They're Back!

More
12 years 1 week ago #31651 by Stikkibeek
They're Back! was created by Stikkibeek
Those pesky computer virus scammers are back it seems. I've taken two calls in two days from a male and a female, (foreign sounding) who claim my computer has multi viruses.
Tonight the woman asked me to go an sit in front of my computer and she'd show me. I told her, that to do that, I would have to put on my coat, get in the car and turn out on a wet night to go to work which was half an hour away to be able to sit in front of my computer, and that if I did that, could she please tell me how she thought she could still hear me on the phone. She called me a liar and told me that of course we had a computer at home....everybody did! I noticed that she used my OH's initial, rather than his name, so I gather she is trawling through phone books for numbers. Anyway, I managed to get a word in edgeways after a big long spiel :D from her on the evils of computer virus's to tell her that if she was certain that she knew we had a computer, then, she was the one telling lies, not me! The phone went silent and she hung up.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #424307 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic They're Back!
yup they are. Had one a couple of nights ago, and I didn't let him get a word in: Just told him I didn't have time for that BS and hung up. And guess what, he didn't call back! :D [;)][}:)] :p

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
12 years 1 week ago #424310 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic They're Back!
ooohhh.. the fun begins again... bring it on!!!!!

More
12 years 1 week ago #424313 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic They're Back!
I love to keep them chatting on the phone - the longest I've managed to keep them going is about 47 minutes - it's considered a sport in our family - they go onto speaker phone and off we go

Best strategy is to keep asking questions, leading them off on tangents...

giggles - I was a contact centre Manager for many years, and know how to talk... and talk... and talk...

More
12 years 1 week ago #424328 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic They're Back!
oh goody. Cant wait i love having them on.

More
12 years 1 week ago #424338 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic They're Back!
I've had these 'you've won a vacation in NZ' ones this week, Indian sounding, I think about 3 this week. The one tonight got a whistle very loudly blown down the phone.
The other day I had one saying they were from a NZ survey company but they were based in Phillipines, she was very polite and very nice and wanted me to confirm two things:
that my address was.......... so I said no I wasn't going to confirm that, and so I have no idea what the second question was going to be, but whatever it was (even if it was a NZ company with an outsourced call centre) it was non of their business.

Also this week had Mercury Energy ringing around in my area because they were dropping their prices and wanted to know who I had my power with, so told him that it was private and non of his business and put the phone down. Afterwards I thought it would have been really funny to tell them that I had my power through a totally ficticious company such as: Manawatu Windfarms, Palmy Energy, Go Power etc and say I was very happy with the service and didn't want to change.

I get fed up with cold calls and if I don't know the person on the other end of the phone and they start asking questions even if they are local, I don't give out any info.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 1 week ago #424351 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic They're Back!

shad297;422054 wrote: ......Afterwards I thought it would have been really funny to tell them that I had my power through a totally ficticious company such as: Manawatu Windfarms, Palmy Energy, Go Power etc and say I was very happy with the service and didn't want to change........

Tell them you make your own power. That has them stumped :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 1 week ago #424357 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic They're Back!
I've had four of these in the last two weeks.

The lady who does some housekeeping for me told the first two that Mr Sour was too bitter to talk to anybody - and they hung up. The third was taken my my daughter who told the woman that Mr Sour was off feeding pigs to sell to Asians [:0]

I have to admit I have neither the time nor inclination to string them along. They just piss me off. She asked to speak to K.L. S........ I told her he wasn't available, what was it do do with. Usual spiel - My name is Whatever, I am ring from Microsoft because you have a problem with your computer. That rings bells immediately because the computer is registered to me not Kevin and we have different surnames but in the phone book our number is under Kevin's name so these plonkers are just going through the book. So I tell her in words of one syllable - and very slowly because English is her third language - that-we-do-not-own-a-computer. Then wait for it - click, click as she hangs up.

There is a teensey, very teensey, part of me that almost, but not quite, feels sorry for people who have to stoop so low to make money and be made fools of in the doing so.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 1 week ago #424363 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic They're Back!
Has anyone told them they are Amish and the only electrical appliance in the house is the telephone which the police insist on you having for emergency service calls?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 1 week ago #424370 by billmckinstry
Replied by billmckinstry on topic They're Back!
While our phone is in my name, the telephone book entry is in another name - You can do this.
They ring for the book entry who is 83 and a bit dementia and try and sell him all sort of things. He enjoys the social contact but has no access to credit/debit card.

Had on person who tried to send him a business investment.
He kept givinh im the old street name from 15 years ago. The guy would call back and be told, no, nothing rec'd yet. Reconfirm the address and so on.

Finally a package ended up in the mail box and it was selling horse race betting. Turn $1,000 intp $50,000 in 12 months. Disposed of in recycle bin and the calls stopped.

He still gets calls to save dolphins from the Rina :D

An expensive hospital type bed salesman was directed to him following calls from Australia. Sad waste of petrol.

More
12 years 1 week ago #424785 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic They're Back!
Dammit! Last night at 10.30 ( was almost asleep) some jerk called Daniel (another foreigner) rang. I gave him an earful and pointed out that he should get his International time zones right. We are also getting up to 2 messages on the answer phone, that sound a bit like a fax squealing. I have a theory that it's them, but no way to discover as the phone number is turned off so it doesn't show on my digital read-out. Might have to change my outgoing message to one that says "This message will be recorded and passed on to law inforcement officers. :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 1 week ago #424857 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic They're Back!
They rang me the other day. I said "Yes I've been expecting your call" and then "Windows??? I don't have Windows!!!! " She hung up ...:rolleyes:

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 1 week ago #424870 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic They're Back!

Xartep;422634 wrote: They rang me the other day. I said "Yes I've been expecting your call" and then "Windows??? I don't have Windows!!!! " She hung up ...:rolleyes:

You get all the fun!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 1 week ago #424935 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic They're Back!
i got a call the other evening about a virus too. i ticks me off but then i end up feeling sad that some people are willing to make a living by scamming (and therefore hurting) other people.

More
12 years 1 week ago #425027 by theotherphoenix
Replied by theotherphoenix on topic They're Back!
Tip for the busy and impatient (like me). Call centers like that are almost always on an auto-dialler which takes a couple of seconds to put you through to the next available operater when you answer your phone.

So I pick up, say "hello", count to two and if no one has replied by then, I hang up. Don't ever repeat the "hello?" because they'll be online by then. I've only had to speak to local charity callers and people I actually know since I started doing that. I have yet to have any friends mention that I hang up on them all the time. :D

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds