Computer beeps .. major problem ?

More
10 years 4 months ago #30617 by Stu_R
Ok My Dell computer oldish one about 3 years i think and running windows XP .. has started making a single beep through the speakers about every 2-4 minutes or so i guess
IT also tossed out the local network ( internet connection via modem) befor this beep thing started
I unplugged the modem when computer was off and left it all off for a while
Plugged modem back in and turened computer on .. am at least able to use internet now :) just it beeps every 3 minutes
Is this like the beep codes on the system motherboard type thing ? .. as in , is it trying to tell me something like a ram problem or something like that ?

:) any help from computer experts greatly appreciated :)
I will just keep use it if there is no big problem with it .. one can get used to a beep through speakers :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #412751 by stephclark
not an expert..but turn down the volumn on your speakers .. that will stop the annoying beep anyway :D

More
10 years 4 months ago #412752 by Stu_R
lol lol yeah .. :) is ok its not THAT loud :) lol lo .. and yeah speakers are only on about 3 out of 10 on volume :) lol

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
10 years 4 months ago #412761 by Stu_R
:) no idea what it was .. and it went on for about an hour all up .. but what ever it was , it has stopped doing it now :) and everything seems to be working just fine :)
Buggered if i know , got me beat totally
Such is life :)

More
10 years 4 months ago #412775 by Stikkibeek
Is it an overheating device? We have some computers where I work that have heat alarms. At least one of those beeps, another makes a bebblebebble sort of noise, like a quiet siren.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 4 months ago #412780 by Stu_R
nope was just a beep through speakers .. um buggered if i know .. but its not doing it anymore :)

More
10 years 4 months ago #412789 by Stikkibeek
Then perhaps it's just a truck.......backing up slowly :)
or, the internal battery is in need of changing.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 4 months ago #412790 by Ruth
No, it'd be a bus, inside a computer.

More
10 years 4 months ago #412847 by Kiwi303
Could pay to take the cover off and have a look inside, maybe the heat issue could be at fault, if the fan looks chocka a suck with the hoover should clean them out.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
10 years 4 months ago #412855 by wiredkiwi
It definitely means something. I'd be fairly sure it's overheating. Get the lid off and vacuum out the innards paying special attention to the fan cos with a PC that age there's going to be a whole colony of dust bunnies in there.

Dell uses beep diagnostics for faults. If it does it again, look at the lights on the front, and google the model of your PC with 'beep diagnostic' to find the fault.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
10 years 4 months ago #413564 by RhodeRed
If you still have the original manuals that came with your machine check the motherboard manual - it should have a guide in there as to what the beep is for relative to when it makes the noise and the frequency/duration of the beep.

If you don't have the books you will be able to find downloadable versions online.

FWIW I'd had problems with Dell computers quite some time ago and a good friend had his own set of woes ordering a graphics workstation with them and getting dramatically short-changed on the spec' repeatedly.

Good luck!

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds