E.Reader

More
12 years 6 months ago #30038 by Doug
E.Reader was created by Doug
My wife took the hint and I now have a Sony e.reader book thingy. It only took me about 2 hours to connect it via WiFi to my computer, anyone else probably seconds. At any rate, it only has 5 free books installed. Apparently there are several sites where one can download free e.books to install on my e.reader. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to do this (in simple language eh please) and also which is a safe site from which to download any:rolleyes: software needed and free e.books?
Many thanks,.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #406031 by kate
Replied by kate on topic E.Reader
H Doug

Great prezzie, I have one too. This is a good place to start downloading books www.gutenberg.org/

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 6 months ago #406038 by Murray100
Replied by Murray100 on topic E.Reader
Enjoy your reader, they are great, I've had one for about 8 years and as a heavy reader I rapidly came to prefer it to "real" books - except in the Spa pool!

There are lots of book sites, here are just a few:

Gutenberg is the best but I tend to use www.manybooks.net/ - the books are mainly from Gutenburg but it is better organised.

gutenberg.net.au/ - Gutenberg Australia - different books, some more recent than the USA Gutenberg due to different copyright laws.

gutenberg.ca/ - Gutenberg Canada

If you can download software, the best reader I have found is Mobipocket Reader (which runs on most hardware). Available at www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp?Language=EN as well as books, some free. This is/was a branch of Amazon before they started selling ebooks on their main site.

www.fictionwise.com/ (Barnes & Noble), some free

witguides.com/

www.getfreeebooks.com/

www.baen.com/

girlebooks.com/ - women writers, not "Girly" Books ;>)!

www.munseys.com/site/home

freeread.com.au/

More
12 years 6 months ago #406057 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic E.Reader
We've just been given a Kindle but don't have wireless internet, I think it has a USB port so I suppose downloading books is no prob?
Sorry I sound so ignorant, gadgets are not my thing at all.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 6 months ago #406075 by Murray100
I'm not sure about the Kindle, but it must have a way of copying files via the USB.

Most of the software based readers I've tried (eg Mobipocket reader - see my post above) have two parts, one for your PC and one for your mobile. You download to your PC (where you can usually read too) and synchronise your books etc with your mobile via the USB / Bluetooth.

More
12 years 6 months ago #406090 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic E.Reader
can you download direct to an e .reader or must you d/load to a computer first.and can you surf the net on them or not.tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
12 years 6 months ago #406095 by Murray100
The eBook shops are normal websites and so you can use your browser. Some Reader, for example Mobipocket Reader can directly access eBook stores or can import single files or many files from a folder on your HDD. My preference is to use a browser.

BTW books come in a number of file formats and (if you have a choice) it is worth considering which you use, especially if you buy them, to ensure you can still read them if (or inevitably when) you change platform in future.

While pdf would seem to be the obvious choice, pdf files are hard to read in all reader software that I have seen (even Adobe's own mobile reader software) - apparently it is very difficult to re-format a pdf file.

I prefer to download in "epub" format which is an open standard not tied to any vendor or software supplier - see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB .

While it is possible to convert some formats (eg Mobipocket can convert books from a number of different formats), many are locked to particular readers (Microsoft's "prc" format is particularly bad) and are secured to some extent, preventing their use on other platforms.

It is also worth considering organising the downloaded files outside the reader, both for backup and ease of converting to a different reader in future. It doesn't take long to accumulate them - I have at least 500. There is some nice software for this too.

More
12 years 6 months ago #406099 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic E.Reader
I must be really thick Kate and Murray100 because I am completely lost. When I was a D/I in the NZ Police I managed to solve each and every murder that I was given but computer stuff beats me!
My Sony model PRS-T1 e-reader came with four books already downloaded. They appeared on the Home Page. I managed to start reading one and then "folded a corner" for continuing reading later. At some stage, while fiddling, I think that I managed to "format the internet memory." Now the Home Page does not show the books that were there, instead displays "Continue reading" and "No Books." The menu diddler doesn't work either. Nor does the time clock.
Now I downloaded "Reader for P.C." and the software plus Mobipocket Reader the latter which you suggested Murray. I also downloaded, as a trial, a free e.book from the site you mentioned Kate.
I have found the location of this e-book on my computer (Windows 7 Home Premium) under Acer C:Prog.Files (x86)SonyReaderDesktop. The book title was Wild Oranges. Yeah, right!
I have a Wi-Fi network and the e-reader is attached to my computer with the lead supplied by Sony.
Now I am stuck. I just can't get this b....y book from my p/c to the reader.
Can you help an idiot please?

More
12 years 6 months ago #406103 by Doug
Now I had a good idea and on the E-reader, selected Browser, and entered the gutenburg web site, selected the Wild Oranges Book, epub with no images, the download. Got this message "The SD card is busy. To allow downloads, select "Turn off usb storage in the notification." Might as well be in Chinese for all that means to me!

More
12 years 6 months ago #406106 by Doug
I HAVE DONE IT! I HAVE DONE IT! I HAVE DONE IT!

Yep, I have managed to download and can read my first e.book on my E-READER.
The final stage was simply to remove the cable from the USB hole, eh?
Many thanks to Kate and Murray 100.

More
12 years 6 months ago #406128 by Murray100
Well done Doug - the messages aren't exactly clear, I can't think why the USB and SD are linked in any way that would stop you saving the file!

You may not need this but the next time you connect to the PC see if you can 'see' the Sony device in Windows Explorer - it will probably appear as a disk drive and you should be able to simply copy files across.

More
12 years 6 months ago #406218 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic E.Reader
With regards to the Kindle, if it is the one with free 3G you don't need wireless, if you have good mobile reception (vodafone I understand) then you just turn it on and it'll connect itself as long at the connection is turned on. Yay Kindle, they rock!

More
12 years 6 months ago #406609 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic E.Reader
When I find the blardy lead that came with mine I may get round to finding out how it works.
In his last months my Dh collected up things & put them in a 'safe place' I have not found any of them.
Much to my surprise the new phone I bought at Dick Smiths has ebooks listed on it.
Oh well I may live long enough to figure it out.[:0]

Recovering Lifestyler

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds