily achievable once that is covered so here comes the next question - do I have to play with the hot/cold thingies to get it right once I have worked the former question out?

Put it this way, I changed the rotor to high pressure cold (which it is) / low pressure hot and it is worse than it was. Have I put it in back to front for the holes? :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425015 by Stikkibeek
Have you tried turning it around to see if that makes a difference?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 1 month ago #425022 by theotherphoenix
My (non-plumber) assumption would be the smaller hole would be the cold water, since that's normally got a higher flow rate which you want to restrict or it will overpower your hot water.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425024 by theotherphoenix
Oh, and yes, you do have to play with the "thingies", if by thingies you mean those little flat-screw heads that adjust the flow from the plumbing fittings in the wall?

Keep turning the hot one back and forth until you get the absolute maximum flow possible, then adjust the cold so that having your tap half way round is a good shower temp. Hopefully it's similar to the one I just did in my bathroom a couple of months ago.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425025 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Anyone on here a plumber....
No I haven't tried it the other way around yet ... and I now know it makes sense to try it! I will I promise as what theotherphoenix said would suggest that I have it back to front. Why the hell can't a manufacture say this - ok - you are meant to have a plumber to do this at X$ but hell - it can't be rocket science surely? It is easy enough to dismantle and put back together.

Any more "knowledgeable" answers welcome too.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425026 by DiDi
Replied before you posted Other (your new nickname) so thanks for that. Will give it a go.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425029 by theotherphoenix
Hehe, if you want to shorten it, I get Phoenix or just ToP, usually. :D I know it's kinda long.

Good luck with the adventures in plumbing. I'm sure you'll be fine once you flip it round.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425137 by LongRidge
no idea DiDi, sorry. But I really love our shower unit maker Topliss which has it's factory in Nelson. Whenever we have a problem, we phone them and they know which of their staff knows the exact answer. Then it's really simple to do what they say, or go in and buy the exactly right bit that has worn out.
The basin taps, on the other hand, are all sealed so we can't put washers into them, and they are no longer being supplied so we will have to buy entirely new plumbing when we want to fix the leaking taps :-(

More
10 years 1 month ago #425235 by billmckinstry

DiDi;422817 wrote: No I haven't tried it the other way around yet ... and I now know it makes sense to try it! I will I promise as what theotherphoenix said would suggest that I have it back to front. Why the hell can't a manufacture say this - ok - you are meant to have a plumber to do this at X$ but hell - it can't be rocket science surely? It is easy enough to dismantle and put back together.

Any more "knowledgeable" answers welcome too.

If you are willing to try it yourself, don't worry about what rules you may be breaking. It is your house and you get the gain/loss of doing it yourself.

Plumbing is not the same as electricity and the tradesman get a fair share of work (emergency) from failed DIY jobs so they don't mind at all.

The main issue is to check for any leaks before closing up the job.

Good luck :)

More
10 years 1 month ago #425254 by DiDi
NO problem Bill. I have farmed for 30 years and you learn a few tricks over the years. I put the previous rotor back in today as it was producing better pressure that the new one. The joke is that the cylinder is 39 years old and I am not prepared to blow that up; the landlady is not prepared to spend a dollar on the property so easy as - I will just move to another rental or find a property to buy. Sad part is that I really enjoy this house (bar 50 year old carpet!) but if the woman would just spend some money, she will avoid massive problems into the future. Going to love me when I point out a leak in the ceiling! Why do so many urban people not understand the damage that lichen can do to a metal roof? Why would you treat your rental maintenance as anything less then you would your own home? Is there a tax write off? If not this makes no sense.

PS - NO Leaks!

More
10 years 1 month ago #425264 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Anyone on here a plumber....
OK Didi, from a plumber [;)] ......... small hole over cold and yes, you do play with the flow adjusters.
Turn the hot on to full to start with, bring in the cold with the mixer set in the middle to get the optimum setting. Make sense?

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 1 month ago #425269 by DiDi
Yep it does Spook and did that today. The lack of cold input just throttled the hot back to the point of pathetic water pressure - worse than using low/low rotor...

Tried it - it did not work and so be it. I suspect there has been some other form of throttling in the system as the hot water in some taps (eg kitchen) is fine. The cold water strong. This just seems to affect the shower and laundry. Don't get it and would pay a plumber if I owned the property to get it sorted but just not prepared to do that for this landlord.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425289 by billmckinstry

DiDi;423063 wrote: Why would you treat your rental maintenance as anything less then you would your own home? Is there a tax write off? If not this makes no sense.

We allways dio rental property maintenance ahead of our own needs and dreams. I guess just like a good farmer wants house milking shed working well and the cattle fences in better condition then maybe some decorative fence closer to the house (unless he is out voted)
All maintenace is tax deductable in rental properties.
Changing a tenant is a cost that should be avoided if possible especially if you lose a caring tenant for an uncaring one.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425290 by billmckinstry
New Zealand houses typically had a different hot water feed for the shower then other taps.
This was because we used low pressure hot water cylinders and liked to use a shower mixer.
The shower hot water was taken from the water cylinder side of the Pressure Limiting Valve.
This was supposed to mean you had equal hot and Cold water pressure to the shower.
Maybe early mixers didn't have the adjustments modern ones do?

Some mixers only suit certain water pressure ranges.

Australians typically have two taps for their showers rather then a mixer like we Kiwis prefer. Then the showeree just needs to keep adjusting the taps while they shower as others turn on different taps through the house :D

More
10 years 1 month ago #425294 by greenfingers

DiDi;423063 wrote: Why would you treat your rental maintenance as anything less then you would your own home? Is there a tax write off? If not this makes no sense.

No, no tax write offs, but IRD are very picky about what constitutes maintenance and what is an improvement.

For instance, my late fathers 60 yr old wooden weatherboard house became a rental property after his death, as it took a number of years to sort his estate out. It was managed by the lawyers and issues raised by rental managers were not rectified. By the time the property was passed to me, it had a lot of issues that needed sorting as a direct result of tenants swinging on guttering and pulling it away from house - rain water running directly off the roof and down the sides of house rotted 90% of exterior weatherboard cladding, entire front deck, and windows. Water also made its way inside via the windows extensively rotting out carpet, patches of floorboards and curtains in all rooms.

All the guttering and downpipes needed replacing due to amount of damage caused - IRD said this was an improvement not maintenance so therefore not tax deductable.
Carpet & curtain replacement = improvement not maintenance so therefore not tax deductable.
Cladding replacement and painting = improvement not maintenance so therefore not tax deductable, even though we replaced like for like.

Replacement of the floorboard is the only part considered maintenance because not all needs to be replaced.

So you hope you can imagine that without tax incentives, what the cost is involved for all this work, and therefore why some landlords just don't get the work done - it would have been easier to sell the house for whatever we could get (not very much given the state of it!). Some landlords though, are just plain lazy and a pain in the butt!

We even got an IRD person to come out and view the damage before work started, although they appreciated the proplems caused, they can't do much to bend the rules about what constitutes improvement or maintenance. Getting money out of said tenants is about as easy as getting blood out of a stone - lawyers and insurance argue that because of the age of the house, its fair wear and tear, even though we have photos of it prior to being rented showing it in pristine condition.

So Didi, in your case, if the carpet is o.k (not threadbare or holey/rotten), then as a landlord, I probably would hesitate to replace too, unless your landlord would consider replacing the carpet room by room, tax year by tax year...which I imagine would be a huge inconvenience to tenants!
Lichen on roof however, I would be getting cleaned off and guttering cleaned out and checked it was draining properly!

We're lucky that my OH and I have been able to much of the prep work ourselves or costs would be much higher.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds