Horrors in our Food

More
12 years 4 months ago #409565 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Horrors in our Food
Belle Bosse, why do you avoid dairy? Is it because you can't source it from a trusted supplier or are you one of the few who have an actual, rather than imagined, allergy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409582 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;405622 wrote: Obviously you haven't researched aspartame which is the substance that provides the sweetness in Coke Zero [xx(]

No, that is exactly what I was getting at...and also as tv says it is a conversation that could be debated forever.

I drink "coke zero" knowing full well of its bad points. I weigh it up against the alcohol I would otherwise drink.

I agree with the children with helicopter parents. I have never watched over every move my children have made. They have learnt by mistake, and could only make a mistake as big as their physical ability would allow...ie the climb some shelves and fall at 18 mths, but I wouldn't expect they climb a tree and kill themselves at 18 mths because it would be physically impossible.

Children have always had the same behavioural issues, but as already pointed out they just weren't recognised and named.

sorry must also add Simkin that MSG is the one additive that I try to avoid as much as possible. I do intend to try and avoid even more though as I watch the behaviour of my own children (who by the way - because I'm a complete hypocrite - aren't allowed to drink fizzy drink and mostly only have water or milk)

As far as "grandmother recognition" that will change with every generation, so do my children then go by what "their" grandmother would recognise and eat "Arnotts Shapes" "dairy food" etc etc which are things my parents grandmother would not have recognised? (my grandparents would recognise them and buy them - well the shapes at least) I agree with the concept of this one (hopefully getting whole food fully covered)

More
12 years 4 months ago #409585 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Horrors in our Food

Belle Bosse;405704 wrote: ..........
As to the rest of the chemicals/additives in processed "foods" and artificial sweeteners... I'd love to share what I have found, but... I shall severely restrain myself from adding anything further than saying; their Materials Safety Data Sheets when linked together, make for enlightening reading!!

And the 'official' information found on MSDS's is based on isolated data. The reality is that we are exposed to hundreds, if not thousands, of such substances and the synergistic effects of such 'chemical cocktails' are usually far more harmful and virtually unkown :eek:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 4 months ago #409589 by lars arsbjorn
Replied by lars arsbjorn on topic Horrors in our Food
Back almost new additives not required but to raise corporation profitability, during wartime in Europe our food was better modern technology did not improve, research high-fructose corn syrup and aspirane and horrify in horror

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
12 years 4 months ago #409615 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Horrors in our Food
2 points:

1. I am not the least bit worried about additives in our food and feel none the worse for it. So whatever advers effect you guys are feeling I seem to be immune to them.

2. It seems strange that despite this alleged proliferation of toxic chemicals in our food people now are healthier and live longer than they ever have.

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
12 years 4 months ago #409632 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Horrors in our Food
Quite right HC .....
I live on genetically modified insulin which I inject, along with the preservative in it. It is extremely poisonous for a non-diabetic to inject, but for me it is a life-saver and has been for 55 years.
Your body is made to handle anything, so long as there is not too much for it to handle. It can even handle the most poisonous poison known to mankind, which is totally natural (the toxin of Clostridium botulinum). Some toxins are additive, for example the cancer causing compounds in cured meat, and the lead and cadmium in the seafood that you eat, but these are safe if not overeaten.
Varied and moderation is far more important than exclusion and trying to find one safe food. Even water, salt, borage, whatever..... will kill you if you consume too much of it.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409636 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Horrors in our Food
LongRidge - hear hear!

More
12 years 4 months ago #409644 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Horrors in our Food

LongRidge;405786 wrote: Quite right HC .....
I live on genetically modified insulin which I inject, along with the preservative in it. It is extremely poisonous for a non-diabetic to inject, but for me it is a life-saver and has been for 55 years.
Your body is made to handle anything, so long as there is not too much for it to handle. It can even handle the most poisonous poison known to mankind, which is totally natural (the toxin of Clostridium botulinum). Some toxins are additive, for example the cancer causing compounds in cured meat, and the lead and cadmium in the seafood that you eat, but these are safe if not overeaten.
Varied and moderation is far more important than exclusion and trying to find one safe food. Even water, salt, borage, whatever..... will kill you if you consume too much of it.

Well LR, for a large part of the time I give you crap but in this I think you have the right of the matter. Everything in moderation.

For the most part we eat what we produce and I absolutely refuse to sweat the hard stuff about my raw milk on one hand and refined sugar/flour or additives to my corned beef on the other. We don't eat enough of any of it in any given time frame for it to be a problem.

Nor am I ultra clean. I actually like some bacteria in my life. It keeps my immune system doing the job it's supposed to be doing. I am now very much the wrong side of 50, I smoke, I drink, I eat what I like, I rarely get colds, never have the flu, have perfect blood pressure, heart rate, pulse rate, whatever else they like to test you for, no colestral problems etc. The health problems I do have are associated with body overuse and nothing to do with what I imbibe.

A little bit of knowledge is dangerous - so is too much especially when most of it is gleaned off the web, is piecemeal and can be construed to whatever you want it to mean. A bit like reading the bible. Use common sense - and there have been some good commonsense posts in this thread.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 4 months ago #409731 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Horrors in our Food

igor;405709 wrote: Belle Bosse, why do you avoid dairy? Is it because you can't source it from a trusted supplier or are you one of the few who have an actual, rather than imagined, allergy?

The short of it:

I have food intolerances to gluten and casein (milk protein) that are very real. I now have two choices:

1. Change what I eat and enjoy life at its best,
2. Eat what I like and suffer the consequences with poor health.

If it would be helpful to share the un-diagnosed intolerance symptoms and effects leading into chronic fatigue, and recovery, tell me and I will share the experience. I dont want to bore everyone if not.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409748 by Organix

igor;405709 wrote: Belle Bosse, why do you avoid dairy? Is it because you can't source it from a trusted supplier or are you one of the few who have an actual, rather than imagined, allergy?

Belle Bosse;405898 wrote: The short of it:

I have food intolerances to gluten and casein (milk protein) that are very real. I now have two choices:

1. Change what I eat and enjoy life at its best,
2. Eat what I like and suffer the consequences with poor health.

If it would be helpful to share the un-diagnosed intolerance symptoms and effects leading into chronic fatigue, and recovery, tell me and I will share the experience. I dont want to bore everyone if not.

The point that is missed here is that there is a major difference between food intolerances and actual allergies. An allergy will cause a severe and often life threatening response such as in those who have such allergies to nuts, bee stings, particular fruits or environmental substances. My OH has allergic reactions to nuts (walnut, pecan, brazil) and kiwifruit, the reactions to which (if one slips past her radar) she has learned to moderate with a selection of remedies that go everywhere with her. The reactions can potentially reach anaphalactic proportions.

An intolerance is more subtle and in the case of wheat and dairy intolerances is very common to varying degrees to a large percentage of the Western population usually due to degradation of the digestive system by stress, a continual diet dominated by highly refined foods, alcohol, caffeine and use of antibiotics. The main problem is that the gut lining degrades ( leaky gut syndrome ) to the point that proteins such as gluten and lactose are able to pass through it and on into the bloodstream effectively poisoning the sufferer. I have the wheat/dairy intolerance combo so from personal experience can state that wheat products cause me severe lack of concentration, low energy levels, headache, flu like symptoms and diarrhea. I have never liked milk but enjoy cheese though only a small amount of cow milk cheese will cause me 1-2 days of arthritic joint pain together with most of the wheat symptoms. Goat cheese doesn't present these symtoms.

Those with food intolerances are often not recognised by the conventional medical industry mainly due to their inability to understand the complexities of what the sufferer presents with. At best the patient is usually fobbed off with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue, influenza or psychosymatic (all in your head :rolleyes:) whining as a diagnosis because the doctor is trained to dispense drugs rather than recognise the symptoms of a nutrition based ailment. If you more detail on this check out Food Matters :)

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 4 months ago #409754 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;405915 wrote:
Those with food intolerances are often not recognised by the conventional medical industry mainly due to their inability to understand the complexities of what the sufferer presents with. At best the patient is usually fobbed off with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue, influenza or psychosymatic (all in your head :rolleyes:) whining as a diagnosis because the doctor is trained to dispense drugs rather than recognise the symptoms of a nutrition based ailment. If you more detail on this check out Food Matters :)

So true Organix!!
From December 2004 until April 2007 I was in a constant fight with my GP over why I was getting increasingly overwhelmingly tired to the point it was interfering with life, driving, work and the ability to cope in general.
His only fix was to tell me I was depressed and offer anti-depressants. I kept refusing, saying it was something else that was the problem!!

Even when information from a Naturopath was given to him that he could have followed up with pathology testing, it was filed and ignored.

The gluten/casein intolerances were diagnosed by a fantastic Intergrative Dr of Medicine, Environmental Medicine, Nutrition and Naturopathy. He knew how to get to the bottom of why you got sick and how to get well again! His special interest was healing the gut.
This Dr followed up the Naturopath's report and confirmed everything there with pathology tests... Pity there arent more Drs like him around. He gave me a list of Intergrative Drs when I moved to NZ.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409779 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Horrors in our Food
bb, have you tried milk other than cows? Some cows (those with the beta A1 casein gene) and gluten have an interesting part of the protein that breaks down into "opioids", which are very similar to parts of opium. If you are also allergic to opium and it's derivatives (like my Dad was) then you might be tolerant to all other milk than beta A1 casein cows. A2 cows milk is very difficult to get in some parts of NZ, so going for sheep, goat, or horse milk might be easier to get.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409787 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;405915 wrote: ... The main problem is that the gut lining degrades ( leaky gut syndrome ) to the point that proteins such as gluten and lactose are able to pass through it and on into the bloodstream effectively poisoning the sufferer. ...

While the web page you are linking to provides some great prose it is hardly impartial or scientific. Searching the same term on Wikipedia gives a somewhat more skeptical picture. (you may have to wait for it ti un-black though)

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
12 years 4 months ago #409822 by Organix

Huggiechook;405957 wrote: While the web page you are linking to provides some great prose it is hardly impartial or scientific. Searching the same term on Wikipedia gives a somewhat more skeptical picture. (you may have to wait for it ti un-black though)

As LGS is not understood or acknowledged by most conventional medical providers that is pretty much to be expected :rolleyes: Try Googling Leaky Gut syndrome yourself and take your pick of the huge amount of results that it returns.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409826 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;405915 wrote: At best the patient is usually fobbed off with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue, influenza or psychosymatic (all in your head :rolleyes:) whining as a diagnosis because the doctor is trained to dispense drugs rather than recognise the symptoms of a nutrition based ailment. If you more detail on this check out Food Matters :)

True. Depends on the doctor and whether they can be bothered to help you find the cause. The thing to remember is that things like IBS, and also more obvious things like eczema, dermatitis, hayfever and asthma, are all symptoms not diseases. They are the body's reaction to something.

Treating the symptom, like taking aloe vera juice for IBS like my doctor suggested or putting cream on eczema or taking your inhaler for asthma, will not treat the cause. The key is to find the cause and eliminate or control it, which can be tricky because causes can be many and varied, and there may be more than one for a particular person.

Confusion between the terms 'allergy' and 'intolerance' is not helped because 'intolerance' only tends to apply to food. Ingestion is only one route of exposure to whatever it is that a person reacts to. My son reacts to grass pollen - his eyes swell up, his nose runs, he gets red welts on his torso - but his reaction isn't life treatening and is easily treated with antihistamine. In his case, this sort of reaction would be called an allergy not an intolerance because he doesn't eat grass pollen.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds