Condy's crystals to colour horses

More
12 years 1 month ago #414839 by muri
Didi, all you are saying there are different genetic predispositions.
If not then you are saying lung cancer etc is totally unrelated to smoking. That probably goes well against the grain of medical research
Three of my extended family got lung cancer and were smokers. So that really tells you nothing about smoking at all, but tells you heaps about my family
So what this shows us is that there are differences. What works for one does not for another.
Putting colour into horses, using any colourings in my mind, is not particularly smart.
Some horse colours such as grey and chestnut are very prone to skin issues, more than bays and blacks for example.
And not just colourings but lots of chemicals we pour on horses for whatever reason.
Grey horses have a much higher rate of melanoma than any other colour and I would be cautious about using anything like condys crystals etc if there was any doubt in my mind
We need to be a lot more cautious about what we do with a horses skin. I see people at shows pouring so much stuff on their ponies, it isnt funny.
Everything going onto the skin is absorbed into the whole system.
When I was studying for my Gro Safe certificate [which enables you to use sprays etc safely] the spray manual, which is available in any library probably, has a list of toxicity of sprays and animal products.
The animal products on the whole had much higher toxicity ratings than any of the sprays.
Yet we happily pour all this stuff on, and at great expense, and now we see a growing rate of cancer in animals, that wasnt there 10 or so years ago.
If something is deemed to be carcogenic, then think about looking for an alternative instead of shooting the messenger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414879 by DiDi
muri - I am very good at looking at alternatives. My grey horse was washed in Martha Gardners Wool Mix after turning into a rodeo bucking nightmare when washed with the grey horse shampoo (purple!) and his tail was washed with sunlight soap. Stunning result and no reaction from him.

Incidentally, I can't for the life of me figure out any reason to dye a horse pink or purple! I also found it hard to see people putting black shoe polish around their grey horses eyes at shows - I kid you not! Not sure I have an issue with dying their tails though as the darker the horse the more washed out the tail gets.

The point I make about smoking, cancer, diabetes and you could add a lot to that list, is as you point out - based on genetics to a large degree. Having worked in the field of animal genetics for many years, and having a very medical family, I consider myself fairly on top of what I write. If on the other hand, people know nothing about genetics, rhesus factor complications etc then they will swallow every piece of rubbish thrown at them by those with an agenda. IF I die of lung cancer, I will not be blaming anyone else. It is my choice to smoke a legal drug. Now alcohol swilling and driving compared with smoking... :confused:[:(!]

More
12 years 1 month ago #414909 by RhodeRed

Organix;411378 wrote: Or the rust marks :D

The secret is to keep them very, VERY well oiled ! [:0]

More
12 years 1 month ago #414936 by Anne

GloPony;411351 wrote: You could also feed paprika as a cheap alternative.

Ummmm, this is a real no no. Paprika contains capsaicin - which is a banned substance because of its pain killing properties.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414979 by GloPony
Is it new on the list Anne? I know a lot of people use it & they're all showies.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415090 by Anne

GloPony;411626 wrote: Is it new on the list Anne? I know a lot of people use it & they're all showies.

Its been on the list for at least 5 years. I know lots of people use it who are showies - but they're so seldom tested that it doesn't seem to matter. Other sports have random testing at all competitions and so the word gets around fairly quickly that some things can't be used. Showing tends only to test at the really major championships, and then only the winners.

Black as Knight also contains it - but people still use it, and it doesn't say on the label that it will test positive. Its meant to have about a 7 day stand down period - but if you're showing every weekend, that would mean you'd never get to use it!

Latest Horse & Pony has a question about using paprika and James Hart's reply.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415114 by betenoir
I just don't get why you need to 'deepen' or change a horses colour for showing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
12 years 1 month ago #415118 by betenoir
Also checked out MSDS for potassium permanganate (condys crystals chemical name) from several reputable sites (chemwatch and safechem) and there is no mention of it being carcinogenic..it is listed as a skin and intestinal irritant so I would want a very good reason to use it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
12 years 1 month ago #415122 by Horsey chick
I have a black horse that used to fade out badly not long after getting each new coat int he spring and autumn. This year I've been putting out equilibrium mineral mix, salt, dolomite and copper sulphate in a feed dish, free choice. They ate a lot of it to start with and now will have a lick every so often. My black horse is still black, for the first time in years. If your horse is fading out badly, then it may be lacking minerals.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415590 by GloPony
I saw that article Anne & thought of the discussion here. :p He seemed to think you'd have to feed quite a bit of it to get a positive test.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415639 by Anne

GloPony;412294 wrote: I saw that article Anne & thought of the discussion here. :p He seemed to think you'd have to feed quite a bit of it to get a positive test.

In the past, I have been told that 1 tablespoon/day will deepen the coat, but will also give a positive swab.

Betenoir, I understand that you may not believe that deepening the coat is necessary, but if I am spending a lot of money on producing a horse or pony for the show ring, where they are judged on their looks (and young stock are judged on looks, because performance isn't happening yet) I don't want to miss out on being in the money (or ribbons) because the coat looks washed out and faded. And, when I am showing professionally, these horses and ponies are my advertising, so I need to produce them in the very best way possible.

I also feed linseed and sunflower seeds, but on occasions that is not enough, or the pony hasn't come to me soon enough (it takes at least 3 weeks for the coat to improve from feeding) or I do not want the animal to have hard feed for some reason.

And yes, I understand that you may think those are spurious or frivolous reasons to use anything to improve the looks of a horse or pony, I don't and am happy that what I am doing does not harm the horse or pony.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415962 by Toast
Capsicain is the substance that caused somebody to lose a show jumping medal at the Olympics!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
12 years 1 month ago #415996 by jsmum
Yes, Condy's crystals is known as potassium permanganate amongst other things. It is a strong oxidant. If you pour glycerol onto it, it will spontaneously combust with an intense flame. It is not a dye, it chemically reacts with whatever you put it on and changes colour when it forms manganese dioxide. Yes, it will kill bacteria as it reacts with their cell membranes so would be great for disease.
Personally, I would not be putting it on an animal to chemically react their coat and I wouldn't ingest it but to each their own.

More
12 years 1 month ago #416068 by Stikkibeek
It wasn't so long ago that Condy's crystals were recommended by Doctors, for bathing the dreaded School Sores (AKA Impetigo) and fungal infections of the feet. We have also used them for treating white scours in calves.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds