Dog hair and Vacuum Cleaners??

More
10 years 3 months ago #31036 by UsBlacksheep1
There are so many vacuum cleaners out there claiming to vacuum dog/pet hair..Need some good opinions about the best one out there ...We have a long haired Border Collie and our vacuum cleaner just has'nt got the suck to pick up the hair anymore..There must be heaps of you out there with dogs inside with the same problem?? Curious to find out what 1.the best buy/value for money 2. worked more than a year and is till going strong?
Our commercial vacuum cleaner worked ok for a year then lost its power-out of warranty of course!:(

back on lifestyle block..so excited!..
Still have a full on Jack Russell,a Bischon X, Lilly cat,our new cat Fudge ,max the horse cat,plus 14 Barnevelders....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #417913 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Dog hair and Vacuum Cleaners??
I would go to consumer, they are always testing vacuum cleaners, altho not necessarily in homes with border collies
You may need a commercial cleaner.

More
10 years 3 months ago #417936 by Andrea1
We have a Bissell PowerForce Bagless. It's a grunty thing, great suction, and sucks up all cat and dog hair (4 house cats, 3 house dogs), even out of the wool carpet and off the sofa. You have 4 cats in a tussle and that mashes a LOT of hair in the wool carpet, and this machine is the only one we've had that manages to get it ALL out.

More
10 years 3 months ago #417937 by UsBlacksheep1
Good Morning Andrea....what shop sells this model? Ive never heard of it :)

Andrea;414842 wrote: We have a Bissell PowerForce Bagless. It's a grunty thing, great suction, and sucks up all cat and dog hair (4 house cats, 3 house dogs), even out of the wool carpet and off the sofa. You have 4 cats in a tussle and that mashes a LOT of hair in the wool carpet, and this machine is the only one we've had that manages to get it ALL out.

Still have a full on Jack Russell,a Bischon X, Lilly cat,our new cat Fudge ,max the horse cat,plus 14 Barnevelders....

More
10 years 3 months ago #417938 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Dog hair and Vacuum Cleaners??
We've got a Tibetan Spaniel - long strands of fine blonde hair, as well as large chunks if her hair mats - sheds everywhere. We've got a Dyson. It's our second one - first lasted around 7-8 years; this ones at least 5 years old now. Wouldn't even consider another brand as we know these do the job. Have a cut pile carpet (dark brown/purple colour) and an area rug (black and grey shades) - so we "see" every bit of hair on them! It's a delight to vacuum!

Every so often we have to cut the hair away from the rotating brush head, but that's easy - so can't say we've ever had a great deal of trouble with them. Highly recommended.

More
10 years 3 months ago #417939 by Stikkibeek
We were having ongoing problems not only with cat hair, but the blasted carpet we inherited has shed fluff all its life. We have a fairly grunty Zip wet and dry, made by Kerrick. (about 14 years old now) It is a household model. It wasn't taking care of the fluff problem so went and looked at a variety of so called high performance (read high priced) vacuum cleaners such as Dyson and others. We were put off getting a Dyson, not only due to the high price ($900+) but also due to the change in the plastic body in them now which is brittle and will crack if you hit the edge of a door frame when towing it behind you. Expensive to fix. In the end we settled for a $60 turbo brush and we have no more problems with hair or carpet fluff. In fact it's so efficient, I now find I have to empty it each time I use it. Oh, and the carpet doesn't appear to be any balder for the cleaning!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 3 months ago #417951 by Andrea1
I got the Bissell off TM, but since the parts are still available in NZ (we go through a fair few drive belts, as DS sucks up things he really shouldn't!), I'm assuming some version or other is still around?

Found this:
www.bissell.com/product_search.aspx?sear...search&mode=products

More
10 years 3 months ago #417957 by UsBlacksheep1
Hi Stikkibeek...did you add the turbo brush onto your Zip cleaner? Can you pop them onto any cleaner or do you have to buy one for that model?

Stikkibeek;414845 wrote: We were having ongoing problems not only with cat hair, but the blasted carpet we inherited has shed fluff all its life. We have a fairly grunty Zip wet and dry, made by Kerrick. (about 14 years old now) It is a household model. It wasn't taking care of the fluff problem so went and looked at a variety of so called high performance (read high priced) vacuum cleaners such as Dyson and others. We were put off getting a Dyson, not only due to the high price ($900+) but also due to the change in the plastic body in them now which is brittle and will crack if you hit the edge of a door frame when towing it behind you. Expensive to fix. In the end we settled for a $60 turbo brush and we have no more problems with hair or carpet fluff. In fact it's so efficient, I now find I have to empty it each time I use it. Oh, and the carpet doesn't appear to be any balder for the cleaning!

More
10 years 3 months ago #417958 by UsBlacksheep1
have had commercial cleaner and it too has died..well its lost its suck..useless!

muri;414816 wrote: I would go to consumer, they are always testing vacuum cleaners, altho not necessarily in homes with border collies
You may need a commercial cleaner.

More
10 years 3 months ago #417959 by UsBlacksheep1
Sounds good as well...any particular model Dyson?

Aria;414844 wrote: We've got a Tibetan Spaniel - long strands of fine blonde hair, as well as large chunks if her hair mats - sheds everywhere. We've got a Dyson. It's our second one - first lasted around 7-8 years; this ones at least 5 years old now. Wouldn't even consider another brand as we know these do the job. Have a cut pile carpet (dark brown/purple colour) and an area rug (black and grey shades) - so we "see" every bit of hair on them! It's a delight to vacuum!

Every so often we have to cut the hair away from the rotating brush head, but that's easy - so can't say we've ever had a great deal of trouble with them. Highly recommended.

More
10 years 3 months ago #417961 by BillyTheTractor
we've got three very large dogs 2 of which shed absolutely everywhere. And 2 cats. Also we live in a very small house! I can't get past a dyson. We had one in the Uk for about 10 years ( we still have it here in the rental cottage) when we put it down there we got a Miele animal one - it drove me mental :( it was v expensive and really didnt do the job. So we got another dyson :D much better. We've never had a problem with plastic cracking off it and I am really not careful, bashing it off everything. Also they come apart very easily so I've never had to put it in to get repaired. I've managed to unblock it myself on the very rare occasion the suction goes cos I've sucked up a branch or something!

Wee Farm

More
10 years 3 months ago #417964 by Stikkibeek

UsBlacksheep1;414866 wrote: Hi Stikkibeek...did you add the turbo brush onto your Zip cleaner? Can you pop them onto any cleaner or do you have to buy one for that model?

Yes the turbo brush is on the Zip. We did have to get the standard fitting changed to a bigger one since the zip has a larger pipe than most cleaners, but that wasn't very much extra. The fitting that is supplied, is for standard pipes, which would be the majority of cleaners.

Must say our Zip really did a great job when MIL flooded her house a few weeks back. We were able to lift most of the water out of the carpet, (and it was almost thigh wader deep :D ) so the carpet got a "wash" as well.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 3 months ago #418009 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Dog hair and Vacuum Cleaners??
Sounds good as well...any particular model Dyson?

Wouldn't know what model we have now - or what one we had before. But the key to the effectiveness I believe is the motorised head. You can turn that off as well - which we do when using it on the wooden floor.

Never had a problem with the plastic cracking, but our present one is 5-odd years old now... so don't know whether there might have been a design change.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418018 by judes
We have the silver dyson with the motorised electric head. absolutely brilliant!

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418020 by TanyaM
With two Golden Retrievers I am also a huge Dyson fan. We have had ours for six years and it still goes like new and it is easy to pull apart when it does get blocked. They are expensive but a great investment.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds