Charges at kennels

More
14 years 5 months ago #3074 by reggit
Charges at kennels was created by reggit
Our local kennels that we have been using for about 10 years now has had a change of ownership and change of pricing policy that I would like some feedback on to see if it is standard or not...

Up til now it has been charged by the night - so if you take the dog into the kennels on a Saturday night and get it back out again Sunday afternoon, that was one day/night ($15).

Now, no matter what time you take the dog in on the Saturday, if the dog is not picked up by 11am the Sunday you are charged for two days/nights ($30).

The owners say that they found out they were the only kennels in the whole of NZ where the first charging was being used...and that if the dog is not out of the kennel by 11am they can't get it ready for another dog that day. What the last owners did was put the dog in the run from 11am until it was picked up, so no skin off their nose...

What is the situation with other kennels that others out there use please?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #80759 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Charges at kennels
Kennel owners are at liberty to charge whatever they wish but when I had my boarding kennels, if you bought your dog in on a Sat morning and picked it up Sunday morning, then that was 1 day charge BUT if you picked it up Sunday afternoon, then I charged for 2 days. Most kennels charge per 24 hours, or part thereof. All the boarding catteries I know of charge this way as well..

More
14 years 5 months ago #80763 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Charges at kennels
Mine officially counts an overnight as two days, but sometimes they waive the final day if he's been there a few days. They feed morning and night and the dog is occupying space both days so I figure it's fair enough. Also the kennel I use is very accommodating about stuff like after-hours pickups at no extra charge and gives a discount for being a regular customer so I figure I'm getting a good deal anyway.

Is $15 the standard rate up your way? Here it's a bit less I think.

hilldweller

More
14 years 5 months ago #80764 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Charges at kennels
Why do you need kennels Tigger? Would you dogs like to come for a stay in the country? I would really like to find someone who can do "dog swaps". When you go away, I have your dogs, when I go away, you have mine. Mostly I can take mine with me, but sometimes I'm going away for a longer time and they have to stay home. What do you think?

More
14 years 5 months ago #80768 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Charges at kennels
Thanks Anne, it would be a nice idea but she needs a full enclosed escape proof yard as she just keeps on running if she gets out! No sense at all, absolutely ruled by her nose (and stomach [}:)]).

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 5 months ago #80772 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Charges at kennels
Bugger I was going to suggest the same as Ann...I can't really have a dog full time now as I don't think its fair with being out at work all day...but would welcome canine company at weekends as long a they don't attempt to eat the other residents. My place definateley isn't escape proof for a fre range canine though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 5 months ago #80867 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Charges at kennels
But I've got one of those yards!!!!!!! Its not huge, but big enough for a couple of dogs, high - about 2 metres, plastic coated wire mesh etc etc. I also take the dogs out riding with me each day - as long as she runs in the right direction, it won't matter - there's no roads, traffic, or houses for miles.

Don't forget I have had hound puppies - they are the masters at running off after scents.

Come and visit if you'd like.

Or if Tigger isn't interested, does anyone else want to set up this sort of arrangement?

More
14 years 5 months ago #80879 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Charges at kennels
normal for a charge to be made if the animal is not picked up before a certain time on the day its going out - like a motel/hotel check out, you need to be out by a certain time so the rooms can be changed and cleaned.

Standard practice at any boarding facility (cat or dog) that I have worked at.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
14 years 5 months ago #81306 by Waffling Milk Maid
yup, all the kennels and catteries I know of go by that (the second) rule. Doesn't matter what time of the day they come in usually, that day is charged for. Morning pick ups mean you don't include that day (the pick up day) in the charging, afternoon pick up and you do.

Most places are open about 9-11am, and then again at 4-6pm (or roughly similar) so the mornings and evenings are defined by their opening hours easily, hence the 'after 11am' thing, as that's the end of their open times for a dog to be collected. If you're not picking up in the morning shift (before 11am in your case) then the dog is going to be there until at least 4pm. And especially with dogs you generally don't have the time between a dog leaving at 4pm and the new dog arriving at 4:10pm to have the run cleared out and cleaned for the newcomer, so the run your dog was in is basically still used up until the end of the open hours when there's time to clean it down. Therefore it's being charged for the full day if your dog leaves after '11am'

Owned by a standard poodle, a couple of burmese cats, a miniature horse, & a budgie.
Also proud mum to Caleb and Piper

More
14 years 5 months ago #81505 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Charges at kennels
I count nights rather that days when I charge people - easier for me and them to keep track, mind you I'm in it for the love of animals so I don't think I'll ever make money - what the heck!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 5 months ago #81574 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Charges at kennels
Kats, you are silly :-). Why would you want to look after an animal for 2 whole days (1 night) for a 1 day charge? I did that when I first started out but soon became wise; people just take you for granted!

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds