What to do in Martinborough?

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #31519 by kiwi_jon
The Wife and I are going to be in Martinborough this coming weekend and are planning what to do whilst there.

I know the re-scheduled Martinborough Fair in on this weekend and will have a look at that and we plan to go down to Cape Palliser.

Any other suggestions.

What is the temperature like at this time of the year? The Wife needs to plan her wardrobe :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #423198 by jeannielea
Wineries and wine tasting is a pretty standard activity plus olive grove and tasting. Nice shops and food. The fair is not usually held in May so there will be less stalls (tho over 300 I think) but it will take a while to go all round and the place will be very busy - get there early. If you like walking, call in to see The Pinnacles en route to Cape Palliser, or drive down to Lake ferry for fish and chips at the hotel there. Go to the Information Centre in Kitchener street or other info - opening times etc. Your OH will need comfy shoes for both the fair and the Cape but who knows about the weather! M'boro has a wonderful micro climate so can be very warm but it is autumn and this weekend has been wet so like anywhere at this time of year, just pack for everything!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #423207 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic What to do in Martinborough?
You could drop by and say hullo to some locals :D

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #423522 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic What to do in Martinborough?
The Martinborough fair is a full days effort under normal circumstances.

Stonehenge is only 20mins up the road - you could pop in and see me afterwards [;)]

Lake Ferry & other coastal beaches
The Pinacles
Glow worms at Ruakokatapuna (sp?)
Vineyards & Cafes

Its very cold here at the moment - if there is a southerly blowing Martinborough can be bitter. Bring a good warm jumper and a decent all weather jacket, hat, scarf and gloves. And decent walking shoes. I always dress in several layers, that way if I get warm I can take something off.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #424029 by kiwi_jon
Thanks all for the advice. We had a great time in your neck of the woods.

We arrived in Martinborough on Fri night, settled into our cottage and headed in to Wendy Campbell's French Bistro for dinner. That was the best meal I have had in a long time. It was stunning and set the tone for the weekend.

Sat morning we walked into town for breakfast at the Village Cafe then spent an hour or so walking around the fair. We walked past one stall and I said to OH "it looks like someone is selling copies Owen Bartlett's pottery" , turned over a piece and it said Owen Bartlett on the bottom then looked at the seller and realized it was Owen Bartlett so we bought a few more pieces to go with the set we had bought when we visited his studio in Upper Moutere the last time we were in Nelson.

Bought some cheeses and a sourdough loaf and headed back to the cottage to get the car and we headed to Masterton and out to Castlepoint. I now know why I never want to sail down the East Coast. It is a nasty piece of coastline with rocks far out to sea and no boltholes if the weather gets nasty.

We climbed up to the lighthouse and had a look around, chatted to a couple of cray fishermen as they did maintenance on their boats then headed back to Tinui, turned off and headed to Riversdale. From Riversdale we headed off down Homewood Rd, through the forest and came out at Te Wharau, headed to Gladstone and back to Martinborough, stopping a few vineyards for a tasting session and dozen wine to be couriered home.

Dinner last night was sitting in front of the fire with a bottle of local Martinborough wine, cheese, bread and soup.

This morning we packed up the car and headed to Cape Palliser. We climbed up to lighthouse, slowly, as we realised how unfit we were. I gave up counting steps. On the way back we stopped and talked to a couple of seals that were sunbathing on the grass at the side of the road and headed to Lake Ferry for lunch at the hotel. The fish and chips were a bit disappointing. The fish, John Dory, was delicious but the batter was soggy not crisp.

We headed around the western side of Lake Wairarapa to Featherston and back over the hill to Wellington where we ditched the rental car at the airport and here we are, back in Jaffa land and the reality of work setting in.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #424034 by shad297
kiwi jon - sounds like you had a brill time. We took my elderly dad (from UK) to Martinborough 3 years ago, also visiting some of the places you did. I told him there was no way he was to walk up the steps to the lighthouse at Cape Palliser as he has arthritic knees and feet and finds steep inclines very tough. Anyway he was adamant he wanted to so with my husband acting as 'helper should he need it' he went up and down very slowly counting all the steps (he's an accountant and loves numbers) and felt very proud of himself.
We also had a disappointing meal at the hotel too but apart from that the scenery and weather were fantastic.
Of course we are not as far away as you so could do it all again......one day.
I think we are very lucky living in New Zealand.
(Ex Brit/Jaffa)

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #424109 by jeannielea
Sorry about the meal at lake Ferry after recommending it. Its about a year since we were there and its always had a very good reputation for F&C so something has obviously changed. Glad all the rest was good though.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #424134 by cappina
Hmm, must have been an off night at the Lake Ferry Hotel - we had dinner there a couple of weeks ago and it was terrific!
Not fish & chips though... :rolleyes:

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #424158 by kiwi_jon
The F & C were still edible, filled a hole in the stomach and replenished the calories expended climbing up to the Cape Palliser lighthouse plus a few extra. [;)]

It certainly didn't spoil what was a wonderful weekend.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds