lump in goats neck

More
10 years 4 months ago #30761 by 3 girls farming
My lovely wee goat Malfoy has a little lump in his neck.. about the size of a big marble and it doesn't seem to upset him (just me - I was horrified when I discovered it[:0])

A friend of mine who has owned many horses said that horses often get lumps which come and go and don't seem to cause any problems... could this be the same with my wee goat...

now this lump is under the skin - not visible but I can feel it when I stroke him.. any ideas anyone...??? does he need to see the vet??? :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #414586 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic lump in goats neck
Knowing nothing about goats, but having dealt with lumps on other animals, I would suggest you note
  • the exact location of the lump?
  • its shape (is it completely round, oval, lumpy, smooth...)?
  • is it soft/squashy or hard/tight?
  • can you move it at all under the skin?
  • does it appear to be attached to/part of anything?
  • is the area inflamed/red/warm/tender?
  • does it stretch the skin?
  • Is there any sign of injury in the area?
  • Has anything changed for the goat recently?
and then people with more specific knowledge may be able to help more or you can call the vet with this information, and they might tell you whether it sounds like you need them to check in person.

More
10 years 4 months ago #414588 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic lump in goats neck
Malfoy only came to live with me last Saturday so I can't answer a lot of the questions.. it's a hard lump.. when he's facing me it's on the right hand side of his neck, about half way down, I can move it, it doesn't feel attached to anything, not warm or tender.. seems to be in rather than on his neck (if you get what I mean).. I can't see an injury.. hope that helps

More
10 years 4 months ago #414590 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic lump in goats neck
It's probably a vaccine lump. Unless it's new? Can you find out his vaccination history?

More
10 years 4 months ago #414604 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic lump in goats neck
I too would guess a vaccination lump. We vax the cows, sheep and goats with 5-in-1 to stop them getting tetanus and other nasty bugs. The sheep usually don't react, the cattle often do, and the goats always do, to the booster (the second of the 2 injections). Some of our goats come up with a huge wound, others with only a small lump. This is the reason why vaxes are supposed to be done in the neck, because it is where a meat inspector will expect it at the freezing works, and the neck meat is not so valuable.

More
10 years 4 months ago #414606 by 3 girls farming
well it's definately in the neck so that does sound like the likely cause.. went down to see if I could double check anything but the little 'darlings' had escaped and were off in the sheep paddock and while they were keen to check me out, without the magic green bucket I was of no use to them at all... ggrrr... have left the gate open so them .. and their sheep friends .. can get into the shed for the night..

More
10 years 4 months ago #414609 by 3 girls farming
aawwhh.. now I feel like a really worry wart.. thanks guys.. you've set my mind at ease... now if someone can just explain to them that escaping when it's just going dark and making me run around the paddock dressed in my good work clothes and some gumboots is not ok.. I would really appreciate it... hahaha

More
10 years 4 months ago #414615 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic lump in goats neck
One of mine always gets a vaccine lump and it grows to the size of a golf ball then explodes and the gunk is gross. I grabbed her by the collar last time and the collar sort of slid up under the lump and it exploded everywhere, yucky, I washed it with sterile water and sprayed it with iodine and you can't even see where it was nows

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 4 months ago #414717 by LongRidge
TKP .... very, very common with goats. You will know, of course :-), ..... that most sheep vaxes are not licenced to use in goats. But very valuable never-the-less.

More
10 years 4 months ago #414727 by Andrea1
I have not heard of an exploding vaccine lump. Whatever it was sounds like it was quite infected. I'm glad it healed well!

More
10 years 3 months ago #415279 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic lump in goats neck
if you are getting vaccine lumps that explode pus then you need to have a good look at your vaccination hygiene.
Never vaccinate wet animals. Use a decent needle and renew it regularly - make sure it is an appropriate size for the product being injected and the right length. Always follow the label directions for the product you are using. if it says SQ (under the skin) then that is where it must go. If it says into the muscle that is where it must go and you are probably going to need a longer needle than what you would use for SQ.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 3 months ago #415306 by LongRidge
cowvet, do you use Multine 5-in-1? I should try another one, but our vets supply this. Every batch tends to be a bit different in the abcess causing ability .... or perhaps they send the batches that will cause abcesses to Nelson???? With 5-in-1 on the animals, I use an even more sterile technique that I do on myself with insulin. I've never had an insulin injection abcess, even after 40,000 (about) injections. With the animals I may be going IM sometimes, if/when they wriggle, but I do pinch the skin unlike most farmers .....

More
10 years 3 months ago #415410 by Andrea1
I use a swab of iodine or alcohol on a spot I have to vax, whether it's an SQ or an IM. I've never had a vaccine lump, except in the very first goat I did years ago, and she jumped at the last sec and I missed the iodine spot. I just put a wider are on nowadays, in case someone jumps again. I also clean reusable needles in alcohol before use.

More
10 years 3 months ago #415673 by LongRidge
Andrea, do you use Multine 5-in-1 on your animals? If some other anti-clostridial, which one?

More
10 years 3 months ago #415709 by Andrea1
I no longer use any anti-clostridials on my goats or cattle. In the past, I had used Ultravac (I think that's the right name...).

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds