Is New Zealand like this?

More
10 years 4 months ago #30928 by igor
www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/6522766/...lias-cultural-cringe

I fear that our own population are becoming a bit the same.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #416581 by stephclark
emmm.. having just had to deal with aussie customs and freight agents, i think this is something accross all ages..the ones i have had to deal with ( and treading carefully so as not to offend ).. are THICK..
only had one person 'on to it' and she was a kiwi..[:(!]

More
10 years 4 months ago #416586 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Is New Zealand like this?
'fraid so! :(

Selling at the local Farmers Market, I am asked a lot of questions by prospective customers - some of them quite frankly astounding in their ignorance. :confused:
I, in turn, amaze a lot of people with statements like;
- eggs are a seasonal product
- you only need flour, salt and water to make bread
- not all plants grow in the same soil
- and, not to forget; Blueberries do not grow year-round...

it's not that they are 'thick' - a lot of people are so far removed from the origins of what they put into their mouths, they have no clue what the single ingredients actually look like, or where they come from. Or if they need to be in there, for that matter[:(!]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 4 months ago #416601 by xevbellringer
The "brain drain" from NZ to OZ - raised the IQ of both countries...

More
10 years 4 months ago #416606 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Is New Zealand like this?
My daughter, year 11 science class - the teacher was talking about cheese last week (yea!) - DD piped up about all kinds of cheese, and went on and on and then realised everyone in the class was staring at her. Then she got to the bit about mould growth flavouring cheeses, and the class gave a collective 'ewwwwwwwwww'. Teacher beaming at her, she saying 'my mum makes cheese...' Most people probably have never even tasted proper cheese in their lives, present company excepted, of course! :D :D

More
10 years 4 months ago #416607 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Is New Zealand like this?
I don't think I have ever tried home made cheese, like cheese made in someones kitchen [:I]

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 4 months ago #416608 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Is New Zealand like this?
Come over for dinner one night! Tonight's quiche thing has home-made cheese - we all do it :D :D :D

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 4 months ago #416609 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Is New Zealand like this?

Blueberry;413368 wrote: 'fraid so! :(

Selling at the local Farmers Market, I am asked a lot of questions by prospective customers - some of them quite frankly astounding in their ignorance. :confused:
I, in turn, amaze a lot of people with statements like;
- eggs are a seasonal product
- you only need flour, salt and water to make bread
- not all plants grow in the same soil
- and, not to forget; Blueberries do not grow year-round...

it's not that they are 'thick' - a lot of people are so far removed from the origins of what they put into their mouths, they have no clue what the single ingredients actually look like, or where they come from. Or if they need to be in there, for that matter[:(!]

I'm glad you find this at the Farmers market - we just thought it was the visiting Wellingtonians who had no idea about what grew when, how and where. "Do you make mango chutney?" is probably our most common question at the FM.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 4 months ago #416612 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Is New Zealand like this?

eelcat;413390 wrote: Come over for dinner one night! Tonight's quiche thing has home-made cheese - we all do it :D :D :D

Yum, give me half an hour :)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 4 months ago #416613 by mikethebike
("In year 10, only 13 per cent identified yoghurt as a plant product") since when has milk been a plant? unless you count strawberry yogurt maybe??

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
10 years 4 months ago #416629 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Is New Zealand like this?

mikethebike;413395 wrote: ("In year 10, only 13 per cent identified yoghurt as a plant product") since when has milk been a plant? unless you count strawberry yogurt maybe??

That "only" relates to the previous statement about year 6 students. So in Year 6 x% identified yoghurt as a plant product, but in year 10 only 13 percent did so.

More
10 years 3 months ago #416659 by blimeyvicki
I saw that article and immediately asked my Year 6, 10 year old daughter if she knew where cotton and yoghurt came from. Thank goodness she did but that is probably due to the fact that we live rurally so she is a bit closer to the food source.
Also we are a family of readers and though she now chooses and reads her own books I specifically remember when they were small having a read aloud book about big farm machinery and there was a cotton picking machine in there. They loved that book.

More
10 years 3 months ago #416660 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Is New Zealand like this?
Just remembered Richard Scarry's childrens books "Busy Busy World" and "What Do People Do All Day". One of these describes the processing of cotton from picking to clothes.

More
10 years 3 months ago #416670 by RhodeRed
Replied by RhodeRed on topic Is New Zealand like this?
Deliberate dumbing down of our children.

Theres a very good book about this by a lady called Charlotte Iserbyte (pronounced Iser-bee).

She was involved in educational politics for many many years in the states and thought (like the rest of us) that the school system failing our children was the result of bad decision making within educational politics until she had a major epipheny and realised there was an ongoing agenda to dumb down children via state schools and to "train" them as a subservient idiot workforce as opposed to "teaching them to think" and educating them.

This ladys book "The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America" has alot of parallels with NZ and AU schools.
Heard an interview with her a while back where she outlined her discovery that the US gov' had been buying up her books and destroying them. That prompted her to release it online in PDF format for "free" around a 7mb download if anyone was interested.
If you can find an original edition version of her book nowdays they usually go for $80 - $140USD, so the free download is pretty cool.

I was reading something else recently to do with curriculum for teaching mathematics in primary schools and it was such cotton-wool clad rubber-suit nonsense I was flabberghasted, unfortunately I don't have the link - will repost it if I remember the resource.
Basically it went along the tune of "mathematics is not black and white and there are no set solutions, results are correct on the basis of group consensus and may not always be consistant ... blah blah blah."

Basically in entireity it was groupthink politics, if the group say 2+2=5 then 5 is the answer. Bare in mind this was a primary teaching guide resource - we aren't talking university level quantum mechanic "rarified-air" mathematics or anything complex. :rolleyes:

More
10 years 3 months ago #416671 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Is New Zealand like this?

igor;413448 wrote: Just remembered Richard Scarry's childrens books "Busy Busy World" and "What Do People Do All Day". One of these describes the processing of cotton from picking to clothes.

Yes, I asked my kids aged 11 and 14 about yoghurt and cotton. When I asked 11 yr old where yoghurt comes from she said "cows milk", she didn't know about cotton but 14 year old son did from same Richard Scarry book - yay!
I always loved his books and we did spend a lot of time reading from them.
Mind you my kids are crap at geography and knowing where countries are in the world (not sure how useful this is?) so we keep a map of the world stuck on bathroom wall which comes in really useful for us adults too as I am forever trying to remember where in the world somewhere is especially when they change the name of countries.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds