Coast to Coast race.

• Sue
10 years 4 months ago #30610 by Sue
Coast to Coast race. was created by Sue
Who has got friends or relations doing this race today or tomorrow, or both!
My daughter and son in law are doing the team 2 day race-for the first time.
I've just had a text from my daughter to say she has finished her run/bike, started from Kumara beach at 7am, and A. is 1.5hrs into the 33 km mountain run! It's quite exciting getting an update while the race is in progress-just been looking at the photos of the start on line. H.does the Kayak leg tomorrow-she only learnt how to Kayak a few months ago, especially for this race, so fingers crossed for them!
Their aim is just to finish! :D
Guess who is child and animal sitting for them [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #412714 by grannie Mary
Replied by grannie Mary on topic Coast to Coast race.
how lucky for them that the weather is kind, coolish, but not cold or hot

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
10 years 4 months ago #412716 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Coast to Coast race.
Yes, her text said "weather warm and overcast-perfect!"

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 4 months ago #412720 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Coast to Coast race.
Wait till they get over this side, if they're not already. Weather is crap. I was all bundled up in winter gear to do chores this morning!!! Have just come in and thinking about getting a fire going to take off the chill!!! It's only 13C outside, rainy, slight breeze. But they'll be working so hard, they probably won't even feel it! Saw them setting up at the Waimak Gorge yesterday morning. We tend to avoid that route on the day, as it's a madhouse! Good luck to your daughter and SIL!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #412731 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Coast to Coast race.
Good luck to them! Hope they enjoy it and do as well as they wish. :)

I knew a woman who decided to do it a few years back. Her co-workers mocked her, and thought it was just a laugh.:rolleyes:
After she completed it, they asked how she went. Not bad: she was 3rd woman home. They were a little taken aback! :D :D

More
10 years 4 months ago #412742 by Sue
They spend the night at Klondyke Corner-in a tent- it looks sunny there by the photos at the finish Andrea.
www.sportzhubmedia.co.nz/ctc2012/#app=e1f7&3d3-selectedIndex=1

Last text was expecting A. in from the mountain run about 2.30-3pm-that will be 5 1/2 hours. The first people have already finished by the looks of the leaderboard on line!

I'm just amazed about how much in contact you can be with these events without actually being there!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 4 months ago #412747 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Coast to Coast race.
:) Sue .. great to hear they are going in it :)
:) has grandson brought their show purchase with them to :) :)
Hope he is enjoying his time at your place :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 4 months ago #412750 by Sue
Hi Stu-yes I'm looking after 'the show purchase!" but he is staying at their home, along with 2 other cats and 2 dogs-only Logan gets to stay here with us ;-)
I go down twice a day to feed and excercise the menagerie.

H. didn't think there would be cell phone coverage in there-but texts and now results of day 1 and photos taken all along the race course are coming in.

Sue

More
10 years 4 months ago #412800 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Coast to Coast race.
Lucky them over in Chch to have sunshine! We've been in mucky weather all day here in Oxford. Just watched that Judkins video on the website, and it's half got me thinking of doing at least the first leg in the not too distant future... pretty inspiring!

More
10 years 4 months ago #412966 by Sue
Had the latest text from daughter, she's off the river after 6 hours paddling the Waimak.
Just the last 70kms for SIL to bike and they should be finished around 5.15-5.30pm-at Sumner Beach, barring punctures of course!
I'm tired just thnking about it!

Sue

More
10 years 4 months ago #412968 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Coast to Coast race.
Do they get tickets if they text while on their bikes? Or maybe they are lucky and no cops down there

More
10 years 4 months ago #412970 by Sue
I doubt they have time to text while competing!

I get them from the other member of the team whilst the other is racing, and they get driven around to the next leg of the race! My 'kids' are competing in the 2 day team event, so they share who does what!
They have two assistants with them to get them transported, put up and take down tent, transport bikes and kayak and feed them!

Their combined times yesterday were about 9 hours. Today H. started at Klondyke corner with a 15km bike ride and then the 67km kayak down the river.

This is the route! www.coasttocoast.co.nz/map.htm

Text at 5.04pm from H. to say A. had finished the bike leg-too quick for photos-they've both got their finishers medals and a can of Speights each-that's what it is all about-finishing 243 kms by leg or pedal or paddle!

Sue

More
10 years 4 months ago #412983 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Coast to Coast race.
Congrats to them! What an achievement!!!!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #413003 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Coast to Coast race.
Wow, very very impressed, especially when you look at the course profile.
Here is most of NZ getting more and more obese and younger and younger, but you have all these fabulous events that people can participate in
Not for me but I do admire those that do it

More
10 years 4 months ago #413010 by 3scoremiles10
Replied by 3scoremiles10 on topic Coast to Coast race.
We saw the support crews driving past with kayaks on their cars as we were back and forth moving hay. Congratulations to your daughter and son-in-law for finishing! :D

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds