A New Kind of Child Discipline???

More
10 years 3 months ago #31070 by lady yank
Just had to share this with you. I was at the grocery store and a mother with a young child was trying unsuccessfully to get the kid to stop running around. The mother was in the meat department and picked up a large package of meat and held it out towards the child.
"You don't behave, you have to touch this cow tongue!!!!" The little girl screamed "No, mama, no!" And promptly stopped running and followed her mommy quietly around the store.

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418261 by muri
love that story,
thats really good positive reinforcement
far better than any whack or thump.
and if you were meat eaters you could threaten the kid with brussel sprouts for dinner, bound to quieten them down too

More
10 years 3 months ago #418264 by igor
Wouldn't work for me. Our children like both cow tongue and brussels sprouts. Weird huh?

More
10 years 3 months ago #418274 by witheze
Lady Yank I watched Dr Phil yesterday....well it was wet outside [:I].....and there was the video of the 16yr old getting thrashed by her father ...the Judge. Is he still a Judge? He wouldn't be, here, in good old NZ. For those who didn't see..........she set up the camera as she regularly got punished in this way. The belt was doubled over and she was whacked 17 times with the Mother joining in for one whack, both parents screeching profanities. What did she do? She illegally downloaded music from a Japanese site.
Just wondered if it was big over there before Dr Phil got hold of it?

More
10 years 3 months ago #418277 by RhodeRed
Haha fantastic parenting skills!

I found grounding works best with my daughter.
"Ok, if you don't stop doing "X" then you don't get to do .

Only had to enforce it once, not had problems since.

witheze;415219 wrote: Lady Yank I watched Dr Phil yesterday....well it was wet outside [:I].....and there was the video of the 16yr old getting thrashed by her father ...the Judge. Is he still a Judge? He wouldn't be, here, in good old NZ.

Yeah that was a big deal in the US a while ago, highlighted the hypocracy amongst their judiciary.

Witheze; don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon that NZ is squeaky clean and our judiciary don't have their skeletons in the closet.

NZ is incredibly nepitistic in terms of Judiciary.

We have a large number of cousin/brothers/sisters serving as judges including a husband and wife 'team'.

I have heard of one NZ instance where a ruling was appealed and the judge that had made the initial ruling that was being appealed simply put on a different hat for a different court and sat as judge hearing the challenge against his OWN original ruling.
"Yeah sorry guys, my first ruling was crap, I was having a bad hair day and you are all completely right - my original ruling was way out of line." :D :D :D :D :D - not gonna happen with these guys.

There have been times where judges have overseen cases where the defendant has been a friend or amicable ex-employer (conflict of interest) and refused to recuse themselves and have anotherjudge put in their stead.
There was also the case of one judge ruling on a case involving her own sister :rolleyes: ... squeaky clean? ... as the billboard says "yeah, right."

More
10 years 3 months ago #418281 by lady yank
Witheze, everything gets bigger after Dr. Phil airs it. The judge, who regularly heard child abuse cases, could not be prosecuted because there is a 5-year statute of limitations. I don't know if he is still on the bench.

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!

More
10 years 3 months ago #418284 by Organix
Or there is this 'solution' [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 3 months ago #418287 by RhodeRed

Organix;415231 wrote: Or there is this 'solution' [;)]

I heard this is remarkably effective! :D :D :D

More
10 years 3 months ago #418295 by The Kats Place
I have to confess I have stopped the car and put the offending child out on the side of the road and driven off, fortunately for him it wasn't too far from home.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 3 months ago #418299 by Huggiechook
The principle is essentially always the same - find something that will induce unhappiness - threaten it first and if necessary enforce it. It is usually easy to tell if unhappiness has been achieved and if it hasn't then think of somehting else next time. In the old days physical pain was the method of choice - but that is just being unimaginative!

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
10 years 3 months ago #418404 by Xartep

The Kats Place;415243 wrote: I have to confess I have stopped the car and put the offending child out on the side of the road and driven off, fortunately for him it wasn't too far from home.

I find that stopping the car and telling DD to get out is very effective. Devil Daughter turns into Darling Daughter in nanoseconds[}:)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 3 months ago #418429 by Organix

Xartep;415373 wrote: I find that stopping the car and telling DD to get out is very effective. Devil Daughter turns into Darling Daughter in nanoseconds[}:)]

My parents stopped the car once and threatened to make me walk home.... so out I got and the car drove off. The reaction of hysteria and tears from my siblings saw them stop again a little way up the road to wait for me.

Don't know if that episode had the desired effect [B)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 3 months ago #418434 by Xartep

Organix;415400 wrote: My parents stopped the car once and threatened to make me walk home.... so out I got and the car drove off. The reaction of hysteria and tears from my siblings saw them stop again a little way up the road to wait for me.

Don't know if that episode had the desired effect [B)]

One of our old neighbors was occasionally seen driving home very slowly with the hazard lights on and her 2 boys walking in front of the car. At least you don't have to listen to them then.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 3 months ago #418449 by kindajojo
you can always tell your children when misbehaving at school that you will come to the school.

Wearing a dressing gown, rollers and smoking a cigarette and sit in the back of the class all day............the beauty of positive parenting is that the kids are not quite sure that you would actually do it or not..................personally I think it would be a laugh.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418451 by Stu_R
:) Jo but your daughter is a really nice young lady and was probably an angel as a child :) .. so at least you didnt have to go to school :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds