Loading Videos onto Computer

More
12 years 1 month ago #30207 by Toast
I've recently got going with video camera & have managed to install software, upload to my C drive, delete, re-name etc.

Where should I store them? With the very large size they are I'm already slowing down my computer.

I could put them on a thumb drive but imagine that would filll up fairly quickly.

Is it good practise to store them on Youtube? What are the safety & security issues?

Camera has an automatic load to Youtube option. If I put them on Youtube can I rename them, edit them (haven't learnt that bit yet), etc or should I go via the computer, do that stuff, then upload to Youtube?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #407993 by NZ Appaloosas
Portable external hard drive....they're not that expensive and come in decent sizes these days...the one I have is even splash-proof.

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 1 month ago #408033 by Belle Bosse

Toast;403987 wrote: I've recently got going with video camera & have managed to install software, upload to my C drive, delete, re-name etc.

Where should I store them? With the very large size they are I'm already slowing down my computer.

I could put them on a thumb drive but imagine that would filll up fairly quickly.

Is it good practise to store them on Youtube? What are the safety & security issues?

Camera has an automatic load to Youtube option. If I put them on Youtube can I rename them, edit them (haven't learnt that bit yet), etc or should I go via the computer, do that stuff, then upload to Youtube?

Thanks.

Hi Toast,
Welcome to the wonderful world of moving pictures!

The safest place to store video footage is on an external hard drive via the computer. This keeps the clarity and sharpness of the video footage and keeps the computer free as well.
Storing on an external hard drive means you have your footage in the raw or edited form when you want it and do not need internet connection if you wish to see your film at a later date.

I take the footage and my husband does the editing on computer and occasionally posts to his prefered website for sharing. I have nothing to do with that, except for suggesting what to keep or ditch in editing. We frequently burn the footage onto DVDs for sharing with friends.

Frequently the footage being transfered to website has to be downgraded in sharpness and quality as I have the camcorder set at highest quality level. The website video is disappointing with loss of quality.

I have a 1TerraBite (1TB) external hard drive back in NZ that is about the size of a thick book. The storage capacity is huge.
Since that one came out, a pocket sized 1TB external hardrive came out which cost less and is only 9cm wide x 13cm long x 1.75cm thick. This one travels with us. A "Seagate".

I think I saw a 2TB hard drive last time I was in PB Technologies in Auckland. www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=c&p=externalhdd They have the best prices in Auckland.

Regarding security: We are selective with what we post to share. I think that is the best way. Some footage is made with intention for general sharing, most is not.
Some websites for posting video footage offer the ability to mark the video for password secured private viewing or unsecured public viewing. I think this is on paid membership ones though.

I dont know what UTube set up is like for posting/storing/security etc.

More
12 years 1 month ago #408120 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Loading Videos onto Computer
Thanks - super info.

Got an exam in the morn & hopefully champagne to celebrate (or whisky to commiserate) tomorrow night & then I can do something with the current videos. Super stuff of the horses jumping at lesson yesterday. Want to send to one of the owners.

Might get time to look at external drives in Hastings tomorrow.

Do you back up your stuff to somewhere safe from fire or what do you do in that regard?

Thanks for help.

More
12 years 1 month ago #408129 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Loading Videos onto Computer
PS - What do you do about emailing video clips?

Do you put them on one of the websites, eg Utube, & then email the link?

What other free sites are there besides Utube?

Thanks for your help. I'm really pleased. Haven't really learnt anything new on the computer for ages & am about to go to a new job where I'll be catapulted even further into the 21st Century, so this is good training.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds