Does anyone remember - wool craft when kids...

More
12 years 4 months ago #31006 by reggit
...used to be a few nails around the top of a wooden cotton spool, and you hooked the wool around/over them so that through the hole in the middle of the spool came this cylindrical knitted 'rope'.

I had a flasher version that was purpose made, wood, painted like a queen with the points of the crown being the bits you wove around/over...

Anyone remember this? What was the craft called, and anyone know if you can still get the 'queen' or similar to do this - as all the spools are now plastic and way too thin :)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #417647 by Denneaux
Tube knitting, at least that was what I used to call it. Mine was a plastic thing called the magic knitter or something like that.

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
12 years 4 months ago #417648 by Denneaux
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spool_knitting

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
12 years 4 months ago #417649 by reggit
... ... ... ....

Googled on 'tube knitting' and found these, apparently they are called Knitting Nancys :)

Will keep tracking them down...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 4 months ago #417650 by sarniagirl
we used to call it french knitting.
My children still do it.You can get little kits from spotlight,but i found some wooden cotton reels in an op shop and made the old type.

More
12 years 4 months ago #417653 by reggit
Good stuff, at least I now know what to ask for!

About to rifle through my gran's old sewing box in the hope that there are a couple of old spools there, promised a friends daughters I would show them how to do this knitting - as long as I can remember myself!

More
12 years 4 months ago #417658 by kate
Given that I don't sew at all, my sewing box is a treasure trove of ancient sewing aids and does contain a couple of old wooden spools (almost full [:I]) if you need them...

We called it french knitting too :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 4 months ago #417662 by Trace
Another one who called it french knitting. Thinking about that, reminded me of finger knitting too - used to spend ages doing that lol.

More
12 years 4 months ago #417666 by Organix
French knitting, and we used spiral the resulting 'rope' and sew it in place to make a placemat :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 4 months ago #417674 by 3 girls farming
definately french knitting as calling something a Knitting Nancy would not be cool... signed Nancy!!!!

P.S. actually ... I am a knitting Nancy tonight.. just on real needles...

More
12 years 4 months ago #417686 by Stikkibeek
Yep! We called it French knitting too. Used to make everything from doilies to tea cosys from the knitted "rope"

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 4 months ago #417693 by Xartep
French knitting dolls - got one for Pisa's DD for her birthday :D :D Big hit.[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 4 months ago #417696 by shad297
Yep I knew as French knitting too. Bought one for my daughter maybe 4 years ago, worked fine. Not sure where it came from though although as mentioned above Spotlight would be a good place to try.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 4 months ago #417722 by ronnie
Yep, definately French Knitting. I have a wood working friend who makes them and sells them on his craft stall. If you have trouble sourcing them up there, you know how to find me [;)]

More
12 years 4 months ago #417750 by Xartep
I was thinking that a local wood turner might make you something special and more robust.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds