Kayaking helicopter rides in NZ?

• Andrea
10 years 1 month ago #31673 by Andrea
Kayaking helicopter rides in NZ? was created by Andrea
My sis is visiting NZ for the first time later this year. One of the things she wants to do is go sea kayaking. What's the best area? She is thinking of tying it in with a visit to Milford Sound, but since we've never been, I can't recommend anything to her.

Same with the heli trips. Where's best?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #424503 by Shropshire Blue
Hoping to take my daughter when she visits in Sept sea kayaking in Abel Tasman.

More
10 years 1 month ago #424504 by Organix

Shropshire Blue;422246 wrote: Hoping to take my daughter when she visits in Sept sea kayaking in Abel Tasman.

+1
Well represented with operators, brilliant mostly sheltered sea conditions and excellent scenery :D

There's a good local helicopter operator that does scenic flights over Taranaki including Mt. Egmont if you find yourself in the Naki.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 1 month ago #424509 by wiltshire
have been sea kayaking in the abel tasman and found it great

More
10 years 1 month ago #424519 by Nora
I went on a helicoptor trip with my mum over one of the glaciers and landed in the snow. It was amazing.

More
10 years 1 month ago #424524 by muri
my son is just off on a months road trip filming various aspects from cape to bluff.
when he gets to the helicopter ride part, i will let you know what he thinks is best as he says they are having a few rides at various vantage points.
oh to be young, free wheeling and sponsored to explore NZ!!!

More
10 years 1 month ago #424540 by Kiwi303
Abel Tasman is pretty nice.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
10 years 1 month ago #424547 by Andrea1
Well, thanks! I'm thinking I need a road trip myself, so will probably take myself off with her when she comes. I haven't seen her in 10 years!

More
10 years 1 month ago #424555 by Aria
Both Milford and Doubtful Sounds are lovely - we did the sea kayaking on Doubtful Sound (as part of an overnight cruise package). If you haven't been there then the fiords a must see.

Had a neice and nephew visit last year and they asked me to prepare their itinerary and make all the bookings. I couldn't bring myself to choose between Milford and Doubtful Sounds - so I scheduled their trip such that they drove Q'town to Milford Sound (and just took picutres from the shore there) - then stayed the night in Manapouri and boarded a Doubtful cruise the next day.

I once helicoptered from Wellington City to the Marlborough Sounds - aaaaamazingly beautiful.

10 years since you've seen her - how exciting! Best wishes for a lovely visit!!!

More
10 years 1 month ago #424589 by GrantK
+1 for Milford Sound.

I walked the Milford Track just prior to Christmas and saw the sea kayakers out on the sound. It looked idyllic the day we were there with perfect weather, but I have to say that is a rarity in Milford Sound! Both other times I've been there it was hosing down, but the waterfalls were awesome!

I've also heard lots of good things about Sea Kayaking in the Abel Tasman area.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
10 years 1 month ago #424619 by Seaside
You can also go kayaking at Akaroa to see the Hector's dolphins. We did that on our honeymoon eight years ago. It's good because it combines kayaking with dolphin watching.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
10 years 1 month ago #426948 by wandering free
Cable bay near Nelson is a great spot, we like it for Kayaking as there are less speed boats tearing around always a problem with Kaiteriteri in the summer, Marahau (Sandy Bay) isn't bad and if the tides out they take you to the waters edge in wagons towed by tractors,

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
10 years 1 month ago #427108 by Andrea1
THanks for that! I'm hoping she chooses the Nelson area, as I want an excuse to spend more time up there myself.

More
10 years 1 month ago #427220 by griev
Able Tasman for the kayak and Franz Joseph glacier for the helicopter flights

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds