Coffee septic tank

More
10 years 3 months ago #30855 by kaumea
Coffee septic tank was created by kaumea
can anyone explain to me why coffee grind should not end up in the septic tank????
I was told that it is bad for the bacteria in it, but why?:confused:
For me, coffee is a natural product and hasn't been treated only roasted..

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #415612 by RKH
Replied by RKH on topic Coffee septic tank
The guy that looks after our septic tank always tells me off for putting coffee grinds down the sink, the strange thing about this is that I don't! He tells me they block it up, hasn't mentioned anything about bad bacteria. I don't put them down the sink they go in the compost so I'm not sure how they end up in the tank, maybe visitors?

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

More
10 years 3 months ago #415616 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Coffee septic tank
Hm. Maybe because coffee is quite acidic? That could mess things up a bit...

More
10 years 3 months ago #415621 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Coffee septic tank
I suspect coffee grounds are not great for septic systems because
  • they are solid and fibrous (not a quick rotting soft food)
  • they are concentrated (not a balanced diet for the bugs)
  • Some people might use a lot of them
Most septic systems work best with the least amount of solids in them. So do pipe systems! :)

It also takes quite a bit of water to flush coffee grounds all the way to the tank, and they can gradually build up in your pipes and block them.
I have heard that they make a good mulch for some plants, and deter some pests, so that might be a better way to deal with them.

More
10 years 3 months ago #415622 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Coffee septic tank
Why would you waste coffee grounds down the sink when they would be much better utilised in the compost or applied directly to the soil?

More
10 years 3 months ago #415640 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Coffee septic tank
[:0] no no i would not put coffee stuff into the drain!!!

it goes into the compost or arround trees and flowers (geraniums, rhododendron love it) and veggie garden :) deters cats and snails as well :D they don't seem to like coffee :D
I was just curious why they always said that and now it's clear for me eg acidic and not rotting quickly :)
thanks

More
10 years 3 months ago #415656 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Coffee septic tank
Coffee grounds also make great fodder for your wormery. Organic preferably of course [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 3 months ago #415658 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Coffee septic tank
I'm not disagreeing with those who suggest a better alternative for coffee grounds (I biffed mine onto the nearest garden to the back door with anything not biffed being sent down the sink drain) and I guess when you say septic, you should also say what type of septic you have. Why? I had a very old shipper tank and drain lines and in 22 years on the property, I had it emptied three times with the last empty conversation being "this is healthy as - you didn't need to empty it". So - everyone needs to realise that there are Companies, eco groups etc that are going to really push an outcome to make money or are uninformed about the reality of septic drainage and think they know better.

Don't lose sleep over it if you have an old system as believe me, they cope extremely well with whatever you throw down them. Bear in mind, I am totally opposed to the advertising today that to keep your child's highchair free of germs, you have to spray it with some laboratory created rubbish. What the hell is wrong with germs - you build up immunity to them! You let your children crawl around in the dirt and eat worms. It won't kill them or make them sick! It will build up immunity to bugs!

Having said all that, I never hesitated to use whatever cleaning product was required for the job at hand but rarely used pure bleach. My attitude (and a very clean house!) was that a few bugs and germs are good for you. Hope that helps as you can relax!

More
10 years 3 months ago #415674 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Coffee septic tank
Do coffee grounds float? If so, they will float out of the overflow and block up the drainage field.

More
10 years 3 months ago #415676 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Coffee septic tank

LongRidge;412383 wrote: Do coffee grounds float? ...

No

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 3 months ago #415714 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Coffee septic tank
I save my coffee grinds to feed to the worms.
Grinds go into an ice cream container and periodically into the worm farm.
The grinds which are moist - unlike with an expresso machine where they would be dry - are like a thick solid glug which I cant pour into the farm as they are too solid. I need to scrape the solids out with a spoon from the bottom of the container
And they very much settle at the bottom.
I could imagine what our pipes might look like if the coffee grounds were going down the sink.
I wouldnt be putting them down the sink at all, septic or not

More
10 years 3 months ago #415723 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Coffee septic tank
Roses like coffee grounds also.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 3 months ago #415730 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Coffee septic tank
you can use it as fertilizer (phosphorus, calium and nitrogen) diluted for watering the garden :)

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds