Good examples of blogs needed

More
11 years 7 months ago #31557 by reggit
...ones that include photos, sidebars etc, not just blocks of text. Any links would be appreciated to ones you have found/enjoy...

:)

Researching for a work project for 2013...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #423549 by lydiar
There are quite a few to choose from!
Are you thinking professional businesses/personal/organisations or public information ?

I've recently spent quite a bit of time researching for my own website so might be able to share some good ones.. wordpress themes are a good place to start.

More
11 years 7 months ago #423550 by reggit
It's a fun blog, like a travel one, but based around one environmental theme, and with sidebar profiles of folk who are involved. Its for the general public, not just boffins.

Also need to be able to link easily to other sites but assume that you can do that in any text any time anyway! [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 7 months ago #423559 by lydiar
If you are keen to play about with the layout yourself you can look into Wordpress themes and create your own design if you already know how you want it to look.
Basically you can create a free site ( en.wordpress.com/signup/ ) then search and try out with the available themes until you decide what suits. Most themes can be configured to whatever layout you want e.g. sidebars, photos, mutliple menus and widgets.

The problem with looking at other people's blogs is that they may have had software developer help to achieve their design so unless you have access to a developer some of the features might be difficult to achieve

To decide on my layout I googled for translators (french/english translators) and collected up ideas of content and designs that I liked and tried to incorporate into my site (which I played about with via lydiaer.wordpress.com - which ended up being a place I have shared pictures for friends!). The end result was lerichards.co.nz (a fairly basic but informative site about me and my business) - my blog is empty at the moment:)

Sites I have bookmarked with designs that might be interesting:

ourweefarm.blogspot.co.nz/ - this is a LSB member but I'm not sure who - at some point I clicked on a link and then bookmarked it:) Whoever you are it's a very nice blog! I believe blogspot is similar if not the same as wordpress so you might look into using that for your blog.
sustainablog.org/
www.greenurbanliving.co.nz

These are not really the same subject matter but shows how felixble a wordpress type blog can be:
www.greyhoundsnz.blogspot.co.nz/
homemadegorgeous.blogspot.co.nz/
melangerbaking.com/
justjussi.blogspot.co.nz/

Hope this helps, Lydia

More
11 years 7 months ago #423561 by Kiwi303
Do remember some sites such as wordpress and blogspot are banned and cblocked in some countries. I cannot read anything on those sites here in China.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 7 months ago #423570 by reggit
Thanks Lydiar...yes, my own web guru will be sorting out the layout, attached to existing website, just after ideas for this at the moment...

More
11 years 7 months ago #423616 by lydiar

Kiwi303;421149 wrote: Do remember some sites such as wordpress and blogspot are banned and cblocked in some countries. I cannot read anything on those sites here in China.

Interesting point - out of interest can you access my site at lerichards.co.nz? This is a wordpress site, but hosted by me. Just wondering how sophisticated the blocking is.

I would asume anyone in a country with limited access could use proxy services though.
Lydia

More
11 years 7 months ago #423637 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Good examples of blogs needed
My favourite travel one is www.blithetraveler.typepad.com/

Travel and comments and lots of photos. She's been doing it for a long time.

More
11 years 7 months ago #423662 by Kiwi303

lydiar;421213 wrote: Interesting point - out of interest can you access my site at lerichards.co.nz? This is a wordpress site, but hosted by me. Just wondering how sophisticated the blocking is.

I would asume anyone in a country with limited access could use proxy services though.
Lydia

Yep, both the .co.nz and the .co.uk that it also links through to.

It is the xxxx.wordpress or the xxxx.blogspot URLs that are blocked, self hosted sites are not xxxx.wordpress or xxx.blogspot

I use Astrill proxy service for facebook, but I can't be bothered switching it on for blogs and my university intranet that I connect to as a gateway to the internet is purposely set up in a way that screws with proxies. Government funded Uni, government regulations, stuff set so that it promotes the government line.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 7 months ago #423802 by 3 girls farming
have a look at this one.. a lot of environmental bits, lots of other stuff as well.. yardyyardyyardy.blogspot.co.nz/

More
11 years 7 months ago #423836 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Good examples of blogs needed
Tigger, if your guru is doing it, you can do anything you like! Sidebars, cool menus, anything.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds