An inexpensive gift suggestion

More
10 years 7 months ago #29794 by Ghilly
I just saw the present suggestion posted and suddenly thought, I should pass this idea on. It's for all those people you feel you'd like to give a gift to but not sure what to get.

A friend of mine gives Christmas tree ornaments. They are the sort of thing you can either buy or make and a great thing to add to their tree. Every year when they decorate the tree, that decoration will be a memory of you.

It can be a stocking stuffer and maybe something with a special meaning. We gave our neighbours a little sliver sparkley sheep once and some friends in the UK got jandles. We got some pairs of the smallest jandles we could find and some different coloured glitter glue and I decorated them.

If someone is keen on horses, you could decorate some plastic horses from a toy shop or something. It makes the gift personal and isn't horribly expensive. If you have two legged children of the human variety (non feathered) they can 'Christmas up' the items as well.

I got a shiny flat metal teddy bear with a bow from my cousins family and I think of them giving it to me every time I decorate the tree (not that we have a tree any more... no room, too many indoor companions who would play with things and break them even if we did have the room :rolleyes: )

There's a Christmas Carol I can't remember the name of..... but I've seen the lyrics of the cat version " Christmas tree oh Christmas tree, your ornaments shine temptingly" hmmmm yeah..... and BOY are they tempting!!!! Simon's Cat on Youtube has the perfect example of what happens when you get a playful curious cat and a Christmas tree in the same room.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #403316 by Ghilly
I found the Cat and the Christmas tree link for Simons' Cat!

I hope it works.

Yakut

More
10 years 7 months ago #403320 by lydiar
Excellent gift suggestion, I'd like to send 'kiwi' ornaments overseas but it's tricky finding any that are ready made - I'm fairly craft impaired:o. Last year I managed to find a cute kakapo made of somekind of bottle brush type stuff in an Auckland souvenir store.

p.s Very funny vid :D Thanks for sharing - now I'm wondering if a tree is a good idea in our house... this is my first year with an indoor cat....

More
10 years 7 months ago #403322 by Ghilly
My late cat Tree, was slightly feral. We put a small fake Christmas tree up on a table (out of the way, yeah right) Considering she'd climb the curtains after moths, flies, or anything else that grabbed her attention, it didn't work.

She spied the shiny baubles and launched herself into serious playtime. The tree fell over, Tree went with it. We laughed, ooooooh the LOOKS we got... cats don't like being laughed at.

Putting a wee catnip mouse or fish or whatever, wrapped up under the Christmas tree isn't a plan either.

I went to Mum and Dad's for Christmas dinner one year and took my beloved Nako (cat) with me, he went loads of places with me and Mum and Dad's was a regular visit for him. Mum had the Christmas tree in the lounge with the lounge doors shut. When the relatives started arriving, she opened the door to the lounge. Nako wandered in. His nose led him straight to the tree. He sniffed around through the presents, found the catnip mouse I'd wrapped up and raced upstairs with it. I followed him in hot pursuit. By the time I found him under a bed, (not very long), the mouse was not only unwrapped but shredded, bits of dacron stuffing everywhere and a wild look in his eye. 'Twas HIS mousie and I shan't touch.

Well I did touch! I got him and the remnants of mousie out from under the bed and took him downstairs where he blissed out on the fragments of the thick wool the mouse had been made out of.

Aside from catnip toys, some cats aren't that fussed with catnip, the next best thing for a cat toy is either a paper bag or a cardboard box with holes cut in it. Cheap, replaceable and endless amusement for everyone, just don't laugh out loud or the said cat will strut off in a mood. Lol..... Nako stretched while he was asleep on the couch and slid off. I laughed, he gave me a totally 'not amused' look and walked off in a huff to sleep on the bed.

He was part Burmese and had an amazing personality and character. I could talk to him and it was like he understood a lot of the time. He was always called inside at night and one evening (well very early one morning) we were seeing visitors out the front door and he got out. He made off down the path at the side of the house. He was halfway along the path when I called out "Nako! I've got chocolate!" He turned around and came back. Ok so I know chocolate is not good for animals but I knew it was something he would steal if he got half the chance. He stole what was left of a chocolate Easter egg I was saving. I got home one night to find the foil on the bed, no chocolate. He was asleep on the bed and looking mighty pleased about it all. HE never bothered about the Christmas tree, just what was under it.

A friends cat brought in her own present for under the tree...... a dead rabbit. Everything had to be rewrapped and in some cases washed. How NICE!!!!! Lol.

If you have inside animals, you're going to have a little extra fun at Christmas, pilfered food, wrapping paper played in and torn into squillions of wet soggy pieces. Oh the fun! Lol... just keep the chocolate out of reach at all times.

My dog Bria helped herself to a Christmas mince pie or two out of the packet when we went outside to see friends off. It doesn't take long for them to sniff out opportunities.

Check out the other Simons' cat cartoons on You Tube, they are so accurate! Lol, including Simons' sisters dog... feeding the dog under the table is NOT a good idea. Lol.

Yakut

More
10 years 7 months ago #403371 by Andrea1
My MIL gives each of my two children (now 19 and 15) an ornament each year, with a handwritten card describing why she's chosen that particular ornament that each. Each one is personal to that child - something they've done over the course of the year, hobbies they've had, things they've done together with their Nonna. DS has 18 (he'll get his 19th this year), DD has 14. It's such a cool idea, and helps all of us remember special times.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds