Horrors in our Food

More
12 years 4 months ago #409377 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Horrors in our Food

thevarneys;405493 wrote: I am not the type of person (IMHO :D ) to be sucked into 'fads' and propaganda, but do like to read both sides of the argument, and use common sense and wisdom to weigh up what I have learnt. Therefore I am opening a page to find out about life expectancy in early AD as we speak[;)].

Do let us know what you find out!

thevarneys;405493 wrote:
I do think though, the simple adage of mainly eating what foods your grandmother would recognise, is good common sense.

you sure about that? Would your grandmother have applied the same principle? and what about her grandmother? If you take that thinking to its conclusion then we should still be eating the nice warm raw flesh of a recently killed beast accompanied by juicy bark stripped of branches with our bare teeth.
it may pay to remember that your grandmother was told and believed that adding Uranium to stuff was good for you and that she got her drinking water from Led plumbing!!

thevarneys;405493 wrote:
Kids just didnt have the same health issues 100 years ago that they have now - ADHD, ADD, ASD, Diabetes, Obesity etc. I think the main differences between then and now is diet and lifestyle.

No - many kids didn't live long enough to have these issues back then. You need to do some serious research if you believe that people of any age were healthier in the past than they are now. The problem with living in an golden age like this is that people start to actively search for a reason to complain. But never fear - it wont last that terribly much longer.

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409398 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Horrors in our Food
LR - I understand the solanin is mostly in and close to the skin, so peeling removes it. Also I think it is directly related to the green potatoes - the green indicates high level of solanin - maybe it is the sun that makes it increase. And deep frying inactivates it - so chips are good for you![;)][;)] :D

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409401 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Horrors in our Food

Organix;405342 wrote: 'Food safety' classes raw milk as a dangerous and potentially toxic substance but not so Coca Cola :rolleyes: I :)

I have a theory that "Food safety" have a vested interest in food stuffs that they would rather we not know about. Otherwise, why else would they have deliberately with held the brand name of a tested raisin that was so high in pesticides that were both carcinogenic and endocrine disrupting that the public should have had the right to know and therefore avoid buying that brand; and yet they cited "commercial sensitivity" as the reason for not publishing.

My grandmother's philosophy was to "buy only food that would go off and eat it before it does"
She used honey as her only sweetener, ate fresh fruit, and vegetables most of which she grew herself and made her own yoghurt from her "Bulgarian Bug" which she kept alive for many decades. She had no hot running water in her home and used a califont if she needed hot water, gathered newspapers from the neighbourhood and carefully cut them up, selling her efforts to the local butcher, Could still put the palms of her hands flat on the floor with ramrod straight back and knees when she was 89. Walked long distances and lived a remarkable healthy life. She used to tut, tut my mother for feeding us kids, white sugar, white bread and processed cereals like weetbix.

We used to have badly behaved kids at school when I was there. They were referred to as louts, undisciplined, wags, or unruly. They may well have been ADDH or any one of the many other "terms" but it didn't have such a name then, so that doesn't mean it didn't already exist.

I don't remember many kids with broken legs or arms and we played on jungle gyms that were above asphalt or concrete and climbed trees to great heights. Very few fell, nobody broke. Now-a-days they all sport broken limb from falling 2 centimetres off equipment with "safety" fibres underneath. Super Processed food and PC, seems to be breeding a nation of woosies.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 4 months ago #409403 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Horrors in our Food
BRL is correct - life expectancy was pretty low around then. Maybe lack of some medicines and knowledge of cures - they used to bleed a person to purge the sickness. Simple steralising was rare until much later, so I guess any operations or interventions would have meant infection and death.
Huggiechook - I was meaning my grandmother, not 6000 years ago. Historical evidence shows that people did use to cook their meat and make bread way back then.
I don't know about the uranium and what they used it for.
I think societies do develop safer and healthier ways of doing things - through knowledge and greater understanding - take seatbelts and smoking for example. But I think as technology increases, it directly and indirectly affects how we live, and thus our health and wellbeing, eg microwaves, ready made food, easily accessible food etc.
A topic like this could be debated for years with no unanamous conclusion, because different parties have different interests.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409405 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Horrors in our Food

Stikkibeek;405534 wrote: I don't remember many kids with broken legs or arms and we played on jungle gyms that were above asphalt or concrete and climbed trees to great heights. Very few fell, nobody broke. Now-a-days they all sport broken limb from falling 2 centimetres off equipment with "safety" fibres underneath. Super Processed food and PC, seems to be breeding a nation of woosies.

Many children are now so protected by their helicopter parents that when they finally get time to climb and play unsupervised, they have not learned to protect themselves, so do not have a good sense of balance, a knowledge of their own strength, a good grip, cannot plan a safe route over equipment, and do not land well.
The highest injury rates are for children who have not spent a lot of time playing physically in a self-guided way. In one study it was found that when these kids are finally allowed to play unleashed, they try to do what others do with years of experience, and end up with a broken limb within 2 days. (making their parents feel justified in their over-protection)

At least most rural kids have the opportunity to climb a tree/fence etc

More
12 years 4 months ago #409481 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Horrors in our Food

highgirl;405385 wrote: ....
I've always read about the whole coke thing but I like the fact that I can drink "zero" not put on weight and still comply with societies "ideal".

Obviously you haven't researched aspartame which is the substance that provides the sweetness in Coke Zero [xx(]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 4 months ago #409483 by Organix
Regarding the comments posted regarding 'bleached' flour, this is not so much the issue as the removal of the wheat germ during the refining process. This outer coating of the wheat comprises the fibre of the grain together with vitamins such as folic acid (vitamin B9). So then the Ministry of Health move to mandate addition of folic acid in bread :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very interesting interview from Radio NZ on bread here [:0]

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 4 months ago #409484 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Horrors in our Food

thevarneys;405531 wrote: LR - I understand the solanin is mostly in and close to the skin, so peeling removes it. Also I think it is directly related to the green potatoes - the green indicates high level of solanin - maybe it is the sun that makes it increase. And deep frying inactivates it - so chips are good for you![;)][;)] :D

Peeling or cutting off the green parts green potatoes does not remove the solanine! Do not eat potatoes that show green under the skin or that taste at all bitter, and do not feed them to stock.[:0][xx(]
The green is an indicator that the chemical changes triggered by light to protect the potato from being eaten have begun, but the green is chlorophyll, and results from a different process, and is not necessarily in the same place as the solanine, or chaconine (another toxin produced when the potato is exposed to light). These can be distributed throughout the potato, regardless of the location of the green colouring in the spud. Most can be near the surface, but not all is removed by peeling.

More info here.

Yes, deep frying can reduce the solanine, but I'd want them to be cut in shoestrings to maximise the chance of the solanine moving into the fat during the frying! Actually, I think I wouldn't eat them. [xx(]

More
12 years 4 months ago #409486 by Organix

LongRidge;405402 wrote:
Potatoes have so many toxins in them that if they were not natural they would have been considered unsuitable for humans to eat.

Mainly solanine so moderation in consumption is wise :)

LongRidge;405402 wrote: Apples have estrogens in them.

But not nearly as much as soy and hormonally manipulated meat and dairy products have. There is also major concerns about the estrogen mimicking capabilities of many food additives and plastic packaging materials :eek:

LongRidge;405402 wrote: Until cows can be farmed and milked in sterile conditions, these risks will always exist. So until then (presumably they will be farmed in cages, by themselves, and fed pasteurised food), reducing the risk is warranted for most of the population.

The answer is not to try to sterilise nature [:(!] Our bodies are 90%+ bacteria which we live in simbiosis with and are essential to keeping us alive. If we attempt to sterilise ('nuke') these bacteria the alteration we cause in our bacterial profile will usually result in pathogenic bacteria gaining dominance with harmful results. The same situation exists anywhere in nature that we choose to tinker [B)]

LongRidge;405402 wrote: So, don't believe any of that nonsense unless you have fully checked the risks, both chemically and microscopically.

Nature is not inherantly dangerous, until we start trying to 'improve' it with insufficient knowledge.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409498 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Horrors in our Food
Quoting Stephclark:

the list of 'kid' problems above werent even recognised 100 years ago ( many not even 50 years ago ) .. so whilst we consider it a 'modern lifestyle problem' i dont believe these things are anything new.. we have just recently identified them and given them a name.[/quote]
Dead wrong!!

I taught classes of 48 children at their most difficult ages 25 years ago, I was very young and inexperienced. I could turn my back, write something onto the blackboard and the kids would listen and sit still.

I did a short teaching stint 4 years ago - after having raised 3 children myself. It was hell compared to 25 years earlier. Just 11 kids in the class at a decile 9 school. There were 3 who were able to sit still. The others had some problems and it was NOT a class of problem children - rather the opposite. I was told none of the real problem children was in my class but there still were 3 who couldn't pay attention for more than 3 minutes at a time. It was absolutely exhausting.

I got to meet the parents of most of the children and the 3 children who paid attention for long periods of time all had mature stay-at-home mothers who were very aware of what their children ate. One child who had problems had a mother who was desperate to find the cause - together we found it - monosodium glutamate - E621. She eliminated this from her child's diet and bingo - there were 4 kids who could pay attention.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409520 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Horrors in our Food
Personally the comment about Grandma wanting to only eat foods that will go off naturally, but eating them before they do so is wise.

I try to minimise our chemical consumption as much as possible - growing our own spray free food, and will soon have meat chickens running around in the apple orchard as well. I guess we can't get too obsessed by the whole chemical additives situation, as that is likely just as unhealthy (mentally) as the chemical consumption. I guess my advice is to be informed, and make informed decisions. Eat as naturally as you can, in the situations that you can do so, and live in such a way that is responsible on all levels.

I am very sensitive to MSG, E6221, or any of the other names that it's given to hide it in our food - I get heart palpitations, so not something that can be faked... and despite the 'experts' telling us that it's perfectly safe, I choose to reject that idea. Another scary thing I've been reading up on is Glyophosphate (Roundup) and the long term effects of its usage. It's blardy scary to see how rampantly it's used in the States and Canada. We've just come back from a month there and you could see fields, their borders farther than the eye can see, where the crop had been removed months before, and the ground was completely bare - not a green shoot anywhere to be seen. Utter devistation...

We only have one earth, let's not try to destroy it in our lifetime...

More
12 years 4 months ago #409543 by Organix
Very timely discovery of this TED talk on curing MS through diet. Some very pertinant dietary advice from a doctor who is a self proclaimed 'canary in the coalmine' and has cured her MS by dietary experimentation. Enjoy :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #409550 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Horrors in our Food
Somehow or another we got into our possession a packet of "TipTop" hamburger buns before Christmas, and they got shoved in the back the pantry. Hubby found them the other day...still soft, no mold...they went into the garbage anyhoo, but got us wonder just what sort of "preservatives" are in there...

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409561 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Horrors in our Food
thevarneys: Welcome to the wonderful world of Researching Label Readers,
... it gets increasingly fascinating with the more research you do!! Keep up your good work... Organic lifestyle and lifeblock coming up next!

The purity of food is very important in our household. We try to buy unprocessed natural foods. I have had to re-learn to cook from scratch with suitable substitutes to replace the items removed. Next trick is to learn to grow the ingredients organically!
Example: lemon juice in place of vinegar. Coconut oil replacing butter in cooking and avocado replacing butter for bread. For sweetness: honey mainly and occasionally maple syrup or pure fruit juice replacing sugar... your taste buds change after a while and you dont need much in the way of sweeteness. The old level of "sweet" surprisingly becomes "sickly sweet".

Sugar products and especially their chemical substitutes are Banned! Refined processed "foods" with additives, preservatives, MSG, etc; banned. Wheat and dairy products and additives from them: banned! Soy avoided.

This has made the massive difference between existing in a thickening fog of chronic fatigue and successfully climbing Mt Egmont. I prefer the thrill of standing on Mt Egmont watching the clouds spill over the crater rim.

The least processed sugar on the shop shelves is the dark brown Muscovado sugar that still contains all its molasses. Its texture is moist, similar to the lighter brown sugar. It has a strong molasses taste as well... great for rich boiled fruit cakes!

In the days before massive sugar production, figs were home grown and used for sweetening foods.
There is a great selection of old figs available in the nurseries in north NZ:
Edible Gardens, Kuemu Auckland; Northland Plants, Poroti; Kaiwaka Organics; Subtropicals, Whangerei; Subtropica, Waipu to name a few nurseries I have found via the internet. I asked and have been informed that figs dont mind what time of the year they are planted.
Another natural sugar substitute is dates.

As to the rest of the chemicals/additives in processed "foods" and artificial sweeteners... I'd love to share what I have found, but... I shall severely restrain myself from adding anything further than saying; their Materials Safety Data Sheets when linked together, make for enlightening reading!!

Kipling Angel: regarding Roundup... the more I learn about it, the further I want to stay away from the nasty stuff! Can we swap notes?

More
12 years 4 months ago #409564 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Horrors in our Food

NZ Appaloosas;405693 wrote: Somehow or another we got into our possession a packet of "TipTop" hamburger buns before Christmas, and they got shoved in the back the pantry. Hubby found them the other day...still soft, no mold...they went into the garbage anyhoo, but got us wonder just what sort of "preservatives" are in there...

I doubt that it's much to do with preservatives, although there will be liberal use of salt and sugar for that purpose, but more to do with the highly processed components, leaving nothing of value in the bread to actually "go off"
One of the things my grandmother objected to about my mother feeding us kids on white bread.
I rarely eat white bread these days. I find it sits in an undigested lump in my stomach and makes me feel ill for many hours after consuming it. I eat instead, whole grain breads which I always store in the deep freeze and take it out as required.
A lot of the processed industry, is driven by "shelf life" of goods, precisely so they don't go off, retain colour and are "flavour enhanced" with a cocktail of chemicals, often MSG. OH gets severe migraines if he happens to have any of that.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds