Drying pine firewood

More
10 years 5 months ago #30372 by Rod Brown
My firewood shed is water proof and wind proof (not an ideal wood shed) when I throw wood in there straight after cutting, it obviously sweats a bit while trying to dry out and some of it is a bit wet and starting to rot several months later when I want to burn it.

I put it straight in the shed to save double handling but realize it is not entirely satisfactory...........if I were to stack it outside first how long would I need to leave it outside to mostly dry sufficiently before I could then throw it into the wood shed?

I know one is supposed to leave it outside for a year before using it but I am not in a position to do that! I should have this winters supply cut up by the end of this month.

Thanks.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409919 by FarmerEms
Replied by FarmerEms on topic Drying pine firewood
I have been told it takes approx 100 days for split wood to become nicely dry for burning.

I think the key is air movement, if there is a way of ventilating your shed so wind passes through the pile you should be good to go

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
10 years 5 months ago #409940 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Drying pine firewood
I should think a minimum of three months to dry green but split firewood. Pine will burn quite satisfactorily if not fully dry, but you will soot up your chimney as there is a lot of resin in pine.

It needs to be loosely stacked under some sort of cover outdoors. or in a ventilated area.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 5 months ago #409949 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Drying pine firewood
Try putting it on pallets both outside and in the shed, Rod, to allow air flow underneath, and as Stikkibeek says, stack loosely. Allowing as much wind and sun on it as possible before finally putting it in the shed should help dry it out, with a removable tarp for when it rains.

Always a good feeling having the wood situation sorted out before winter, isn't it?
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409955 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Drying pine firewood
If it is young pine, under 30 or so years, it will not have much resin in it so will be more inclined to rot.
An overhang over the shed like an eave might be a better place to store it than in the shed itself to allow for the air movement. Some old roofing iron could be used to make an overhang and you wont need to double handle

More
10 years 5 months ago #410013 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic Drying pine firewood
When we've been in the same situation to do this, we haven't "stacked" it, more tossed it into the area it is being stored in, that way it forms an open pile. As Mich said, we use something around the outsides to form walls.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
10 years 5 months ago #410046 by Lilibeth
Replied by Lilibeth on topic Drying pine firewood
My macho man husband said 4-5 months is ideal.

More
10 years 5 months ago #410049 by lars arsbjorn
Replied by lars arsbjorn on topic Drying pine firewood
emergency pre-dates need for woods must not be moist, this helping i hope

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
10 years 5 months ago #410070 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Drying pine firewood
just pull the solid back wall off the shed, replace with intermittent slats so you have air movement through the shed and just chuck it in loose, that should solve the majority of the problem.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
10 years 5 months ago #410197 by canajanz
Replied by canajanz on topic Drying pine firewood
Make sure the wood sits off the ground
Slatted or louvered side to teh shed keep out enough rain and allow in enough air so the wood dries beautifully

We used to stack wood by the cord, outside, uncovered, the winter before it was wanted. It was always great by the time we wanted it but my slatted shed does the same job quicker

canajanz

More
10 years 5 months ago #410237 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Drying pine firewood
Wood dries outside during summer, as long as it is not in contact with the ground (this only affects the bottom layer).

We move ours into a covered area during autumn after we had a few fine dry days in a row. The bottom layer is made into a smaller pile which is left for a couple of weeks, then stored away, too.

More
10 years 5 months ago #410291 by Chris-HB
Replied by Chris-HB on topic Drying pine firewood
The time required to dry firewood (in my experience) depends not just on the amount of air movement around the wood but also the type of wood. Macrocarpa well ventilated becomes very burnable here in less than three months if loosely stacked and covered but gum and large kanuka takes a full year if in big pieces. Radiata has similar "guts" to macrocarpa (as in little) so should dry just as quickly.

The "stack on pallets" idea is great- all my firewood sheds have them and you can get down on pallets free if you ask about

Chris-HB

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds