My DIY house build - all the lovely people

More
14 years 4 months ago #3154 by Pumpkingirl
As you all know, my Dad, my uncles, my cousin, brother and a whole heap of other relatives have helped to me build my house, and lots of other people donated their old fridges, freezers, towels, curtains, books and heaps of other good stuff, which was just wonderful.

One of the people who came and helped us build the house was my Dad's good friend Peter, a school friend who he only sees a couple of times a year, but is one of those "forever friends". He and his wife Vicki (who've known me my whole life) also turned up with an old dryer, a ceiling fan plus spare linen, and brought us home-made goodies every time they came to check in.

Anyway, yesterday and today have been a bit trying (see my other posts on the dead goat, the dead computer etc). When I got to my parent's house tonight, there was an envelope waiting for me.

It was a card and a letter from Peter and Vicki. It had a gorgeous picture on it of a wee house like mine tied up in a big red bow with a gorgeous dog out front (in a matching bow). In the letter, Vicki explained how she and Peter flatted with my Grandparents while they built their house. 30 years ago to the day, they moved in and they got an envelope from my Grandparents. In it was a message of how proud they were, how they really admired them and attached was a cheque because they knew they would be struggling money-wise. This was a secret gift (not even my parent's knew) and the note said it was because they were lovely people who deserved something good.

Well, blow me down, out of my letter fell a cheque for $500, with Vicki and Peter's love and best wishes... I cried my heart out.

I told myself today to count my blessings, it turns out I had way more than I thought.

Nice huh:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #81842 by kate
Wow - what an amazing thing for them to do [8D][8D]

However, I think it's worth bearing in mind that if so many people want to help you then you must be a very special person to them. So pat yourself on the back too for being a wonderful person who people love to help [8D]:D[8D]

So - what are you going to get?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 4 months ago #81848 by spoook
How so ..... "Pay it Forward", to give not looking for reward.:D:D
I agree with Kate, they must be good judges of character. [:X]
Treat yourself kindly.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 4 months ago #81856 by reggit
Sounds like pennies from heaven considering the hard drive meltdown :D.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 4 months ago #81857 by Dream Weaver
Awwwwwwwww how heartwarming is that. I reckon they know how special you really are and oh what an awesome thing to do. More memories to keep in your heart to treasure for a lifetime. And remember when one of those down days come and all seems to be going wrong, retrieve the memory and be gaurented it will lift your heart and put a smile back on your face.

More
14 years 4 months ago #81865 by AdoubleJ
Awww that is sooo nice - it brought tears to my eyes! [:I] Mind you lots of things bring tears to my eyes - I come from a very soppy family... :D [:I]
You deserve it......

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
14 years 4 months ago #81871 by Birman Babe
Wow, what a lovely couple they must be and it couldnt have come at a better time for you. Spend it wisely!

More
14 years 4 months ago #81937 by max2
That is a great tradition to keep going I reckon....

More
14 years 4 months ago #81969 by The Kats Place
thats so nice - lovely to hear a positive story like that.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 4 months ago #82005 by Pumpkingirl
It is nice, isn't it! I agree, a lovely tradition:D Fortunately for Peter and Vicki's would-be grandchildren, I might even have some money to spare by the time they need it:D:D

I'm still quite blown away...

More
14 years 4 months ago #82014 by gemini kiwi
How lovely, that will go a LONG way I'll bet. You should plant a special speciman tree somewhere on your property (safe from the goats:D ) to remind you of this welcome gift..............or what about some kind of tree that bears fruit so you can continue to give from that gift.
GK

More
14 years 4 months ago #82033 by Pumpkingirl

quote:Originally posted by gemini kiwi

How lovely, that will go a LONG way I'll bet. You should plant a special speciman tree somewhere on your property (safe from the goats:D ) to remind you of this welcome gift..............or what about some kind of tree that bears fruit so you can continue to give from that gift.
GK

That is a fab idea actually GK:D... here I was thinking of all the bills I could pay with it, but I could buy a fruit tree or two in their honour, and have some money left over to pay my debts!

More
14 years 4 months ago #82038 by eelcat
a fruit tree or two sounds a great idea

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 4 months ago #82063 by kalnetta
Hey PG is the building article in the Press about DIY house building your house.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
14 years 4 months ago #82067 by Dream Weaver
A tree is a wonderful idea. PG bugger the debts, this money should bring you happiness so spend it on special things you wouldn't have been able to go and buy.

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds