I'm going to Hawai'i! And someone else is paying!

More
10 years 2 months ago #31329 by reggit
Got a grant from the US for a three week study trip to Hawai'i, leaving July, awesome!

Combining fun with research (read: weeds/invasive species) - so who has been there? What are best bits to see? Tips?

:D :D :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #421168 by DiDi
Oh that is so fair (because you deserve it) but so unfair because I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. Drat!

I do have an article stored I believe about an old friend who has restaurants on what was the forgotten part of Hawaii (where ever he is) in Chinatown as he started restaurants when no one else would have gone there. Fantastic apparently. PM me and I will follow up if you are interested.

More
10 years 2 months ago #421230 by Sue
We've been to Oahu, the island you first get to, and where Pearl Harbour is. But it was back in 1987 and we had 2 teenagers in tow!

I remember it as expensive for food, and I bravely snorkeled at Hanuama Bay-it felt just like a Jacques Cousteau TV programme underwater.

I also remember pineapples were US$4 at the farm that grew them and I reckoned we could buy them cheaper at home!
Not much help Tigger, but lucky you, and go and have a wonderful time!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 2 months ago #421237 by Aria
We did Honolulu staying at Waikiki for three days last year. It had been about 10 years since I was last there ... amazed at the growth of the place. It's all quite beautiful with the volcanic peaks framing everything - but sad to think how it might have looked before becoming so built out. Must try are the prawn carts (near the prawn farms) on Oahu - yum and such good prices. Turtle Bay is also very special. Didn't find the snorkelling any good on Oahu but am sure it's better on the other islands.

Have fun!!!

PS - On reflection - they might call them shrimp carts - but they were nice juicy big critters!

More
10 years 2 months ago #421291 by Gracelands
How wondeful, and just what you will need. I've never been, but I imagine Hawaii in July will be a wonderful break from NZ's coldest month.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
10 years 2 months ago #421361 by eelcat
Fantastic. We were there a few years ago and loved it

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 2 months ago #421381 by GrantK
I would recommend leaving behind the concrete jungle of Honolulu where they have built hotels right on the sand of Waikiki beach, and heading to the "Big Island" which is a lot more unspoilt. There is a wide range of flora to see, from the arid Kailua-Kona side, across to the rain forest Hilo side, and then there is the volcano coast where live streams of lava tumble into the sea. All uniquely fascinating environments and some were quite different to anywhere else I have been. July is an excellent time to go, and you may even be there for the 4th of July fireworks with any luck!

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds