Insect bites - need advice

More
10 years 3 months ago #31134 by Mich
Hiya - after having put a good layer of compost and matured chicken poo in one of the vege gardens the weekend before last, it rained last week and was perfect to start planting out on Sunday. Unfortunately my clothing ended up covered in loads of what looked like wee black flea-type insects and I now have over 100 bites on each of my arms up to the elbows. The itchiness is driving me completely insane. :( [:(!]

Does anyone have a tried and true remedy for relieving the itches in lightening-quick time? Would a hydrocortizone cream (sp?) help?

Also, as I have more plants to put in, is there anything I can use to prevent being bitten again while these little beggars are in the soil? Would commercial insect repellant sprayed over my clothes work? How long are they likely to stay in the soil? At this point I just want to chop off my arms!

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418998 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Insect bites - need advice
I would take an oral antihistamine for that many bites. Telfast or the generic one work well for me. Razene is another that doesn't make you drowsy. you will need to take them for several days.

A few plantain leaves crunched up in the palm of your hand and rubbed on the spots once the juice starts running will help, it take a few minutes to work.

I would sprinkle pestene or borax or diatomateous earth around the compost as it sounds like you have a fleas nest.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 3 months ago #418999 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Insect bites - need advice
Blackmores Vitamin E cream works for us :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 3 months ago #419006 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Insect bites - need advice
Gosh, so many choices, you are spoilt.
Like organix, something simple that works, and aloe vera is a great product, grow it in your garden and it wont cost you anything to buy and is always on hand.
Great for burns or healing wounds as well

More
10 years 3 months ago #419014 by stephclark
agree with above.. plaintain is a quickie assist... would rubbing vaseline or babyoil on your arms deter the little suckers?..

More
10 years 3 months ago #419021 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Insect bites - need advice
Plaintain is a quickie, but it doesn't last long, at least for me. Too really ease the 'pain' of the itch, try Weleda nappy cream. Sounds weird, but really works. For fleas, Avon Skin So Soft keeps them away.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419026 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Insect bites - need advice
Thanks so much guys - I tried the plantain early this morning but, like Andrea, it didn't have any long-term effect on me. Decided to bite the bullet and hit the chemist on the way to work. Came away with some cream and also some of the oral antihistamine tablets (and a lot poorer...) but between the two, I'm not climbing up the walls any more.

Really appreciate the other suggestions and have filed them away in my brain to try. Specially useful is the suggestion Xartep made about the borax etc for any nests - pretty sure that's what's happened here. My digging out the compost and spreading it around must have woken the blighters up, so after a week they'd be raring to find a host. And there I was... :-(

You guys rock!
Cheers, Mich.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419033 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Insect bites - need advice
I saw what time you posted Mich and thought you really must have been suffering to be up at that time!

Borax is really cheap from Binn Inn type place if you've got one near you.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419036 by Mich
Hi Shad - yes, I'm pretty sure there's one in Lower Hutt somewhere - such a helpful hint about using it to get rid of the compost fleas...

The fact that I was up so early had more to do with the fact that, being a middle-aged old tart, I tend to go to sleep in front of TV these days, specially if the fire's going and I'm snuggly warm - and even quicker if I've had a nice dinner, LOL. But when I woke up about 2.30am, it took about 5 minutes before I was scratching away. Feeling heaps better now though. The meds sure take the edge off.
Cheers, Mich.

More
10 years 2 months ago #419041 by stephclark
:D :D :D .. ahh Mich.. glad to hear i am not the only one falling asleep about 7pm and wondering the house at 3am wide awake..( trying to straighten the criks in the neck!! )
yes warm house, comfy sofa, big dinner and glass of wine.. thats me out for the count..
my poor cats are the ones who realy suffer.. they are trying to sleep and i am yaking away to them cause no one else is awake[;)]

More
10 years 2 months ago #419043 by Mich
Hi Steph - yes with DH being a shift worker, he's normally in bed EARLY, but always too early for me. We are definitely kindred spirits - but the worst part is that I feel like c**p having to then go to work when all I want to do is go back to sleep in a proper bed at 7.30am, LOL. Bring on retirement (well, I say that advisedly...) when i can do just that :-).
Cheers, Mich.

More
10 years 2 months ago #419044 by jeannielea
Herb Farm now do a spray with aloe vera. You can order from their website. But any cream or greasy substance will stop the itching as they block air off from the bite site. My favourite is Tea tree cream or salve as it helps the swelling go quicker too. In fact its a pretty good all round healant

More
10 years 2 months ago #419049 by Mich
Hi jeannielea - interesting comment about cream blocking off air from bite sites. I understand there's some serious research going on about the use of Tea Tree oil in the treatment of flystrike. Good stuff, but gee it stinks... :-)
Cheers, Mich.

More
10 years 2 months ago #419050 by jeannielea
Agree but some of the newer creams are not so bad. I got a nice one last year at the Martinborough Fair made by Escentials. Maybe from the Waikato. It still smells but is a light cream so you don't notice as much.

More
10 years 2 months ago #419054 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Insect bites - need advice
I have found that the sooner you get the plantain on the better it works. If the bite has been there for a while the plantain only give temporary relief. If it is applied immediately it can completely neutralize the reaction.

Lavender oil or Rosemary oil may also help.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds