M/soft Outlook doesn't receive emails

More
10 years 5 months ago #30300 by eelcat
I have recently got a new PC and the tech man set it up. I now have problems receiving emails (and yes I can ask him on Monday, but today is Saturday).
I now have Windows 7. and Office 2010, thus outlook 2010. Incoming emails bounce to some people but not all, and I can't even send myself an email from my own address. I can receive emails from OH's xtra account but not my gmail account for example. When I send the business an email from my gmail account it doesn't show it as having bounced, yet some people are reporting that they are getting mailer-daemon messages. As this is a business account I am having a minor (read Major) panic. It is almost as if there is a rule set up somewhere that I can't find or interpret. Any suggestions (simple language only please :) )

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409098 by foufee
Just tried sending from both my work account and gmail, neither has bounced yet. If they do, I'll try and interpret the response for you. If they are being bounced though, it would imply a problem upstream from you, unless you host your own domain. Who looks after martinboroughmanner.co.nz.
Did the problem start when you did the switch over to Win7/Office2010, or did it wait a little bit first, it might just be coincidence.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409109 by eelcat
I think I host our own domain - as far as I know we own it as well as our other one martinboroughmanor.co.nz - how would I know if I do or not? I pay some annual fee. It seemed to start after the new PC was set up. One of the ones I know bounced was from a gmail account (I've recevied emails from her before under the old system) and someone with an xtra account (ditto) and someone with an ihug account (ditto)

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 5 months ago #409111 by foufee
sorry eelcat, the knowledgeable one has just gone hunting. I will get him to read this tomorrow

More
10 years 5 months ago #409126 by cappina
... hmm... did you try the 'send/receive' button... happened to some people before [:I]
maybe your old system had an automated sending & receiving and this hasn't been set up yet.
do you have access to your old computer just to get the emails in the meantime?

best of luck anyway...

More
10 years 5 months ago #409162 by eelcat

cappina;405235 wrote: ... hmm... did you try the 'send/receive' button... happened to some people before [:I]
maybe your old system had an automated sending & receiving and this hasn't been set up yet.
do you have access to your old computer just to get the emails in the meantime?

best of luck anyway...

I hit send/receive so many times it is probably worn out! I can get the emails via our webmail so all is not lost mostly (!)

More
10 years 5 months ago #409180 by Aria
I sent you a message yesterday, eelcat (Nonu is ready anytime now) and got the following message back:

The original message was received at Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:19:49 +1300
from This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Transcript of session follows
procmail: Quota exceeded while writing "/var/mail/billpenny"
billpenny... Deferred: local mailer (/usr/bin/procmail) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

Hope that helps with diagnosis of the problem.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409181 by Sue
I think I had a very similar problem when I changed to a new computer with Windows 7.
Ingers Grant helped me greatly! I think I had to open up a gmail account, which then sent the emails to my xtra a/c and then to Windows Live mail as I couldn't use Outlook. Perhaps there is a step in there with your problem he could help with-send him a PM.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409374 by eelcat

Aria;405292 wrote: I sent you a message yesterday, eelcat (Nonu is ready anytime now) and got the following message back:

The original message was received at Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:19:49 +1300
from This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Transcript of session follows
procmail: Quota exceeded while writing "/var/mail/billpenny"
billpenny... Deferred: local mailer (/usr/bin/procmail) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

Hope that helps with diagnosis of the problem.

Thanks Aria - I will check with OH about a suitable day to collect Nonu. I had a delightful conversation with a dear little 5 year old French boy recently. He was wearing AB sock, spoke perfect English with a French accent, and we were talking about my goats and rugby. I told him we were getting a new goat soon and that her name was Nonu, and asked why he thought that was her name. Out fo the mouth of almost babe - because she is all black? so very cute.

Will pass this info on to my techno man this afternoon - thanks

More
10 years 5 months ago #409400 by eelcat
Thank you to all those who helped solve the problem - what had happened was the the server was olverloaded (reached its quota) with spam that I couldn't see to delete. Now a few settings have been changed there, the spam has been deleted, the trash purged and I know where to look for the rubbish as well, so all should be well in the future. Again, thank you for taking the time to help.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409433 by foufee

More
10 years 5 months ago #409446 by cappina

eelcat;405533 wrote: the server was olverloaded (reached its quota) with spam that I couldn't see to delete.

Hi eelcat,

you might receive a lot of spam because your emailadress is a link on your homepage - those 'spam robots' can filter it off a website and use it to spam you.
It should be better to use a picture of it or leave blanks around the @

Are you updating your website yourself?

More
10 years 5 months ago #409448 by eelcat

cappina;405586 wrote: Hi eelcat,

you might receive a lot of spam because your emailadress is a link on your homepage - those 'spam robots' can filter it off a website and use it to spam you.
It should be better to use a picture of it or leave blanks around the @

Are you updating your website yourself?

One website I do myself, the other, the better looking one is done by a web designer man. There were 1032 spam emails, but they came in over an almost three year period. Thanks for the advice I'll have a look.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409453 by cappina
:D 1032! impressive!

Why didn't those emails show up earlier?
aaah, anyway... glad everything works well again!
Getting used to a new system is always a pain! :rolleyes:

More
10 years 5 months ago #409455 by eelcat

cappina;405593 wrote: :D 1032! impressive!

Why didn't those emails show up earlier?
aaah, anyway... glad everything works well again!
Getting used to a new system is always a pain! :rolleyes:

The system was over quota and so they didn't appear in Outlook. If I used webmail, then I could see them and I could also see the Spam folder which was full and what was causing the problem. However, the Spam folder on webmail didn't ever tell me how many items were in it, so I (stupidly) assumed it was empty. 1032 in 3 years is about 300 a year or 6 a week - I was surprised at how few there were. Certainly the Spam filter works as only the "clever" Spam gets past it.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds