Horrors in our Food

More
12 years 3 months ago #412436 by RhodeRed
Replied by RhodeRed on topic Horrors in our Food

Huggiechook;408756 wrote: May I ask how you know that with so much certainty?

Research bias is pretty widely recognised.

Heres a fairly mainstream source reference to it that took no effort to find;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funding_bias

I'll back up Simkin that funding bias/research bias is not that rare in instances where industry pitches research to universities or independant laboratories.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #412458 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Horrors in our Food

RhodeRed;408848 wrote: Research bias is pretty widely recognised.

I'll back up Simkin that funding bias/research bias is not that rare in instances where industry pitches research to universities or independant laboratories.

There is also the widely publicised case of Árpád Pusztai who lost his job after finding negative results in GE potato research. When large corporations (in particular) are paying for research, or are paying the researchers' salaries, they view adverse results dimly.

Far less obvious is the reductionist approach that clinical science approaches research with. Nature's functions do not operate in isolation but scientific research is commonly restricted by its perspective (and by cost) to conduct its 'observations' of substances, behaviour, and other factors along very narrow lines. You only see what you are looking for and the reductionist attitude of many in our scientific communities too often results in very myopic observations.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 3 months ago #412463 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Horrors in our Food

RhodeRed;408848 wrote: Research bias is pretty widely recognised.

3 points is response to that:

1. Firstly a quote from the very page you linked:

Main article: scientific misconduct
Scientific malpractice involving shoddy research or data manipulation does occur in rare instances. Often, however, the quality of manufacturers' studies are at least as good as studies that were not funded by a special interest. [2] Therefore, bias usually occurs for other reasons.

Doesn't sound so damning to me.

2. Secondly since we both seem to view Wikipedia as a good source of information you may want to have a look at this page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

3. Lastly - Are you saying that a believer in "alternative medicine" would be completely free of bias? If for example said believer did some proper research on the effectiveness of some alternative remedies compared to pharmaceutical products and against all odds the latter came out ahead. Are you saying that he would then be quite happy to publish his findings to say that it turns out the pill from the pharmacy is actually much better for you than fancy crystals or some other alternative stuff?
I am just asking because my experience so far has been that the alternative crowd will do and say pretty much anything just to avoid or invalidate any kind of proper testing. Seems a bit rich to then go and accuse science of bias.
It may come as a surprise to you that scientists on the other hand are actually very eager to test natural substances and remedies for their effectiveness and if they are found to be effective to find out what makes them so. This is where new medicine, cures, scientific kudos and Nobel prizes come from.

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #413449 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Horrors in our Food
on a lighter note:

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #413510 by morioka
Replied by morioka on topic Horrors in our Food

Huggiechook;409954 wrote: on a lighter note:

Reminds me of the time my FIL overheard of two old dears looking at tomatoes at the supermarket

"Oh don't buy those dear, they've got DNA in them":eek:

More
12 years 3 months ago #413740 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Horrors in our Food

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 3 months ago #413745 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Horrors in our Food
Very good, Organix. :-)
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 3 months ago #413782 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;410271 wrote: Humourous, but true :(

That's a blatant generalisation and casts aspersions that women are poisoners![:0]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #414209 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Horrors in our Food

Stikkibeek;410316 wrote: That's a blatant generalisation and casts aspersions that women are poisoners![:0]

yeah, and most grannies are potential criminals - goes right around to the Food Bill again[8D][8D][:0]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds