Flags, pendants/pennants nz rules?

More
14 years 4 months ago #3068 by Hestia
Does someone know flag rules of NZ?

These are the rules I know, what are yours?
Flag up 8 - 8 or sunset to sunrise,
(never fly night time on public buildings, private people can do as they want but looks bad to have out door night time)

Pennant/pendant (seen different spelling)
Can be up all around the day.

Can there be TWO pendants in ONE pole when on land and not on a boat???
The country you are in highest up and the one you represent second down.
Is this ok when on land or do pendants as flags need separate poles when on land??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #80694 by Kiwi303
I'll dig up the rules, theres a Govt site on them. back soon [:P]

Ministry of Culture and Heritage deals with the flags and regulations governing them.
www.mch.govt.nz/nzflag/index.html
check Protocol in the right hand column menu for how and where to display them

also theres the NZ ensign legislation
interim.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/co...{32D4E}&softpage=DOC

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 4 months ago #80702 by Hestia

First links gives me that you are not allowed to fly two countries flags on same pole but a house flag can be hanging under the country flag.

quote:
Within New Zealand, the New Zealand Flag takes precedence over all other national flags and house flags. However, international practice forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another in time of peace.

When the New Zealand Flag is flown with the flags of other nations, each flag should be the same size and should fly from a separate flagpole of the same height. A house flag may fly beneath the New Zealand Flag on the same flagpole.
end of quote.

my own country rules says that no flag together with a pendant on same pole unless specific ocassion (such as?)
*******but what about two pendants on same pole?******
would like to fly nz pendant highest and my own native one under neath it.
Guess no one can take me to court or fine me for it but would like to know what is right or not.
*****Also: have not seen any NZ pendants!******
In scandinavia it is common that houses has poles, out on the country side you often saw poles at each house (these days they seem not to be that patriotic and when the pole gets old it does not get replaced, old farmhouses often had a bowery of lilac bushes and a small path leading in to the narrow bowery that housed only the flag pole. today you can find farmhouses with a narrow bowery and young genearyion does not understand what it is since they are so small so you can't use it as a normal BBQ bowery since no more space than for maximum a chair)
to fly a pendant makes it easy since you don't have to take it down every evening as you have to do with a flag.

www.mch.govt.nz/nzflag/other-flags.html
nz red ensign, saw a red nz flag some weeks ago and did not understand what it was, here is the explanation!

More
14 years 4 months ago #80762 by Kiwi303
Blue ensign = Land forces
White Ensign = Warships and Naval forces
Red Ensign = Merchant Marine and Civil Government vessels
Air Force ensign = Air force establishments (not common to see this one)

Basicly the same rules as the british ensigns.
I had to study flags and protocol in the Cadet forces. it's interesting.

Insofar as I know, there is no NZ pendant, only the flags of different sizes. the Naval use of pendants could probably apply. An Admirals pendant is submissive to the Nations flag, so on a flagpole with gaff, the flag is on the gaff and the pendant is on the pole.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds