National Alpaca Day

More
10 years 1 month ago #31556 by helen55
National Alpaca Day was created by helen55
It's National Alpaca Day on Sunday 6 May 2012. Farms and studs across the country will be open to the public so that people can come along and meet some alpacas and learn more about these wonderful animals.

The Alpaca Association Website has details of the farms that are participating in the day: www.alpaca.org.nz/events/national-alpaca-day

We visited a local alpaca farm on the open day last year. It was the first time we had been up close to an alpaca. We fell in love with them and realised they would be the perfect animal to have on our 7 acre property. Twelve months later, we own 9 alpaca and are enjoying their company and having fun being creative with their fabulous fibre. :)

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #423603 by The dream
Replied by The dream on topic National Alpaca Day
Great article and photos in the Herald Helen. Your "babies" are gorgeous!

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
10 years 1 month ago #423626 by helen55
Replied by helen55 on topic National Alpaca Day

The dream;421198 wrote: Great article and photos in the Herald Helen. Your "babies" are gorgeous!

There were a couple of errors in the article - Dave is my partner (not Steve), we moved here in March 2011 and I haven't sold any scarves or fibre. But it was a nice "feel good" story and Daniel was really taken with how friendly/inquisitive the alpacas were.

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
10 years 1 month ago #423719 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic National Alpaca Day
My neighbours on Mystery Creek Rd will be doing the open day this Sunday if anyone in this part of the Waikato is interested.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 1 month ago #423806 by helen55
Replied by helen55 on topic National Alpaca Day
Here's a link to the article in the local paper - with my partner's name corrected www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/communitie...eir-own-national-day

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds