Insect bites - need advice

More
10 years 4 months ago #419061 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Insect bites - need advice
Chickweed is good for allergic rashes too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #419066 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Insect bites - need advice
I find tea tree lotion very helpful - like the time I got bitten by sea lice in Fiji. [:0] The effect of the tea tree lotion was almost instant. Also Anti-Histan cream is good, and oral antihistamine tablets.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
10 years 4 months ago #419473 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Insect bites - need advice
Only just read this. Natural would be great obviously but going the Chemist way, the best ever creme I have ever bought is called Anthisan and I would not be without it in the cupboard. I have used it on bee stings and mosquito bites with instant and ongoing relief. Hope you are feeling better.

More
10 years 4 months ago #419477 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Insect bites - need advice
Best stuff EVER is Neotopic-H Lotion but it is by veterinary prescription only :( :D
I would be putting dimp or some other sort of insect repellant before going out next time - even Penny Royal rubbed onto your arms will deter the beggers.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 4 months ago #419490 by blimeyvicki
Like Didi said Anthisan is good - it's a topical antihistamine. I recently got bitten by something very similar sounding in our chook house. All up my arms , torso, hips and legs. Sooooo itchy and huge red welts! I put on our "magic cream", also known as pawpaw cream (in the red tube or tub). MAGIC. Worked amazing and the next time it got me I put it on immediately and they disappeared a lot quicker! We use this cream for everything - chapped lips, insect bites, cuts and abrasions, burns etc.

More
10 years 4 months ago #419528 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Insect bites - need advice
Hiya - well I'm delighted (not to mention 'relieved') to say that the bites are now pretty much itch-free. Thanks again for all the hints - I did get some Anthisan and some antihistamine pills and still have plenty left for next time. Have been avoiding working on that part of the garden, but need to get back in there today, so I have: pennyroyal, chickweed, Anthisan, Antihistamine tabs, plantain, tea tree oil and aloe vera plants on hand. I also have some of those long plastic vet-type gloves that go way up the arms. Think that'll do it?????? :-) Borax is on the shopping list.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 4 months ago #419546 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Insect bites - need advice

Mich;416649 wrote: Hiya - well I'm delighted (not to mention 'relieved') to say that the bites are now pretty much itch-free. Thanks again for all the hints - I did get some Anthisan and some antihistamine pills and still have plenty left for next time. Have been avoiding working on that part of the garden, but need to get back in there today, so I have: pennyroyal, chickweed, Anthisan, Antihistamine tabs, plantain, tea tree oil and aloe vera plants on hand. I also have some of those long plastic vet-type gloves that go way up the arms. Think that'll do it?????? :-) Borax is on the shopping list.

Cheers, Mich.

Best be on the safe side [;)]

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/416669=10241-nuclear gardeners.jpg[/img]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 4 months ago #419559 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Insect bites - need advice
Oh I just loved that, Organix - cheeky beggar!!! :-) Thanks for a good laugh.

The little blighters are still there, and I confess I chickened out of working there this afternoon. I do still have my old beekeeper's overalls, I'm sure I can find some goggles somewhere... LOL. Very vexing!!!
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 4 months ago #419567 by bevhawkins
Vinigar, it takes away the itch straightaway:)

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds