Cat Hotel Dilema

More
10 years 5 months ago #30121 by charlotte1
Cat Hotel Dilema was created by charlotte1
I would just like some opinions on the situation that happened with my sister.

My sister is in Auckland and put her cat in a Cattery to come away with us for a holiday. She got a phone call from the cattery to say that 6 cats escaped 3 were recaptured and that hers is one of the 3 still missing. Poor thing they called her on the last night of the holiday. Apparently they have had fliers out and have a trap set.

So poor sister (swore at the guy that phoned her) flew back home in a rage really upset that her precious cat was missing in the pouring rain. She made up her own fliers with a photo of the cat to distribute and on putting 1 in a letterbox found one of the catteries fliers, the cats had been missing from Wednesday, she was informed on Friday night.

Luckily the cattery was only 2 kms from her home and maybe the cat is making her way home she is a very clever cat but is very timid and sis has only been living at the house for 2 months, luckily other house is very close too and new owner has been informed of what has happened.

She is so upset that she took time to find a "nice" place (also a vet clinic) to board her cat and paid $15 ($120 total) a day up front and booked mid year to ensure a place. The cattery has said they will refund her, but has not happened yet at this stage. Are they entitled to some other compensation?? The cat was a moggy but that is not the point, she was entrusted into their care and they failed.

I feel so bad for my sister, she has no children yet (mid 20's) and this was her baby. She has said if cat came home and they offered free vet care she is not taking the cat anywhere near the place.

So should she be asking for something else other than a refund of the boarding fee as it has caused her alot of stress, so now she spends the rest of her time off work searching for and worrying about the cat and money in printing out more fliers with a photo?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407021 by suckerpunchnz
Replied by suckerpunchnz on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
Wow. That sux!
What cattery was it?

More
10 years 5 months ago #407025 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
Gosh that's a shocking situation - poor cat and its owner.

I can't offer much in the way of advice. Just wanted to say I had another shocking story - a cattery in Blenheim (geez I hope they've gone out of business).

The lady had overbooked the cattery. My cat was already in the cattery, but was "offloaded" back to outside my house where she visited and fed it once a day. Meanwhile I was on holiday, none the wiser, thinking my cat was safe from being run-over etc. Luckily nothing happened. It was during a drought, and my cat was competing with the other neighbourhood cats to get its food. The lady still demanded her money - even reminding me at the supermarket once. I was young, and paid the money. These days she would be on the end of a can whoop arse! Rant over![V]

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407029 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
charlotte1 that's so sad...not sure on compensation side of things. I've always been of the opinion that you can't really compensate such loss. I definitely wouldn't be paying any fees though and I would be chasing them to pay whatever she feels reasonable for the cost of trying to find the cat. How on earth do they justify losing 6 cats? What has happened to the staff member responsible? What is in the fine print about "notification of incidences?"

SarahM, I quite agree, being young you wouldn't have done much but yes, in later years with more experience I definitely would not have been paying...what a cheek!

More
10 years 5 months ago #407031 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
That's awful. I hope the cat turns up - they do have an uncanny way of finding their way home but if someone else feeds it... it may be lost forever.

I would think if monetary compensation is sought there would be a legitimate claim for all expenses incurred with respect to the boarding - and in addition I'd be going for reimbursement of any costs associated with the health/treatments to the cat so far (such as SPCA costs if obtained thru them, or costs to neuter, vaccinate, photocopy fliers etc ..). Small claims tribunal would accept the case I assume if the cattery owner is not prepared to pay up.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407032 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
I've heard of 2 dogs escaping from kennels lately too.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 5 months ago #407033 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
One thing she can try, is go back to where the cattery is situated, in the quiet of the evening and call her cat. Sometimes cats will stay around where they have escaped from. She may get lucky and have her cat come to her.

As for compensation, a lot will depend on what is written in the information about the cattery and whether she signed an agreement of any sort. I would certainly urge her to accept the offer to refund, and make sure that she gets it.
She could also take a photo in to the SPCA. Sometimes people will take strays in there and although a longshot, is worth trying. The photo is important because the SPCA will describe a cat as completely different to how an owner would describe one. A good reason here for others considering boarding their cats, to get them micro chipped. It prevents any unpleasantness over ownership in the event a cat does come into somewhere like the SPCA. They will send a cat out to a new home and will not give details of where that is, to the legitimate owner. Others have been heartbroken over the loss of a cat when this has occured at the SPCA. Microchips are indisputable.

She could also try the direct approach via a doorknock in the area rather than only the pamphlet drop, as a follow-up.

Wish her all the best in the search.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 5 months ago #407036 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
A gate to the outside area was left open and 6 escaped before anyone noticed. We wonder if the 3 returned cats owners will ever be notified of their "adventures". Also there is 2 other people holidaying blissfully unaware that their cats are missing. Hopefully they all return to their respectful homes.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407037 by charlotte1
The cat had a collar put on by the cattery with her name on it. My sister was going to go to the SPCA today to talk to them and give a pic.

I have told her to go and ask people with houses around the cattery to call in their gardens/yards, she went the Motel next door and the lady also has a trap set. There is a large golf course not too far from the cattery but it is closed with only swipecard access, she left a messege for the receptionist but they are most likely to be on holiday, she recons she will wait until a member comes along with a card and will let her in.

I am yet to have todays update, but it is not good so far as would have rung me straight away if she found her.

My 7 year old son made her cry when he said "pets are so special aren't they".

More
10 years 5 months ago #407038 by charlotte1
The cat is not microchipped but if she comes back no doubt will be marched to the vet to be done.

Makes me want to get my pup done too. She is excempt being a working breed on a large farm, but I do take her places with me (like on holiday), shudder to think if she went missing.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407045 by Minky2
Replied by Minky2 on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
Very sorry for your sister and cat. If I were the cattery owners I would be offering some financial help towards replacing the cat if she is not found, such as speying/neutering costs, as well as the refund. Plus a card/written apology. Staff should have been trained to triple check all cattery doors, and there should have been a double door entrance to the outside world. You can't really afford 'mistakes' like that if you run a cattery, although I am sure they feel awful about it. I do hope the cat is found.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407049 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
Charlotte - please consider naming and shaming. This is appalling and there is no escuse. Thinking of those of us who need to use catteries up this way.

I agree with stikibeek as well in her suggestion to go back to where the cat went missing and try calling around there. Maybe a familiar voice will work. All the best - and put a photo of her on here and the area as we all know people and I for one would be happy to pass it on.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407114 by charlotte1
I will go no further than to say it is in Papatoetoe. My sister has found a website where catteries can be rated, she is going to negatively rate this one explaining why.

Cat is a slightly built tabby with no white. She is wearing a white collar from the cattery with her name hand written on it.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407129 by suckerpunchnz
Replied by suckerpunchnz on topic Cat Hotel Dilema
Thanks Charlotte. What's the website?
I'm thinking about putting my cat in a cattery and I live in South Auckland so just wanted to make sure.

More
10 years 5 months ago #407137 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Cat Hotel Dilema

charlotte1;402960 wrote: The cat is not microchipped but if she comes back no doubt will be marched to the vet to be done.

Makes me want to get my pup done too. She is excempt being a working breed on a large farm, but I do take her places with me (like on holiday), shudder to think if she went missing.

We've been discussing this a lot recently pros vs cons of microchipping, and this thread has highlighted one of the biggest pros.

Valuable farm dogs are not getting chipped for a $35 vet visit. Many breeders and farmers have enough dogs to enable them to get certified to chip their own dogs, once the dogs are chipped they go into a data base and can be tracked, and returned to the registered owner if lost. As a breeder I find this reassuring. As a pet owner I am more than happy to have them chipped. I did my puppies at the same time as their last Vaccinations so the only cost was the chip. i.e. no separate vet visit to pay for.

I know we have a natural tendency to say "I'm only doing it because the law says so" and if we can get away with not doing it we will. But this is one situation where I believe the benefits to the majority of owners out weigh the disadvantages to the rest. [;)]

Bad news about the cat BTW, that is very careless of the cattery. Do they have a regulatory body? I know there are stringent requirements for meeting their operating license. You may be able to make a complaint to that body. I hope the cat turns up.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds