Denim Jeans

More
12 years 2 months ago #29897 by Cinsara
Denim Jeans was created by Cinsara
I bought a pair of jeans the other day and they are cardboard stiff which I thought was starch and would wash out, but I have run them through 2 cycles drying them inbetween and have used a ton of fabric softener on them but they can still stand up on their own. Does anyone have any tips to soften them maybe handed down from the "olden days" when I'm assuming all denim was like this for hard wearing farm clothing. The washing instructions say "wear often" :confused: I've never seen that before.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #404263 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Denim Jeans
I dunno Cinsara about the washing bit, but I find the size 12's eventually stretch to my size :D :D by the end of the week and become quite comfy... just don't wash em would be my advice.... :D :D :D :D :D [;)]

More
12 years 2 months ago #404267 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Denim Jeans
Having given up smoking 7 months ago and stacking on 15 kilos I can only dream of a size 12 now :(

>

More
12 years 2 months ago #404270 by 3scoremiles10
Replied by 3scoremiles10 on topic Denim Jeans
All I can think of is rinse with vinegar (makes a great and eco friendly fabric softener) or hang on the line for a few days to weather.

More
12 years 2 months ago #404280 by mikethebike
Replied by mikethebike on topic Denim Jeans
wear them for a couple of weeks without washing them then give them a good hot wash, wish i could get decent jeans nowadays I tend to buy wrangler stretch but they dont last five minutes! But they do fit real good!

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
12 years 2 months ago #404308 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Denim Jeans

mikethebike;399950 wrote: wear them for a couple of weeks without washing them then give them a good hot wash, wish i could get decent jeans nowadays I tend to buy wrangler stretch but they dont last five minutes! But they do fit real good!

Check out rodeo wear stockists on eBay for decent quality jeans. I get Wrangler direct from the US that way for a lot less than in NZ and far better quality. A pair of jeans fits in a USPS mailer so postage is reasonable :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 2 months ago #404317 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic Denim Jeans
Saddlery warehouse are now stocking wrangler.

More
12 years 2 months ago #404324 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Denim Jeans
Try add some washing soda to the rinse cycle - I used to do that when I lived in the US and lived in jeans (Wrangler or Levis). Works a treat, though may have to be repeated if you air-dry them, as they have a tendency to go stiff again.

More
12 years 2 months ago #404327 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Denim Jeans

Cinsara;399936 wrote: Having given up smoking 7 months ago and stacking on 15 kilos I can only dream of a size 12 now :(

It's not necessarily a one-way trip! I gave up 15 years ago, stacked on 18kg, lost it five or so years later, edged up for a few years, but have spent the last six or so in my size 12 jeans! (I was never a steady weight person and fitting into one pair of jeans for that long is a novelty still!) You can always tell those who go out in public little: restricted wardrobes! :D

More
12 years 2 months ago #404355 by Cinsara

Ruth;399999 wrote: those who go out in public little: restricted wardrobes! :D

I hear you Ruth, I am not going to the work Xmas function at a fancy restaurant because I can't fit anything!!!! Well that and it's a long drive home afterwards. I am (was) a natural bean pole consequently my knees and feet are suffering something shocking wih the extra load they have to carry round, so there's no way I could last 5 minutes in my high heels even if I could fit anything. :o

>

More
12 years 2 months ago #404368 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Denim Jeans

Cinsara;400038 wrote: I hear you Ruth, I am not going to the work Xmas function at a fancy restaurant because I can't fit anything!!!! Well that and it's a long drive home afterwards. I am (was) a natural bean pole consequently my knees and feet are suffering something shocking wih the extra load they have to carry round, so there's no way I could last 5 minutes in my high heels even if I could fit anything. :o

Annah S has a new outlet shop in the main road of P and I bought my christmas work function outfit there two weeks ago very reasonably priced... all marked down by lots. :) (after looking at every shop in Sylvia Park, curse the one that has lovely evening outfits but only if you are size 10 or under with twig legs[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)])

More
12 years 2 months ago #404373 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Denim Jeans
Grandma's recipe for softening new material was a handful of salt in the water. Maybe more if the jeans have not softened after using the other products as you have.

More
12 years 2 months ago #404463 by Cinsara
Thanks for the ideas people, I will try them :) I think it is the material as opposed to a topical product so maybe I do need to wear and wear and wear them. Oh joy, walking around in what I liken to a brand new 24oz canvas horse cover sounds very comfy!

>

More
12 years 2 months ago #404465 by Cinsara

swaggie;400052 wrote: Annah S has a new outlet shop in the main road of P

I must be due for my bi-annual walk down the main street soon so I will try to remember to look [;)]

>

More
12 years 2 months ago #404723 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Denim Jeans
Ladies - no helping here with the stiff jeans BUT - I have found the best jeans in the world. They are at Farmers in Manukau and are branded 'gordon smith'. Just trust me - if you want jeans that allow for your tummy etc they are worth investing in I promise. Around $100 but sooooo comfortable. Needless to say, they were out of 12 (probably too tight) so I had to get 14 (slightly big) but that is the story of my life. Now if only they made 13, I'd be a happy camper.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds