Customs

More
10 years 7 months ago #29664 by Simkin
Customs was created by Simkin
Does anyone have experience with bringing stuff into NZ when returning from an overseas trip? Under which circumstances does customs charge?

The scenario may be to bring a blender to NZ, still in its original packaging.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402044 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Customs
Ring Customs themselves and ask. They are reasonably helpful. But if you dont get the answer you are looking for, ring a customs broker and ask them. They know everything there is to know on the subject :cool:

More
10 years 7 months ago #402045 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Customs
it may depend on where from...i've had all sorts of interesting experiences... most of them completely unintentional :D

More
10 years 7 months ago #402048 by Shropshire Blue
Replied by Shropshire Blue on topic Customs
We've brought back in stuff from UK with no problems and probably were over the limits !!

More info here taken from www.customs.govt.nz/features/charges/fees/Pages/default.aspx

Fees and charges for accompanied goods

Accompanied goods are goods (excluding your clothing and other personal effects) that are travelling with you on the same flight or ship, and that are for your own personal use. When you travel with your goods you have a personal concession of NZ$700. If you are over this amount then you may have some Customs charges to pay.

Your charges will be worked out using the:
If the total you owe us in duty and GST charges is less than NZ$60, then no money will be collected. This does not apply if you are importing alcohol and tobacco products.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402062 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Customs
Thank you, especially Shropshire Blue.

I had a look at the link and am a bit puzzled: It first says that there is a $700 personal concession but in the examples the value of the goods is usually lower like this 'footwear and clothing:

Description​ Amount​ a) Value for duty of goods (foreign)​ US$190.00​ b) Value for duty of goods (NZ) – converted at Customs exchange rate​ NZ$250.00​ c) Rate of duty 10% of (b)​ $25.00​ d) Shipping and insurance costs (NZ$)​ $70.00​ e) GST value (b + c + d)​ $345.00​ f) Goods and Services Tax 15% applied to (e)​ $51.75​ Total Customs charges payable (c + f)​ $76.75​

What if you are wearing those shoes, plus a $200 jeans, a new watch and a leather jacket that cost $600 (not that I have any of these things - ) do they go through your stuff when you arrive and add up AND charge import duty on the freight as well?

And how do they distinguish between the ring you inherited from your great grandmother and the antique ring you bought overseas for $5000??? (fabricated case but am still interested to know)

More
10 years 7 months ago #402073 by Chris-HB
Replied by Chris-HB on topic Customs
In practice, stuff like clothing you're wearing and jewellery you're wearing is ignored by Customs. It's obvious big-ticket items that grab their attention.

As regards importing stuff by mail, unless it exceeds $400 NZ including postage, Customs aren't really interested in it

Chris-HB

More
10 years 7 months ago #402103 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Customs
hi simkin..generally they are not interested in what you are wearing on your person..hence the reason people ( or maybe just the ones i know [:I] ) .. have things like unset stones ( duty payable ) set in crap metal rings, necklace, ear rings etc and wear them in ( not duty payable )..
i worked with a woman who came from sth africa.. sold everything she owned there ( house etc ).. had the whole lot $$ wise converted to gold bracelets, had these weilded around her arms and bought the lot in.. last i saw of her she was still wearing a small fortune

More
10 years 7 months ago #402358 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Customs
Make sure you have the receipt for the blender with you as there is then no question about its value. If you bring in only one its likely they won't charge if its for your own use. And be open about the fact you have it.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402383 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Customs
Make a farm visit before you come home and then come through the agricultural line (can't remember what it's called). They'll be far more interested in your dirty shoes than in some blender.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402427 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Customs
Over the last 17 years we have brought back some interesting objects via the plane and never had an issue. SOH received a spade once for Christmas in aussie and as he had plenty of those there, we brought it across with us to NZ on our next trip, unused. the people behind us in the queue to check in were asking (very quietly but enough so I could hear) why anyone would want to bring a spade to NZ.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

but basically they don't care if its a once off, its when you start importing them by the pallet load customs get interested in duty and GST payable.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402460 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Customs

Anne;397833 wrote: Make a farm visit before you come home and then come through the agricultural line (can't remember what it's called). They'll be far more interested in your dirty shoes than in some blender.

Love it :D

It's our son who will be coming home soon - I haven't left the SI for more than 20 years now:rolleyes:

I'll pass on these tips to him - many thanks :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #402594 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Customs
We have always gone through the declare line as its much quicker, and when your travelling with a child generally you are carrying some sort of formula or food anyhow. That is how we got onto knowing about the declare line.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds