chainsaw training/education manawatu

More
10 years 5 months ago #30313 by 3 girls farming
I've tried all sorts of different places to try and get some chainsaw training before I set myself loose on collecting fire wood for winter but there is nowhere in the Manawatu willing to do this for a reasonable price so I'm now throwing it out to the Lifestyle block 'family'

.. is there anyone in the Manawatu who is willing to teach me how to use a chainsaw safely ... In exchange I'm happy to swap my time cutting their wood; they can come and take as much of my manuka as they want and/or I will make lunch.....

All I expect is that you will have very safe chainsaw practices that you can pass onto me (I'd prefer to keep all my limbs intact:eek:) and a far dollop of patience while I learn..

any takers??????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409251 by greenfingers
Have you tried your Polytech? Ask to talk to their Arboriculture tutors, not just the people who deal with enrolments, and ask them if it is possible to just attend the chainsaw modules, I know you used to be able to here at Waikato.

Have you enquired about the farm courses run through Wrightsons or the likes?

OH would gladly teach you (he's a professional Arbourist), but you're a bit far away from us (and he's a bit under the weather at the moment :( ).

Good luck!

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
10 years 5 months ago #409277 by DiDi
Try this site for information and maybe they have something coming up in you area. www.farmsafe.co.nz

I did ATV and Chainsaw courses with them and really enjoyed them.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409288 by FencerMan
Or Taratahi Agricultural Training Centre in Masterton...0800 TARATAHI

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
10 years 5 months ago #409292 by Aria
Hi 3 girls farming - our son works for Greater Wellington Regional Council and has been professionally trained in chainsaw safety. He's up here this coming long weekend (Wellington Anniversary) to do some chainsaw work for us. You're quite welcome to come for a visit to get some instruction. Send us a PM via the site if that suits. cheers.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409293 by Stu_R
Farmsafe have an office in Manchester st Feilding 3GF ... can shoot in and ask for you and find out costs and courses ... if you want me to .. just let me know :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #409402 by skyline_glenn

FencerMan;405413 wrote: Or Taratahi Agricultural Training Centre in Masterton...0800 TARATAHI

I did a quad safety, chainsaw safety and a fencing course through these guys, with 5 neighbours. They were great, they came out to our place, it cost us nothing and we came away with NCEA credits and qualifications.
Not sure on the free part anymore as it was 3 years ago.

Glenn

More
9 years 1 month ago #459857 by andycarrie
Glenn, can you tell me how long the course took?for chainsaws and atv.

• germanshepherd
9 years 1 month ago #459919 by germanshepherd
Replied by germanshepherd on topic chainsaw training/education manawatu
gee,i really needed it years ago too but have picked it up on my own plus watched a few people.I think you will pick it up quickly.To me it just seems all common sense.One foot forward for balance/take strain off back.Start cut down back of log then come down the front.That helps get a grip and seems easier to cut the rest of the log.The gripper on the side should grip as well.I hope i m right .Please feel free to correct me.I also think that some people start from the back of the log and just do one complete cut but it all depends on the size of the saw.Most of the big ones will do one cut with ease.(note,i am not a pro)
I should have bought a saw with an anti compression switch because now i cant even start my saw due to muscle loss and i have to get someone else to start the gee thing.
EDIT
Has anyone bought one of the new tungsten tip chains?They sure are expensive

More
9 years 1 month ago #459920 by Aquila
Go do a course. A lot depends on how the log is sitting and the stresses on it. Safety is the biggest thing, plan ahead, if this happens my escape routes (2) are here and here and must be at least 90° different. I've seen fatalities where a tree falls right between someones escape routes (less than 90° apart) and got them.

Also if it all turns too custard drop the saw and run, Run, RUN. Dont stop till everything stops moving.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• germanshepherd
9 years 1 month ago #459921 by germanshepherd
good advice Aquila.A few years ago i was helping a guy.I thought i was standing well away from the tree he was cutting down.It landed just in front of me and i felt the air of it landed.The easiest logs are the ones with no problems.You get any on angles and that is when the fun starts.
EDIT
Can anyone tell me if those tungsten tip chains can be sharpened with conventional stones/sharpening equipment?

More
9 years 1 month ago #459949 by griev

germanshepherd;461467 wrote: gee,i really needed it years ago too but have picked it up on my own plus watched a few people.I think you will pick it up quickly.To me it just seems all common sense.One foot forward for balance/take strain off back.Start cut down back of log then come down the front.That helps get a grip and seems easier to cut the rest of the log.The gripper on the side should grip as well.I hope i m right .Please feel free to correct me.I also think that some people start from the back of the log and just do one complete cut but it all depends on the size of the saw.Most of the big ones will do one cut with ease.(note,i am not a pro)
I should have bought a saw with an anti compression switch because now i cant even start my saw due to muscle loss and i have to get someone else to start the gee thing.
EDIT
Has anyone bought one of the new tungsten tip chains?They sure are expensive

there is a lot more to chainsawing than just that.

My course was two full days, I have used chainsaws for years and walked away after the 1st day wondering how I managed to be on the course and not dead - I don't want to scare you off as I still happily get out there with my chainsaw, I just use it with a lot more care and respect.

So do a course from a proper facility, they are trained to teach, it is what they do.

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

More
9 years 1 month ago #459952 by Aquila
When you use a chainsaw day after day after day and occasionally use that saw too remove a tree from your mates body because he got it wrong then you put that mate in a bag, you get too learn too respect your tools

• germanshepherd
9 years 1 month ago #459964 by germanshepherd
yes,you ave to be extra careful when you have someone helping you.

More
9 years 1 month ago #459966 by Aquila

germanshepherd;461517 wrote: yes,you ave to be extra careful when you have someone helping you.

Its not someone helping, used to do it for a job. We'd have 3 fellers working independently of each other. Worst thing is not hearing someones saw for a while. You'd go have a look and find your mate dead.

Respect the chainsaw and the trees you work with. Nothing worse than a day off work for a funeral.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds