Generator / Invertor recommendations ASAP PLEASE!!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #30774 by sterling
Hi there,

Our generator / invertor has just packed up and I am looking for a replacement ASAP The Inverotr is OK but the generator has died.

We currently have a HF 6000 Honda (petrol) but I am looking to replace it with a diesel version.

Any recommendations / hints / tips / unit's to avoid etc are welcomed!

many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #414769 by Hawkspur
This is very hard to answer without a bit more information about your generator usage.

Is this a backup generator, or main source of power (are you on or off grid?)

Is portability an issue?

Will it be sitting for long periods between uses, or does it get regular usage?

What sort of loads do you need to run from it?

What is the inverter you have?

More
10 years 4 months ago #414841 by sterling
Hi there,

Yes we are off the grid.

It is back up for our solar system.

It dosen't have to be portable.

We use it to boost the batteries when they are flat, and when we have to use the washing machine, it is used about once a week.

The inverter is a sincro.

Many thanks!

More
10 years 4 months ago #414895 by Hawkspur
There is a nice little page here talking about generator options. I have no connection with them apart from a few email exchanges a several years ago, where I found them very helpful, but I think it is worth reading through their comments.

If you need the 6kW generator (which I think your existing one is), then that is at the bottom end of serious diesel generators (multi-cylinder, 1500rpm operating speed), which will last forever if looked after, but these are expensive and seriously not portable.

It may make more sense to go for a cheaper/smaller generator and invest in more PV to reduce the need for the generator. What is your inverter capable of dealing with?

The LSB member powerguy may come on and have some more info too.

More
10 years 3 months ago #415282 by BRL
Speaking from personal experience - we're off-grid, have an Outback Inverter/Charger, Solar PV array, 24V battery bank, aircooled diesel backup genset to top up batteries.

Our generator is a 4.8Kw 1500 RPM Hatz (German) Diesel. Very economical to run, service intervals are further apart because it's a low revving unit. Had occasion to run a petrol unit for a few days while it was getting an overhaul and shocked at how much we had to spend on petrol compared to the usual diesel costs. Guess the significance of fuel costs will depend on how often you need to run the genny compared to the difference in capital costs of petrol vs diesel units. Our genny cost over $8000 3 years ago.

The current generator replaced a 3000 RPM Chinese unit that was sent back to the supplier for a full refund after its second complete failure in the first 6 months of use.

You can't beat buying quality, especially when your lights depend on it.

More
10 years 3 months ago #415283 by BRL
Another thought - you said your generator has died - engine failure or the generator side of things? If it's the generator side - have you checked that it isn't just a capacitor failure - more often than not, faulty capacitors are usually the culprit, and they're pretty cheap to replace.

More
10 years 3 months ago #415312 by griev
Get a Lister or a Perkins based genset, ensure it is a 1500 rpm as recc by others (less future problems)

Can you not get the current one repaired?

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds