Horrors in our Food

More
12 years 4 months ago #410344 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Horrors in our Food

Mich;406542 wrote: Hi Organix - sorry, but I disagree that plenty of dentists don't know the effect on bodily health - good oral health is really important, particularly prior to surgery, because of the risk of infection that poor oral health causes. Surgery patients are often examined and, if necessary, treated by the hospital dental surgeons prior to operations being undertaken. My point about this is that many people underestimate the role in general wellbeing that oral health has but not, I venture to say, dentists. It has been a number of years since I worked in the dental unit at our local hospital but, from memory, I'm pretty sure all dentists are required to work for a year as dental house surgeons as part of their registration, and therefore would be well aware of the health aspects.
Cheers, Mich.

The link between bad oral hygiene and infection risk in other parts of the body is well recognised and obvious. The often chronic follow on effects from procedures such as root canal treatments, cosmetic orthodontics and amalgam fillings are much less well recognised.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410364 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;406563 wrote: The link between bad oral hygiene and infection risk in other parts of the body is well recognised and obvious. The often chronic follow on effects from procedures such as root canal treatments, cosmetic orthodontics and amalgam fillings are much less well recognised.

Let me put this into a different context to illustrate the problem with this statement: The link between bacteria and illness is well recognised. However the link between use of antibiotics and the decline of the unicorns is much less well recognised.
Looking at this statement it seems quite obvious why the second statement is much less well recognised. It could even be argues that there is a good reason for that. The reason is the same as with your statement. People with the appropriate training have looked and found it to be NOT SO!

Also your understanding of blind placebo trials is unsurprisingly rudimentary. You are however right in surmising that it is neither easy nor cheap - science hardly ever is. Science is also hardly ever deterred by that fact. The obstacles you mentioned are mostly overcome through numbers and statistics.
It seems interesting to me that these kind of arguments seem to always end with the alternative practitioners claiming that their methods are beyond science and can therefore not be measured or tested by scientific methods. It certainly looks to me as though "alternative" is a denial of science rather than the other way round.

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410445 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Horrors in our Food
Going back to the original subject of this thread this article is good information, and the linked video of Dr Loren Cordain's presentation is well worth watching if you have 72 minutes and broadband.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410456 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;406562 wrote: I don't see the relevance of an acute injury to chronic inflammatory conditions, which is what I thought we were discussing :rolleyes:

Probably irrelevant as you can't come up with a wiches brew to treat it unconventionally. Though no doubt some believers of alternative hocus pocus can probably find a herb to waft over it to heal it miraculously.
Most (not all) alternative treatments play on the desperation of people using them. They are often used as a last resort when the original ailment was probably getting better of its own accord, but people put down the healing to whatever they tried last.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410464 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Horrors in our Food
Organix - thanks for your posts and the links. I, too, am a great believer in alternative medicine and have reaped the benefits big time. One of my favourites is Dr Sandra Cabot.

Without antibiotics, scalpels, x-rays and other diagnostic methods mainstream medical doctors would look very sorry indeed and they know that. So if I have a bacterial infection or a broken bone or something that needs to be cut out or if I need a diagnosis I see my GP. If it is an age related ailment I tinker with it myself. So far so good.

Kai and Huggiechook - I'm glad that you obviously have never been told by a medical practitioner that there is nothing else they can do for you. Let's hope it will stay that way. Otherwise you might be tempted to have a look at what alternative medicine has to offer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410505 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Horrors in our Food

Simkin;406692 wrote: ...Without antibiotics, scalpels, x-rays and other diagnostic methods mainstream medical doctors would look very sorry indeed and they know that.

Without their hammers, nails and measuring tapes most mainstream builders would also look very sorry and I have a feeling they too are aware of that [:o)]

Simkin;406692 wrote: Kai and Huggiechook - I'm glad that you obviously have never been told by a medical practitioner that there is nothing else they can do for you. Let's hope it will stay that way. Otherwise you might be tempted to have a look at what alternative medicine has to offer.

Very good point! See the thing is that nobody claims that proper medicine has all the answers. They certainly dont. Nobody does - not even the magical alternative healers.
See the thing is that if somebody that is backed by proper science and research tells me that they don't know or cant help something then why would I put more trust into someone who relies mostly on hearsay, google and an overactive imagination for their cures?
As far as I can see alternative can only stay alternative by rejecting to be assessed by scientific means. Anything that is properly assessed will either become medicine (the way that willow bark became Aspirin) or it will become snake oil.

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410518 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Horrors in our Food
Sorry, all out of troll food :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410544 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;406752 wrote: Sorry, all out of troll food :rolleyes:

That is a shame because I am genuinly interested what it is that made you believe, trust and recommend the specific page in your previous post.
More to the point - given that everybody seems to agree that there really actually are snake oil salesman out there. How do you determine which is which? :confused:

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410562 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Horrors in our Food
Kai - I would fixt a broken bone with comfrey [;)]- if there were no doctors about, ie Bear Grylls in the wild :D . Comfrey, also known as Boneset heals from deep within. I have never tried it (no broken bones).

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410567 by cappina
Replied by cappina on topic Horrors in our Food

Huggiechook;406783 wrote: That is a shame because I am genuinly interested what it is that made you believe, trust and recommend the specific page in your previous post.
More to the point - given that everybody seems to agree that there really actually are snake oil salesman out there. How do you determine which is which? :confused:

common sense. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410570 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Horrors in our Food
Thanks Kai, having experienced acute injury, ie broken bones, some might be surprised to learn that the conventional medical authorities, you know the ones that train for 7+ years at great personal expense just to become the puppets of Pharmacetical company"s ...........do look at the bigger picture. In my case, all bases were covered from DV, to osteoporosis, in my daughter case (broken leg) she continued to receive ongoing treatment for 2.5 years, until the rather complicated situation was resolved.
In each case we were given information and choices. Conventional medicine is not compulsory, you do not need to accept the medical treatment discussed ............ at the end of the day it is your choice what treatment you accept.
If a Dr tells you that they can do nothing else for you then that is one opinion given by a person who can only offer advise on their knowledge and the information they have at the time. Find someone else.

There have been some very unfair gross generalisations about the medical profession in this thread which based on my experience is unfounded. Others are more than entitled to their opinions of course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410576 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Horrors in our Food

Huggiechook;406783 wrote: That is a shame because I am genuinly interested what it is that made you believe, trust and recommend the specific page in your previous post.
More to the point - given that everybody seems to agree that there really actually are snake oil salesman out there. How do you determine which is which? :confused:

cappina;406808 wrote: common sense. :D

Good advice. Works for conventional practicioners too [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410644 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Horrors in our Food
jumping back to what thevarneys said about comfrey.. havent used for broken bone, but i do use it on my dogs arthritic tarsis ( sp) joints ( front ankles )his joints get sore and swollen and he is lame.. i take a couple of comfrey leaves, bruise them and tape around his joints.. a couple of hours and the swelling is gone and he is sound again.. and stays that way for a couple of days.. brilliant stuff...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410655 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Horrors in our Food
The native plant kumarahoe (aka gumdiggers soap) is a really good shrub/herb, for skin disorders, coughs, colds, and many other ailments. I have met one person who had her mobility largely restored after application of kumarahoe poultices on her legs when she lost use of them as a child with polio.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410761 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Horrors in our Food
Another great one is Kawakawa, good for cuts, infections, burns, sores etc, and can drink it as a tea for everything inside! The Maori used it as part of their rongoa, holistic health.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds